Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sis said it was about 15 mins quicker getting from the Whest to Arkla today, but that was shortly after lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

vickers209 wrote: »
    How did the first bank holiday Friday evening go?
    Am in Wicklow for the weekend and was on the old N11 between the Beehive and Jack Whites a few times yesterday afternoon between 5 and 8pm. Crossed over the M11 several times - traffic was heavy but flying along. Any local I spoke to is delighted with the safety and freedom the new road has given them. Was on the motorway myself going into Arklow about 9pm and passed several cyclists on the way. ( Crazy stuff. :( ) Traffic was still very heavy but moving well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

lottpaul wrote: »
    Was on the motorway myself going into Arklow about 9pm and passed several cyclists on the way. ( Crazy stuff. :( )
    Gardai in Gorey/Arklow seem pretty lax on this cycling on the motorway thing.

jd wrote: »
    Gardai in Gorey/Arklow seem pretty lax on this cycling on the motorway thing.
    Probably too busy playing with Gatso's, easier to issue speeding tickets than to take cyclists to court. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Patww79 wrote: »

Are there any in Wickla? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Probably too busy playing with Gatso's, easier to issue speeding tickets than to take cyclists to court. :rolleyes:
    Didn't the fixed penalties for cyclists come into effect yesterday? Might provoke some activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

xper wrote:
    Didn't the fixed penalties for cyclists come into effect yesterday? Might provoke some activity.

"Cycling on the motorway" isn't one of the offences though. They'll be busy booking cyclists for going through pedestrian crossings where the person who pressed the button is long gone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Not really my business as I do not live in Ireland, but I have seen this on the M11 during visits. I would write to the NRA, Chief of police, MP, Irish Times etc. Maybe phone in to RTE radio to raise the profile.

Of course that is all very well if you have lots of time on your hands which most of us don't.

The fact that the police ignore you when you report these incidents is an indication that there is no policy among their seniors to deal with the problem.

Ridiculous really. Unfortunately, it will gain the necessary profile only when a cyclist or jogger is killed.

Amazing thing; was in Arklow today so travelled the M11 in both direction between there and the M50.

I did not see a single cyclist on M-way sections of the road, even though it was a brilliant sunny day when you expect droves of them!

Is this a record? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Any update on when the new service station is due to open?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pat Lambert and the Texaco in Camolin are probably praying for never, what with the only other station online for some distance gone now...

Curious why Redcross is signposted from the Beehive Northbound. and not from Jack Whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Curious why Redcross is signposted from the Beehive Northbound. and not from Jack Whites.

I'm assuming because the strategic routing is along the regional road rather than the local one.

mackerski wrote: »
    I'm assuming because the strategic routing is along the regional road rather than the local one.

Maybe it makes sense to route from Jack Whites via the R772&R754 back from Barndarrig, instead of taking the more direct L5163.
    But I can't see any reason to direct traffic to the Beehive junction northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Any update on when the new service station is due to open?

The fit out tender hasn't even gone out for pricing yet... so not soon.....

That's OK, makes sense, no doubling back. Northbound it is signed from the Arklow North exit I think.

btw; anyone else notice that southbound (only), at both Arklow exits, there are large (non-compliant) arrows in the travelling lane indicating that you are in the Arklow exit ramp.....before you actually reach the exit lane?

This has been the case since the Arklow bypass opened 15 years ago - I assumed they'd be removed when the road was upgraded to M-way; instead the bizarre markings have been re-painted.

This is unique in Ireland. Is it a Wickla thingy? What gives? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That's OK, makes sense, no doubling back. Northbound it is signed from the Arklow North exit I think.

btw; anyone else notice that southbound (only), at both Arklow exits, there are large (non-compliant) arrows in the travelling lane indicating that you are in the Arklow exit ramp.....before you actually reach the exit lane?

This has been the case since the Arklow bypass opened 15 years ago - I assumed they'd be removed when the road was upgraded to M-way; instead the bizarre markings have been re-painted.

This is unique in Ireland. Is it a Wickla thingy? What gives? :confused:
    Not sure where these arrows are, but I found something else non-compliant - it still says N11 here!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not sure where these arrows are, but I found something else non-compliant - it still says N11 here!

What the phuck is that about?!! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That road was N11 before it was redesignated M11 in 2009, so the original N11 markings still exist on the road as they were never changed. There's N7 ones on the Limerick SRR too after J29 eastbound

marno21 wrote: »
    That road was N11 before it was redesignated M11 in 2009, so the original N11 markings still exist on the road as they were never changed. There's N7 ones on the Limerick SRR too after J29 eastbound

2009? That's 6 years ago - those look like they've been refreshed; just like the bizarre southbound lane marking at both Arklow exits.

legally, the road is the N11....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

legally, the road is the N11....
    Nah, that doesn't explain it. It's legally the N11 and M11 in practice.

I found the exact spot with the weird arrows, though - it's here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

If you guys were wondering what's up with the MSA near Gorey, this might explain it...

Middle Man wrote: »
    If you guys were wondering what's up with the MSA near Gorey, this might explain it...

I hope that challenge succeeds......I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Middle Man wrote: »

Hopefully it succeeds. I'm sure I'm not the only person on the M11 who will bypass this service station if Topaz has the contract.

• Advertisement

2009? That's 6 years ago - those look like they've been refreshed; just like the bizarre southbound lane marking at both Arklow exits.

I had a good look at the weekend. The paint is definitely old, pre m11 vintage.

I'd say it's a sop to the shopkeepers who were against the bypass for years

Advertisement