Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I can't even think about a dress until March or April next year at the earliest - and I'm getting married the following September! Talk about cutting it fine!

Yeah you are def cutting it fine Shasha. It can take 6-8 months to get a dress in so i really wouldnt wait that long, unless you buying one off the rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Dont stress though ShaShaBear, there is a huge selection buying off the rail and great discounts too! My dress is a sample:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Shasha don't worry it all depends about what you want.. Lots of people said this to me too saying OMG you wont have one. Think this is really only for people who know exactly what they want. If you a little more relaxed about it. Brides of Eire in Clon do fab sales every now and again where you can buy off the shelf. There are loads of dresses on line for sale on the wedding sites... youll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Macphaid

Thanks Dovies I''ll do my best to keep the photos short!

Anybody have good recommendations for different reception music. I'd love a Jazzy/blues singer but a combo of ceremony and reception singer to keep costs low.

Anyone got good ceremony/reception singers or know what I should be expecting to pay? Quite hard from abroad and can't even go and see them :(

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Checking up on savings lately and we are well on track which is a huge relief. Starting to feel ready to book the honeymoon now. I'm thinking about Bali or Malaysia. Going to find out options this weekend

• Advertisement

Macphaid- I was quoted 450 for 3 of the band members to do acoustic music for drinks reception - I'm undecided just yet.

Well done on the savings westernlass. I'm not long back from maternity leave which used all my savings so starting from scratch :( Have about a third of the budget between deposits paid & savings so getting there! Honeymoon will be last minute I think!!Bali/Malaysia sound amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Checking up on savings lately and we are well on track which is a huge relief. Starting to feel ready to book the honeymoon now. I'm thinking about Bali or Malaysia. Going to find out options this weekend

Let me know if I can be of any help. (just back from malaysia). I can recommend a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah you are def cutting it fine Shasha. It can take 6-8 months to get a dress in so i really wouldnt wait that long, unless you buying one off the rail.

I'm 23 weeks preggers andreac, not be able to get a dress without my bump until January at the very earliest. And if I go two weeks over again, it'll be at least February. Since I'm planning on losing close to 4 stone before the wedding, I imagine that could totally mess up how a dress looks, so I'm trying to leave it until I'm a little closer to target!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm 23 weeks preggers andreac, not be able to get a dress without my bump until January at the very earliest. And if I go two weeks over again, it'll be at least February. Since I'm planning on losing close to 4 stone before the wedding, I imagine that could totally mess up how a dress looks, so I'm trying to leave it until I'm a little closer to target!

Oh oops, silly me. I didnt realise. :o

andreac wrote: »
    Oh oops, silly me. I didnt realise. :o

I've no one to blame but myself.. and maybe himself lol

As it happens I'm trying Barnados and Oxam first, so fingers crossed I score lucky!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

I've no one to blame but myself.. and maybe himself lol

As it happens I'm trying Barnados and Oxam first, so fingers crossed I score lucky!!
    Ive got my dress online from adoring dress.
    I was a bit worried because its a Chinese site but reviews looked good and dresses are so cheap I couldn't resist.
    They have a custom size option so I did that as it costs the same.
    Got my dress in about 5/6 weeks and its perfect.
    So even buying close to your date is doable don't worry :). .
    And I've also saved a huge amount on dress budget which is a bonus.

Macphaid- I was quoted 450 for 3 of the band members to do acoustic music for drinks reception - I'm undecided just yet.

Hi Shortstuff, do you mind me asking who the three members are? I have been quoted similar but not for as many people. Thanks a bunch

B2B's- this could be a strange one, but I was hoping to maybe get a vintage/retro old mini as my wedding car, or something with this feel! I'm not sure about the VW campers just yet but was seeing if something smaller would work. Anyone booked any cars yet?

Macphaid wrote: »

Hi Shortstuff, do you mind me asking who the three members are? I have been quoted similar but not for as many people. Thanks a bunch

The main band (9piece) are called electric avenue & the trio are Acoustic avenue. Don't think they have a separate site for the Acoustic part so maybe search electric avenue. Theyre based in drogheda & have a showcase Sunday as it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lover_of_life

Hi ladies.
    Just wondering if there are any May 2016 brides out there.
    Im getting married in Bellingham castle in May 2016.
    I would love to hear from you all on how the planning is getting on. Any advice from your experiences so far.
    xx

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Where is the best place to get bridal dresses? I have looked in a few in the West & haven't had any luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Hi ladies!
    I'm December 2016 so it feels like I've loads of time yet. Have the church, priest, hotel, photographer and band booked. Taking a bit of a break now! Undecided on whether or not to get a video, don't think we will bother. I love the photo booths but was at a wedding lately where it was sort of DIY with an Instax (I think!) instant camera. Leaning towards that instead of the €500-600 for rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Where is the best place to get bridal dresses? I have looked in a few in the West & haven't had any luck!!!!

Have you tried Dinagh Modes in Castlerea, I got my dress there I had it picked in 45 mins, pamela is lovely and gives great advice.
    Love it can't wait to see it again at alteration time.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Rose35 wrote: »
    Have you tried Dinagh Modes in Castlerea, I got my dress there I had it picked in 45 mins, pamela is lovely and gives great advice.
    Love it can't wait to see it again at alteration time.

I actually ended up going to her during the week and thought she was brilliant. I didnt go there thinking I would get a dress from her but having come home and looked in 1 other shop I feel like I trust Pamelas advice more than the others who are just trying to sell a dress.
    Is she making your wedding dress or is it by a specific designer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I actually ended up going to her during the week and thought she was brilliant. I didnt go there thinking I would get a dress from her but having come home and looked in 1 other shop I feel like I trust Pamelas advice more than the others who are just trying to sell a dress.
    Is she making your wedding dress or is it by a specific designer?

It's a SINCERITY dress as far as I remember, I know I was so chuffed with it I kinda tuned out and got lost in a fairytale in my head, it is strapless but she can add straps or anything you think you might like to dress, think i am going to leave it as it is. I know of another girl who went back to her after looking around and it's just that feeling of honesty and trust that is very comforting.

Hi ladies.
    Just wondering if there are any May 2016 brides out there.
    Im getting married in Bellingham castle in May 2016.
    I would love to hear from you all on how the planning is getting on. Any advice from your experiences so far.
    xx
    I'm 2016 at the woodenbridge hotel. :-)
    Have venue booked and ceremony on site. Humanist booked and dress and shoes bought. Looking at bridesmaid and flower girl dresses atm.
    Family doing photography so thats a good chunk of cost gone.
    Trying to decide whether or not to get a band for 40/50 people.

Macphaid wrote: »
    B2B's- this could be a strange one, but I was hoping to maybe get a vintage/retro old mini as my wedding car, or something with this feel! I'm not sure about the VW campers just yet but was seeing if something smaller would work. Anyone booked any cars yet?
    Type in vintage wedding car on adverts
    Light blue vintage Chevrolet if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

sm213 wrote: »
    I'm 2016 at the woodenbridge hotel. :-)
    Have venue booked and ceremony on site. Humanist booked and dress and shoes bought. Looking at bridesmaid and flower girl dresses atm.
    Family doing photography so thats a good chunk of cost gone.
    Trying to decide whether or not to get a band for 40/50 people.

We are having 60 plus maybe 30 extra for afters and the band is costing a good chunk of budget, in the end we decided to do it and use any pressies to cover some of the cost as I have always loved the live music aspect of a wedding. Not doing favours, paying for photography or videography or cars etc so saving some money there.

etymon wrote: »
    We are having 60 plus maybe 30 extra for afters and the band is costing a good chunk of budget, in the end we decided to do it and use any pressies to cover some of the cost as I have always loved the live music aspect of a wedding. Not doing favours, paying for photography or videography or cars etc so saving some money there.

We're getting a band and only have around 60 guests as well! I love the live music aspect of a wedding and although the DJ we were getting to cover the whole night initially is out of this world, it just wouldn't be the same as the lively, friendly, performance you get from a good, crowd-rousing band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bride2016

I'm getting married in the woodenbridge next year also. Our numbers will be around the 50 mark also with more to the afters. We decided not to have a band. We have a small budget and didn't justify spending €2000 on a band and dj so just settled on a sh for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hi everyone,

Been getting a few bits and bobs done in the last few weeks/months. Have my shoes and jewellery sorted, flower girl dress and earrings (her first proper pair!).
    Next on my list is the vases and sand for our ceremony. Anyone any suggestions of shops that would stock these please? I've looked on eBay and Amazon but would prefer to see it all in person before buying. I'm in Dublin if anyone can help.

We're having around 80 to the afters and are having a DJ for the full night. Couldn't justify the price of a band tbh and the room we're having our afters in would be too small for the band and all their equipment but I'm happy with just the DJ.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We just had a DJ - it worked out very well for us. Saved a bunch of money by not having a band.

Bride2016 wrote: »
    I'm getting married in the woodenbridge next year also. Our numbers will be around the 50 mark also with more to the afters. We decided not to have a band. We have a small budget and didn't justify spending €2000 on a band and dj so just settled on a sh for the night.

Yeah with the woodenbridge prices you end up nearly paying same for band it seems a bit mad.
    We would love one but with two kids can't justify it on one wage.
    I understand people getting a band if I had the money I would too but I really just want to be married at the end of the day.
    We'd rather save some money to start on a deposit for a house more than a big wedding. But thats just our situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

We just had a DJ - it worked out very well for us. Saved a bunch of money by not having a band.

That's good to hear. I've never been to a wedding with just a DJ so I was a bit unsure as to whether it would be ok but I'm sure it'll be grand!

Advertisement