Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ul co op

Options
  • 29-05-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi i am going on co op in january. I am studying arts in ul. I am keeping on economics history german. None of the other co op options have interesred me but my old secondary school have been very helpful.

Any advice on taking co op for 6months in a secondary school. Is it worth it? I really want to see if teaching is for me

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

From my memory of friends in ul they got paid for coop. If you go to a school you wouldn't be entitled to be paid as you're not tc registered.

that might be enough to make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

The co-op year is a valuable opportunity to get hands on experience in an area. In a school you wouldn't be teaching classes, planning or supervising. You wouldn't have a role as you are not a dip student. To be honest it would be a frustrating placement for you.
    As op mentioned you wouldn't get paid.
    As you have German would you consider an Erasmus year to improve your language skills? Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The co-op year is a valuable opportunity to get hands on experience in an area. In a school you wouldn't be teaching classes, planning or supervising. You wouldn't have a role as you are not a dip student. To be honest it would be a frustrating placement for you.
    As op mentioned you wouldn't get paid.
    As you have German would you consider an Erasmus year to improve your language skills? Best of luck!

Actually there is a student in my friend's school (teaching her classes) who is doing just as the OP describes.

Not sure how it would work OP, it's a long stint in a school, I'm sure you would know after 6 months if you would like it or not. Have the co-op office in UL said you can do this and are the school willing to take you on as a student teacher? Have you been abroad as part of your degree. From what I understand there is a Teaching Council requirement that you spend 3 months in living/working in a country where the language you are learning is the native language.

Advertisement