Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Quote a Day........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xander81

"When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean."
    —Lin-Chi

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lance06

"The best way to predict the future is to create it."
    -Peter Drucker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A couple from Robert Mccammon

“Even the most worthless thing in the world can be beautiful, it just takes the right touch”

“The same river can never be crossed twice. The flowing water has no memory of footprints.”

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I like this, in the response to being asked " are you happy?"

- "I've no reason to be unhappy, and that is almost the same"

It's very appropriate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

A country grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit it. -Greek proverb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Howard Thurman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

"There is no greater sorrow in life than while in present grief, remembering past happiness"

Dante Alighieri

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't - you're right

Henry Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind'
    -C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
    - J.R.R. Tolkien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"A life is made up of a great number of small incidents and a small number of great ones." - Roald Dahl.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

"i feel like a wet seed wild in the hot blind earth" - William Faulkner

That moment everyday where I feel just a tiny little bit lost in it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

6806749743_e910d2cfd1_z.jpg?w=490&h=545

- Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

"However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at it. While there's life there's hope" - Stephen Hawking

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chrome342

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
    ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"When I came back to Dublin I was court-martialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."

- Brendan Behan

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

“Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong.”

- Muhammed Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes..." - Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

When somebody shows you their true colours, believe them the first time.(Me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Heard this one today and I'm going to try to keep it in mind next time I find myself in an argument...

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."

- Jonathan Swift

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

There are some people who could hear you speak a thousand words and still not understand you.
    And there are others who will understand without you even speaking a word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If it wasn't for me, I'd do brilliantly. Chamfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just a couple that I like from my current book.
    “Faith, “ Bick said “gives a thing power .Belief is one of the most powerful assets mankind possesses. It’s a damn shame so few folks take advantage of it. Of course the world is set up to make it hard to believe, really believe – that’s part of the elegant trap of it.”

This is a world made for mortals. It has rules , restrictions upon the divine and spiritual. Creation is a beautiful tapestry , a gift and a guide from the ineffable to the mortal ,but in the end it is man’s world and men alone must decide their faith and the worlds. They decide it through their behaviour , their choices ,their deeds and their discipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Thomas_.

" “Faith, “ Bick said “gives a thing power .Belief is one of the most powerful assets mankind possesses."

Reminded me on a sequence in the film "Into the Storm" where FDR says to Churchill "belief is power, doubt cramps energy ...".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Is that a book you're reading or one you're writing?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

"What we are looking for is what is looking."

- Francis of Assisi

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

After all, what can we ever gain in forever looking back and blaming ourselves, if our lives have not turned out quite as we might have wished?

Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains Of The Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

“Truth told with bad intent, beats all the lies you can invent.”

– William Blake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

From that day forward she lived happily ever after. Except for the dying at the end. And the heartbreak in between.
    - Lucius Shepard, The Scalehunters Beautiful Daughter

Advertisement