Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Larbre34, I've edited your post. I see no need to include details of ethnicity or nationality in posts of that nature as it adds nothing to the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Zaph wrote: »
    Larbre34, I've edited your post. I see no need to include details of ethnicity or nationality in posts of that nature as it adds nothing to the post.

I don't agree, I wouldn't have described the guy in so many similar ethnic terms as Lambre34 before describing him simply as a young black guy.

Is there a problem in saying an old white guy, a small heavy set guy, a tall country sounding guy, or is it only colour that you are not happy with?

I looked at the charter and understand that racial comments are not on.

A lot of what this thread is about is warning people in the area about crime, and to warn about those involved in committing the crime.

If you censor the descriptions of those we suspect of carrying out these crimes then we may as well say "I saw it break my window" or not bother to post at all.

What do you think as an Admin, is saying he had a Dub accent or an Eastern european accent a problem, personally I don't.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If the post was reporting a specific incident where he was mugged by the guy or saw him committing a crime, then yes, as precise a description as possible is definitely warranted, and that includes colour, nationality, accent, etc., as well as other non-personal details such as location. But where a post is non-specific, such as this one merely mentioning seeing a teenager being chased by the Gardaí in an unspecified location without actually knowing what was going on, then whether they were white, black, purple or polka dot is completely immaterial. Now to be fair to Larbre34, they did seem to be trying to be as politically correct as possible in their post, but it wasn't removed on PC grounds, but rather I saw it as an irrelevant detail given the nature of the rest of the post.

Thanks for the explanation, most of the posts here are close calls, 2nd hand information or, hear say, so the descriptions may be a bit sketchy, but we hope they are helpful to those living in the area as a resource.

The better the descriptions that we give without the PC crap the better.

Leave the judging to you.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

not sure why anyone would want to steal a cat.. pretty strange. if it is for a pet for someone else the cat will most likely attempt to make its own way back home as they do. as for the garda chasing your man. its a simple case of overweight laziness. i would have vaulted that gate and been hot on his heels no hassle. stupid lazy gits. ah sure pj we'll catch him again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I respect the moderation of posts and I know why its done but I would have included whatever ethnicity he was, white, oriental asian, sub-continental asian etc, in case it rang a bell with a particular incident other readers might have been aware of that had the Gardaí after him in the first place

I admit I was being tongue in cheek with the PC descriptions as when you say black you'll always get some smartarse coming commenting that it should be african, black-irish or whatever and I wanted to take the heat out of that irrelevance straight away. Apologies if that backfired somewhat, but I hope people see the substance of the post

The Traveler kids pretending to be looking for sponsorship, begging under false pretences are back going door to door on the Navan road again, this time 6 kids running door to door followed by 2 cars.
    Called Cabra station, no answer.
    The locals were shouting at them to go away, "scam merchants" "here every week".

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

9 houses - including mine - were broken into across Limelawn / Charnwood / Castlefield in Clonsilla Sunday night.

The gits got my car, laptop phone and watch. Broke in through the front door and for some reason my alarm didn't trigger. A lesson learned.

Anyway, they are out there, so keep an eye out. Police reckon it was the same guy did all the houses, seeing as he had a nice new car to travel around in :-(

On the off chance the car has been abandoned somewhere in your estate - its a grey/brown VW Passat, 11d 5022.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

clubcrown wrote: »
    9 houses - including mine - were broken into across Limelawn / Charnwood / Castlefield in Clonsilla Sunday night.

The gits got my car, laptop phone and watch. Broke in through the front door and for some reason my alarm didn't trigger. A lesson learned.

Anyway, they are out there, so keep an eye out. Police reckon it was the same guy did all the houses, seeing as he had a nice new car to travel around in :-(

On the off chance the car has been abandoned somewhere in your estate - its a grey/brown VW Passat, 11d 5022.

What time was this at roughly? I heard a few alarms going off on Sunday night in my estate. They rarely go off for no reason.

RTT wrote: »
    What time was this at roughly? I heard a few Alarms going off on Sunday night in my estate. The rarely go off for no reason.

We were done over between 5.30 and 6.30 AM. Castlefield was apparently earlier on sunday night after 9pm. Charnwood I don't know.

Incidentally, the guy was using a girls mountain bike which he left outside our house once he stole the car; I assume he nicked the bike earlier on. So if you know anyone who had a bike stolen on Sunday let me know, its here at the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Sorry Club to hear that. How did the Grub gain entry through the front door? Smashed window? Lock PIck? Where you and your family home at the time? :mad:

Sorry Club to hear that. How did the Grub gain entry through the front door? Smashed window? Lock PIck? Where you and your family home at the time? :mad:

Thanks. We're a bit shaken to say the least.

He pulled out the door handle with a pliers and used some sort of lock pick; the alarm didn't go off, no idea why but the alarm company is going to get a bollocking when they come out here tomorrow.

He broke windows in other houses and smashed a door down in Castlefield, according to a Garda I was talking to.

The one night I forgot to bring my car keys upstairs with me, and this happens. About 2K work of pram and baby seats in it as well. I think we scared him off when the baby woke up upstairs and he heard us moving about. So I suppose it could have been a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

He pulled out the door handle with a pliers and used some sort of lock pick; the alarm didn't go off, no idea why but the alarm company is going to get a bollocking when they come out here tomorrow.

He broke windows in other houses and smashed a door down in Castlefield, according to a Garda I was talking to.

The one night I forgot to bring my car keys upstairs with me, and this happens. About 2K work of pram and baby seats in it as well. I think we scared him off when the baby woke up upstairs and he heard us moving about. So I suppose it could have been a lot worse

Feck sake Ill keep my eyes open for the car anyway. I have an alarm but never put it on (due to laziness and people setting it off at night and day by mistake) Might be time to get it going again!

Sorry to hear about your woes clubcrown, is your alarm using a gsm dialer if so they are easily jammed by these knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

nudger wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your woes clubcrown, is your alarm using a gsm dialer if so they are easily jammed by these knobs.
    Surely the jammer would only stop the gsm dialler functioning....the contact sensors on the door(presuming they aren't shock sensors, although the door opening would still set one off) should still activate the alarm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That is correct. The alarm should still have activated.
    You need to get it checked as to why it didn't activate.

fletch wrote: »
    Surely the jammer would only stop the gsm dialler functioning....the contact sensors on the door(presuming they aren't shock sensors, although the door opening would still set one off) should still activate the alarm?

True enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Allendale is getting hit hard over the past few weeks,absolute scum out there,I was told 2 lads came in through the front door and told the owner to get upstairs or he'd never see his kids again,took his car and a laptop...
    I got cctv installed today,Im taking every precaution I can....

It cost me 1400 but I think its worth it...I have a new door and a proper alarm aswell

Kev. wrote: »
    Allendale is getting hit hard over the past few weeks,absolute scum out there,I was told 2 lads came in through the front door and told the owner to get upstairs or he'd never see his kids again,took his car and a laptop...
    I got cctv installed today,Im taking every precaution I can....

It cost me 1400 but I think its worth it...I have a new door and a proper alarm aswell

Hey Kev, don't know how far back you have been looking in this thread but did you get anti snap,pick and bump lock installed in your front door, it isn't the door that is the weak link it's the lock.
    I also have internal locks that can not be got at.

Hey Kev, don't know how far back you have been looking in this thread but did you get anti snap,pick and bump lock installed in your front door, it isn't the door that is the weak link it's the lock.
    I also have internal locks that can not be got at.

Hey Nudger,I went for a whole new install

http://apeer.co.uk/index.php/why_apeer/security/

To be honest the money I spent is long forgotten about and I know its near impossible to get through it.Its well worth it,not to mention the heat actually stays in my hall now haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hey Nudger,I went for a whole new install

http://apeer.co.uk/index.php/why_apeer/security/

To be honest the money I spent is long forgotten about and I know its near impossible to get through it.Its well worth it,not to mention the heat actually stays in my hall now haha

Kev, can you Pm on the name of the person/company who installed that door for you? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Arciphel wrote: »
    Kev, can you Pm on the name of the person/company who installed that door for you? Cheers.
    And me too

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

And me please.

No bother guys Ill PM it on to you now along with the price I payed.

I got an Apeer 70,after a load of research I found its probably the best composite out out there.

This is the one I have

http://apeer.co.uk/index.php/range/view/apl

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm sorry to hear about all the burglaries, they can be devastating on families, especially kids. Im not surprised though, I dont think the crime stats are keeping pace with the level actually being experienced

Has anyone had any contact with the Gardaí or local Councillors about this spate? Are there neighbourhood watch districts set up? At the very least there should be local meetings to swop information and advice. I think the lack of community interaction is a big part of the environment in which burglary sprees go unchecked

KoolKid wrote: »
    That is correct. The alarm should still have activated.
    You need to get it checked as to why it didn't activate.

Oh absolutely. Believe me the alarm people are getting a rocket when they arrive to the house.

Now comes the fun bit - convincing the insurance people that I'm not trying to scam them :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Oh absolutely. Believe me the alarm people are getting a rocket when they arrive to the house.

Now comes the fun bit - convincing the insurance people that I'm not trying to scam them :-(

take plenty of digital pictures for evidence before the clean up

No bother guys Ill PM it on to you now along with the price I payed.

I got an Apeer 70,after a load of research I found its probably the best composite out out there.

This is the one I have

http://apeer.co.uk/index.php/range/view/apl

Nice door Kev, do you know what brand of cylinder lock is in the door, there usually is a brand name on the face of the lock.

Nice door Kev, do you know what brand of cylinder lock is in the door, there usually is a brand name on the face of the lock.

Im not too sure,ill have a look when Im at home later..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A guy, Peter, in Riverwood in Carpenterstown installs similar doors. He also has anti-bump locks. He has a demo van where you can see the doors.

http://www.stoptheburglar.ie/

I might upgrade some of my cylinders.

Advertisement