Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ares TAR-21 Tavor Review-Discussion

• 17-06-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Very sweet AEG.

I'm tempted by one of these but with the SVD and Barrett
    floating about they will take my first preference.

Shame about the Mars sight,.

The Hinge butt plate where you need to knock out the pin
    to open it? Is the housing area around where the pin pushes
    through made from metal ?

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

The pin is at the top rear of the stock... just push it out...
    its not metal no, its the fibre stock as with the real one... i doubt it will become loose tbh... the buttplate wants to open so keeps tension on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

When I first saw the Tavor i thought 'thats a nice piece of kit'. The other day I saw a short video review and thought 'I should get one in the future'. Now its simply 'Im getting one of those'. Anyone know if any Irish retailers are planning/trying to get those in? Also whats the deal with the other brands that are making them? And good review!

Eirsoft.com to my recolection... ill badger Shiva for a straight answer...

so far... other brands = tsi... tsi got caught out by Ares whipping this one out... and they are expected by close of 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

thank you for the review, a link to a gearbox break down if anyone is interested http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=2097.0 , its a pitty the mars is such a let down, i would rather they lowered the price and shipped without it, interesting news if there going to release some ris mounts for it had not heard that, the tsi version is apparently out next months.....we will see, nice to see ares still trying news things instead of bring out another m4

they only ever made one m4 :D

• Advertisement

one m4 and 15 different front ends :D , it was more a comment in regard to the airsoft market in general than at ares in particular it seems that 101 m4 versions with small changes come out than company's trying to develop something different

very little R&D involved in copying some RS design.

externally yes maybe, im rather impressed sometimes at the inventiveness that goes into the internals sometimes in terms of gearbox design etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭MiniAirsofter

Firekitten wrote: »
    very little R&D involved in copying some RS design.

What she said

If companies decided to be more inventive with the externals, people would only complain about lack of realism. However, they are plenty of innovative gearbox designs out there. The ICS modular gearbox is an example of this.

What she said

If companies decided to be more inventive with the externals, people would only complain about lack of realism. However, they are plenty of innovative gearbox designs out there. The ICS modular gearbox is an example of this.
    Frankly, from expereince, the ics split box is too inivative, and has faults. a LOT

• Advertisement

If companies decided to be more inventive with the externals, people would only complain about lack of realism.

i think i may be a little lost hear, do you mean inventive as in company's going made an adding wing mirrors as that the only inventive kind of thing i can think of that would play with the realism for example, i can not see how simply producing aegs of firearms not yet avaliable in airsoft can not unrealistic, because i mean inventive in terms of as ares have done developing a comply new aeg with gearbox design rather than a) copying another company's design or b) producing yet another armalite design that a magpul representative as been seen using ;)

Firekitten wrote: »
    Frankly, from expereince, the ics split box is too inivative, and has faults. a LOT

OK maybe that was a bad example:D But another thing would be the G&G blowback guns or the TM M4A1 Sopmod. These are all examples that companies are always trying to think of innovative designs as regards the internals.

Puding wrote: »
    i think i may be a little lost hear, do you mean inventive as in company's going made an adding wing mirrors as that the only inventive kind of thing i can think of that would play with the realism for example, i can not see how simply producing aegs of firearms not yet avaliable in airsoft can not unrealistic, because i mean inventive in terms of as ares have done developing a comply new aeg with gearbox design rather than a) copying another company's design or b) producing yet another armalite design that a magpul representative as been seen using ;)

What I meant was, like Firekitten said, Ares didn't invent much with the external design of the AEG. They simply copied a design that was already there externally. However, I do agree with you on the point that it is impressive how Ares have designed completely new internals as opposed to simply making another Armalite with yet another bog standard V2 gearbox.

What I meant was, like Firekitten said, Ares didn't invent much with the external design of the AEG

but in airsoft they have been as they have produced a completely new aeg that has not been done before, so new molds new tools etc etc , you can't just go and buy an off the shelf tavor kit :) but we are being silly know

yay for ares tavor AEG

boo for ares MARs sight

but in airsoft they have been as they have produced a completely new aeg that has not been done before, so new molds new tools etc etc , you can't just go and buy an off the shelf tavor kit :) but we are being silly know

yay for ares tavor AEG

boo for ares MARs sight

Yeah I suppose:) I hope some other company brings out a better quality MARs site though. That would really be the icing on the cake.

my money is with tsi at the moment, they seem to be taking there time, but there like blizzard, 'its done when its finished we will not rush'

If tsi make one of these with a good sight I might just get one:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

my money is with tsi at the moment, they seem to be taking there time, but there like blizzard, 'its done when its finished we will not rush'

I was afraid the opposite would happen with the Ares, there would be pressure to get it out first and that would lead to some silly oversight.

You never know, some other company might decide to capatalize on this and release a decent mars sight itself, it would make sense. That or Ares will fix the problem in the next batch of models or so

Also I heard that the Ares Tavor doesnt come with a manual, that right?

none of the star/ares stuff has come with manual for some time, i believe there is a down loadable version somewhere but its not much

I found that with my SL9. I spent like two hours trying to find the battery compartment, then by accident I found out the outer barrel is left hand thread:D I couldn't find a manual for it any where though.

• Advertisement

no manual, thers a pdf of operations stuff on the site, but theres no takedown pdf yet, like thier other guns... thats rush part... but imo the only on the gun front.

Tbh, if you are getting the tavor for a first aeg... and need the manual.. i advise you are nutty dropping 500 on a first gun... if youve had a few, its really self explanatory to use... and if you like me, have perved at all available info before getting it... its also pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That has to be the best looking bullpup AEG around (sorry Steyr AUG in the corner), it is a shame about the MARS but at least it can be changed. It looks like TSI are doing an export version of the TAR where the MARS is on a QD mount on a 20mm rail where as Ares have the standard IDF front line issue where the MARS is fixed directly to the gun. Second line IDF and the TAR in STAR from have the 20mm rail fitted for other sight options. This means that the MARS is mounted slightly higher because on the QD mount on the TSI which will be interesting when it comes to using the iron sights with the MARS in place.

Maybe G&P or G&G, well even an ACM MARS may shop up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm in the same boat, holding on for the wet dream that is a GBB Tavor...aghaoghoaghapahgph droooolllll

Kudos on the blizzard comparison ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Is it my imagination but was it the Ares Tavor
    that there was something about being able to get
    a conversion kit in the future to turn it into a GBB ?

ie take out the gearbox etc and the body will house
    a GBB kit.

~B

the mars in all the tsi pictures is the real steel export version as thats the one they sell, we have not seen their copy yet :(
    Is it my imagination but was it the Ares Tavor
    that there was something about being able to get
    a conversion kit in the future to turn it into a GBB ?

thats the TSI version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

thats the TSI version

Ah OK . I'll wait for that so. :)
    AEG for Skirmishing and Turn it into a GBB for Fun stuff.

~B

That has to be the best looking bullpup AEG around (sorry Steyr AUG in the corner), it is a shame about the MARS but at least it can be changed. It looks like TSI are doing an export version of the TAR where the MARS is on a QD mount on a 20mm rail where as Ares have the standard IDF front line issue where the MARS is fixed directly to the gun. Second line IDF and the TAR in STAR from have the 20mm rail fitted for other sight options. This means that the MARS is mounted slightly higher because on the QD mount on the TSI which will be interesting when it comes to using the iron sights with the MARS in place.

Maybe G&P or G&G, well even an ACM MARS may shop up later.
    Well oddly enough, you wont mount the mars on the rail...

take weaver base off mars... unbolt rail... mount mars to reciver... Job's a good un...

use the irons with anything on the 20mm rail? you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭maciek87

AEG to GBB? Huh? Well... GBB`s are great, but... they`ll sell kit probably without magazines (or with accordingly higher prices), and taking under consideration cost of the rifle... Uff, if everything together (I mean Tavor plus GBB kit + Mags) will cost less than, lets say, 800 euros MINIMUM(gas mags are Dear - with capital D in front of it, and GBB will be dear - I can bet, + gas mags are not taking much bbs, so you need at least 5 of them)...

And, as well, I`d like to say that Ares is using CG`s licence to produce TAR (so Ares TAR 21 will have fo 99% markings). TSI - probably not (if they will have that - will end up in court again...:-/).

Taking under consider high costs, there is as well issue with realiability with GBB`s...

I would say, that I preffer to get Ares TAR21, that taking TSI version, than, after few months (if TSI ver. will have good reviews, and will be worth its money), I`ll consider TSI`s GBB.

I`d like to say as well, when I`ll buy and GBB rifle - ebaybanned is selling GBB M4. for much much cheaper.

But thats (of course) only my personal approach to the subject :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aerodriver

Hi guys,thanks for the excellent info re the Tavor, mine arrives next week, can you clarify what you have done for the rear sling point? As far as I can see it is simply a hole in the rear stock of the gun.

Does the eotech fit easily, it appears that you have put it on with both a rail and without, is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

maciek87 wrote: »
    AEG to GBB? Huh? Well... GBB`s are great, but... they`ll sell kit probably without magazines (or with accordingly higher prices), and taking under consideration cost of the rifle... Uff, if everything together (I mean Tavor plus GBB kit + Mags) will cost less than, lets say, 800 euros MINIMUM(gas mags are Dear - with capital D in front of it, and GBB will be dear - I can bet, + gas mags are not taking much bbs, so you need at least 5 of them)...

And, as well, I`d like to say that Ares is using CG`s licence to produce TAR (so Ares TAR 21 will have fo 99% markings). TSI - probably not (if they will have that - will end up in court again...:-/).

Taking under consider high costs, there is as well issue with realiability with GBB`s...

I would say, that I preffer to get Ares TAR21, that taking TSI version, than, after few months (if TSI ver. will have good reviews, and will be worth its money), I`ll consider TSI`s GBB.

I`d like to say as well, when I`ll buy and GBB rifle - ebaybanned is selling GBB M4. for much much cheaper.

But thats (of course) only my personal approach to the subject :-D

Well you see it can only be a matter of months before we have a clone version anyway, so if I hold on to my €480 now to see if the TSI version A) ever gets released and B) has the fabled GBB kit then chances are there'll be a cheaper alternative to the ARES TAR-21 should I decide to go for an AEG one. Undoubtedly the ARES will be of far superior quality but will it be multiple hundreds of euros worth of superior quality?

Advertisement