Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how much would this laptop be?

• 18-10-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine left her laptop in my house and my house recently got broken into so they took everything including the laptop.
    Shes demanding 500 euros for it. My educated guess and up to date technology knowledge thinks that this is far too exaggerated.

It was an old GREY dell laptop, seems around 2000-2001 era

around 1ghz processor
    256mb of ram
    and 20-30gb of hard drive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

500 would get you a brand new dell with way better specs.

100e tops!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is the laptop solid gold because that's the only way that laptop could be worth €500. It's probably worth about €100 at the most. I paid €100 for 1Ghz sempron, 512MB ram and 40GB laptop for my dad a few weeks ago. It's second hand and works perfectly. €500 would get you a good laptop with a core 2 duo, 2GBs ram and a 120GB/160GB hard drive. She's seriously over estimated it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As others have said, it's practically worthless, even 100e is pushing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not even near 100 euro maybe 50-70 yeah but definitley not 100 euro.

Then again, how is it your fault your house was broken into? not your fault tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

not nice of her to be looking for money from you for it - not your fault you were broken into was it?
    her valuation is a joke too, like everyone has already said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

100 would be pretty generous. Please report back here with her reaction?

when ignorance and reality collide....so satisfying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Placebo wrote: »
    A friend of mine left her laptop in my house and my house recently got broken into so they took everything including the laptop.
    Shes demanding 500 euros for it. My educated guess and up to date technology knowledge thinks that this is far too exaggerated.

It was an old GREY dell laptop, seems around 2000-2001 era

around 1ghz processor
    256mb of ram
    and 20-30gb of hard drive.

Thanks

The laptop itself may be worth only 100 or so- but its entirely possible that software and/or work on it, may be worth far more (but of course its difficult to put an intrinsic value on these things).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

there was nothing on it, some pirated software and few downloaded movies.
    price is based on hardware, i think she had agreed to just take 100 of me, without me having said anything yet. This would probably be a 'loss' in her opinion.
    thanks for the quotes, il link her to this in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Why not just head over to adverts and get her an equivilant replacement, that should prevent any arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pauladublin

offer nothing.wasnt your fault, you didnt ask her to leave the laptop there and thats it.
    :)
    im sure she wont like my post

• Advertisement
Advertisement