Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

Just a few things to look out for in your estate regards to break ins.

Alot of the people doing the break ins are a man and a woman. They will drive into the estate first for some recon and then drive out usually parking the car around the corner.

License plates are almost never Dublin.

If they target your house, they will relentlessly knock at your door until you answer or a neighbors door. If you answer they will ask for somebody as if they got the wrong house or try offer you a service. If no answer they will break in.

They have stepped up their level of communication and recon work. They are constantly in contact with each other. They will constantly visit estates learning what cars are in what drive way. They will get themselves familiar with your estate with constant visits, knowing the comings and the goings.
    The send women into estates on mobile phones looking for suitable targets, houses that they have per-targeted, with the woman feeding back if there is a car in the driveway or if there are too many people around.

Houses they tend to go for .......
    No porch,
    Houses closer to a main road easy getaway.
    Houses with alot of cover (trees/bushes)
    Corner Houses
    Houses with the blinds down and no windows open.

Best prevention .........

Clear Visible CCTV , these guys dont want to be seen.
    Alarm Visible so it can be seen.
    Be vigilant with your neighbors, if a car comes creeping in, let them see you watching.
    Make their visits to the estate as uncomfortable as possible.
    Not any suspicious cars license plate numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

Excellent post.

The last bit is Note any suspicious cars license plate numbers.

Also just keep aware of the woman sitting in the car on the mobile phone. They are playing a big part in this. They feed the information to the guys out on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Two boys going door to door looking for sponsorship tonight in Waterville, Irish, about 11 years old. Appeared about the same time as a beige mondeo with three guys in it were randomly driving around. Reported it to our neighbourhood watch guy. Can't help but be suspicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

athtrasna wrote: »
    Two boys going door to door looking for sponsorship tonight in Waterville, Irish, about 11 years old. Appeared about the same time as a beige mondeo with three guys in it were randomly driving around. Reported it to our neighbourhood watch guy. Can't help but be suspicious

This thread has me kind of paranoid a bit now too. I had a girl (late teens/early 20's I'd say) knock on the door last week during the day looking for bus fare as her brother had been in a motorcycle accident and she needed to get to the hospital to see him. She said she was from 'around the corner' but I'd never seen her before so I don't know was it genuine, just trying to scam a few quid or checking the place out to see were people home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bit of both maybe... We had the same a couple of months ago, blondish girl, probably early 20's. Knocked on the door and asked for money for bus fare because her mam was after being rushed into hospital. My partner told her no and she asked him to ask me. No means no... sorry love... I'd never seen her before and I'd know most people to see around here.

Just to give people an update. There has been a sharp decrease on break-ins in the last month.(touch wood)
    Last time something happened was last month in which photos were taken but the flash accidentally went off and they sped out of the estate :P Still getting zero response from the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

My neighbour was broken into last saturday in the middle of the afternoon. .. They had just popped out for an hour. Plenty of people out and about and in gardens and still got done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

dmm82 wrote: »
    My neighbour was broken into last saturday in the middle of the afternoon. .. They had just popped out for an hour. Plenty of people out and about and in gardens and still got done!

:(

im always hearing in my house "they wont do it when were in the house" or "its too early/bright"

this is worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

So how about some details,what area,was it alarmed,how was entry gained,what was taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

They came in through the back, I don't think the alarm was on. However they did have CCTV cameras that the robber broke! I'm not sure what was taken but I know that the place was in a state when they got back and there were knives left around the place :( I was home at the time and didnt see or hear a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Danger Ongar Area

Guy tried to assault me tonight.

Ongar - the long wooded laneway between Ongar village and top of Ongar road.

Locals will know the place. Roundabouts at both ends.

Anyway - Male approx 180cm/...maybe 5'10, early 20's, race-black/African.
    Clothes: red hoody, black skinny jeans, white runners. Hoody pulled tight around head so cant say about hairstyle.

Important - that laneway: approx 1 km long, beside a school, Ongar village at one end, roundabout of the top of Ongar road at the other end: Is not safe. Its well lit, but I wont be using it at night anymore.

It may not even be a great route during daylight hours.

Please spread the word, that route is dangerous at night.

Story: Out for a stroll/bit of a jog. Was walking up said laneway, male coming towards me asked me for a smoke, replied 'no', asked again ... perhaps foolishly I said no again, I knew it was probably trouble at this point.... turned to see him moving quickly towards me raising his fists - raised my own fists and gave my best war scream.(locals for two kilometers may have heard this). He backed off and told me to keep going...which I very gladly did.

What troubled me though is the nature of the situation - I was going into a fight for my life in my book, others may say thats an exaggeration, but for all I knew at the time thats what it was.

Any stranger attempting to assault you, in a secluded area, is an attempted murder.

Chances are it was a mugging attempt, but how many muggings have gone wrong, concussions lead to loss of consciousness - if you're lying in the wrong position you can stop breathing.

How did he plan to take my wallet from my trouser pocket if I was still moving, there was no demand for money - just zero to combat.
    He may have been carrying a blade for all I knew/know, he initially had his hands in his pockets.

Rang the Gardai and reported it they said they'd send a car.

Twitter, Facebook, forums - anyone who knows the area please pass it on - get the word out - that route is not safe at night.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I appreciate you're upset but an isolated incident doesn't make an area unsafe. Have there been more attacks on that stretch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

There was a spate of attacks on mainly women in the morning at the beginning of last year, along the pedestrianised tree lined road that used to be the main Clonee-Clonsilla road pre Ongar days, the one with the small wooden cross in the ground where Arthur Murphy was killed in a crash years ago.

Search for Attacks in Ongar and you'll find the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes it also featured on Crimecall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I wouldn't walk down that stretch of road in broad daylight.

In my opinion they should either block it off completely, or else re-open it up to vehicle traffic and cut all the trees back so the visibility is better.

"Danger Ongar Area" make sure you follow up with the guards about this and don't let them fob you off with the usual excuses about lack of resources. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Is this the rat road?

Is this the rat road?
    From the OP's description, yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

fletch wrote: »
    From the OP's description, yes it is

I was thinking that but the roundabout at both ends bit threw me.

I was thinking that but the roundabout at both ends bit threw me.
    Fair point, perhaps Danger Ongar can clarify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hope you're feeling Ok DOA.

That road was far safer when you used to be able to drive out the back of Ongar down to the Phibblestown Road, cars going by made it safer from a passive security aspect.

I complained to the Council about it when they were wasting the money putting up the street lights with no other measures for personal security. The road is nothing more than a trap with very few options to leave it in a hurry. It should have been absorbed into the adjoining parks so it would be opened up completely. I cut a run short down that road myself one night and found it decidedly sketchy, I'm a large hairy fecker and even I wouldn't go that way alone again.

I would suggest to the poster that he email the description of the incident to the Mulhuddart ward Councillors and agitate to have the large trees cut well back and more exits created from the road, at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Danger Ongar Area

Just to clarify its a stretch about 1km long with a roundabout directly touching one end, the second roundabout being about 150 meters to the right when exiting said laneway.
    I believe the estate at one end is manor fields. There's a bus stop at this same end, for the 39.

There is indeed a cross/memorial as one boardsie mentioned above.
    There are green areas on both sides and its tree lined on both sides.
    One of the green areas has goal posts.

This lane allows foot traffic to the rear of ongar village, entrance to a school and also a side entrance to a small development which may be called phibblestown something something.

This is the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hope you're ok Danger Ongar Area - thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Arciphel wrote: »
    I wouldn't walk down that stretch of road in broad daylight.

Okay, but if you did, you would notice you share the road with families with young children and other not-exactly-dangerous people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Polar101 wrote: »
    Okay, but if you did, you would notice you share the road with families with young children and other not-exactly-dangerous people like that.

Only sometimes. To be fair there are times in the middle of the day and evening alike when its very quiet down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

People in gaza are looking at this thread praying nothing as bad happens to them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Kev. wrote: »
    People in gaza are looking at this thread praying nothing as bad happens to them
    What the hell has Gaza got to do with neighbourhood watch in Dublin 15?
    Our 'concerns' may seem trivial in comparison to the daily troubles in Gaza but they are no less real.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Your in the wrong thread. The save the world after 6 cans of Dutch gold thread is somewhere else. This is for people who want to be kept informed about anti social behaviour and crime on their community. Start your own thread about the current issues in gaza, with meaningful and insightful posts like above I'm sure people will be dying to comment in your thread. Don't forget to post your above post in the playstation bargains thread too, where it will be equally as relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kev. - If you have nothing constructive to add, don't bother posting again in this thread.

tHB

Advertisement