Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QUICK QUESTION ABOUT LC FRENCH

• 30-05-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

I've a quick question that a fellow French teacher might be able to answer. It's about the written section in the higher level LC French where they say approx 75 words and the compulsory, 90 words. What do you all advise your students about that?

My advice has always been that where the student's written French is weak,keep it close to the minimum,but that a stronger student could write more,between 100-150 words. In fact that's the advice I got form an inspector, but that was a good few years back.

I'm still correcting stuff through edmodo and I've got this one student aiming for the A, but whose written work, while having great flow and idiom, sometimes the grammar can be dodgy. I've advised him to cap it at 100 words.

Was that the right advice? All opinions welcome.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Sounds like excellent advice overall, speaking as one who has marked. For higher level students who are in any way serious, there is no way an argument can be sufficiently developed in approximately 75 words. So yes, somewhere between 95 and 120 would be right for the 75 word target and about 120-140 for the 90 word target.

Just to be clear, the word target is not enforced in any way. There is no penalty for exceeding it. The penalties are for irrelevant material and poor register (communication) and grammar and other errors (language). So yes, the more the average candidate writes, the more errors they are likely to make. The less they write, the less developed their answer is likely to be. It's a balancing act. The best advice is to get to the point of your answer quickly and avoid irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

linguist wrote: »
    Sounds like excellent advice overall, speaking as one who has marked. For higher level students who are in any way serious, there is no way an argument can be sufficiently developed in approximately 75 words. So yes, somewhere between 95 and 120 would be right for the 75 word target and about 120-140 for the 90 word target.

Just to be clear, the word target is not enforced in any way. There is no penalty for exceeding it. The penalties are for irrelevant material and poor register (communication) and grammar and other errors (language). So yes, the more the average candidate writes, the more errors they are likely to make. The less they write, the less developed their answer is likely to be. It's a balancing act. The best advice is to get to the point of your answer quickly and avoid irrelevance.

That's very helpful,thanks a million! :)

Advertisement