Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

gurramok wrote: »
    Aslan are from Finglas!

I haven't been much in Tallaght and the only part i've been in is in Kingswood, looks nice out that way.

but beloved of skangers everywhere.

Aslan used to play in the traders in greenhills and loads of people from crumlin would come up. It used to be like a scene from gangs of new york afterward. Greenhills on one side, Crumlin on the other. After a few minutes mayhem the ground was strewn with torn NAFF jackets and bloodied sovreign rings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Tallaght's not the worst, still a ****hole though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

but beloved of skangers everywhere.

Aslan used to play in the traders in greenhills and loads of people from crumlin would come up. It used to be like a scene from gangs of new york afterward. Greenhills on one side, Crumlin on the other. After a few minutes mayhem the ground was strewn with torn NAFF jackets and bloodied sovreign rings

They used to play in Molloy's (fables) a fair bit.I think I saw them there about 5 times.Never any trouble though ,maybe because there were a fair few mad out of it on yokes.In fact I don't ever remember trouble outside fables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't get how people can say "Such and such an area is a ****ing scum-hole" etc - well I do, some people are just idiots. But I'm seeing it here from people whom I didn't think would say stuff like that. It's not particularly fair on the good people from there (the majority).

Otherwise though, I've always been quite intrigued by how French the word "Tallaght" sounds... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get how people can say "Such and such an area is a ****ing scum-hole" etc - well I do, some people are just idiots. But I'm seeing it here from people whom I didn't think would say stuff like that. It's not particularly fair on the good people from there (the majority).

Otherwise though, I've always been quite intrigued by how French the word "Tallaght" sounds... :pac:
    I read somewhere once that it's the oldest place name in Ireland and means "plague mortuary".

• Advertisement

I read somewhere once that it's the oldest place name in Ireland and means "plague mortuary".

Ya it's true it's a plague mortuary ,not sure if that's what tallaght means though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Ya it's true it's a plague mortuary ,not sure if that's what tallaght means though
    i am so angry at u streotype :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

it is yes. Taim leach -> tamhlacht -> tallaght

its related more to the mythical Parthalon from leabhar gabhala eireann that the black death, after which black pitts is named

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Sounds like the OP is Minister for Tallaght, Charlie O'Connor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭amacca

Hilarious thread title.

Board Failte should adapt it for their ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

'Plague monument' or 'monument to pestilence' or something, I think.

Supposedly the site of bubonic plague graves. Just told that: not sure of veracity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Isn't this the place where that dog had its lower jaw blown off? And subsequently had to be put to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Kent Brockman: (Little) girl, likes her town. What's your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Isn't this the place where that dog had its lower jaw blown off? And subsequently had to be put to sleep.

Nope, that was finglas.

OP, never feel you need to make excuses or justify where you live to a bunch of toffs on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

That 77 bus is a barrel of laughs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

RichieC wrote: »
    OP, never feel you need to make excuses or justify where you live to a bunch of toffs on the internet.

Tallaght's twin town Baghdad sticking the oar in :D

dsmythy wrote: »
    That 77 bus is a barrell of laughs anyway.

And always has been ,I remember in the 90's and early 00's the Sh!t that went down on that bus.In 1998 I was coming back from seeing a dj called Dave young (not the comedian) american guy that played techno ,fcuking class by the way.But anyway on the way home the nitelink arrived at the cookoo's nest and this guy at the back mad out of his head on pills kicked the back left window out on the top floor ,dropped out the side and walked up to the front of the bus and said to the bus driver that "he had a ventilation problem" Fcuking madness:pac:

I wouldn't sit upstairs on any bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I work in the main Methadone Clinic in Tallaght so I'm know a lot of the bad apples in Tallaght [though being on methadone does not make you a bad apple], with saying that I know loads of normal nice and helpful people from there. In certain parts there is a very strong positive community spirit; however, I would not live there.

Yet I must point out that I moved out of Dublin about 6 years ago, so it wouldn't be just Tallaght I would not live in. I would not move back to Dublin. OP you have no need to defend where you live, it is like anywhere else, there are both good and bad people living there.

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »

Hardly toffs. My aul fella used to say it was tuppence ha'penny looking down on ha'penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Used to be a ****hole but since Shamrock Rovers moved in its borderline Limerick on a friday night.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Used to be a ****hole but since Shamrock Rovers moved in its borderline Limerick on a friday night.

Only when youse Junkies are up there. The Black Horse and Golden Bridge stations need to taken off the Luas sharpish... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I live in Tallaght and agree that for the most part it is grand, I live right beside killinarden however and its an absolute dump, over run with scum bags. The amount of times ive been verbally abused and more walking to and from work is ridiculous:(

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yet I must point out that I moved out of Dublin about 6 years ago, so it wouldn't be just Tallaght I would not live in. I would not move back to Dublin. OP you have no need to defend where you live, it is like anywhere else, there are both good and bad people living there.

Me too ,I moved to Wicklow from tallaght and the cop shop closes at 11 every evening.And I have never heard of crime or shit in the area.I would not move back to Dublin if you paid me.My kids have a great life where we live and I would never change that.Fcuk it I don't mind the commute each day to Dublin/Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

But jees, go passed Old Bawn and up to Killinarden, Fortunestown, Jobstown (who the named these places? :D:D:D) and the likes and you're into bandit country:eek:

Maybe I'm a worse idiot for getting annoyed at a post on boards of all things, but we're not all total scummers, I should know, born and raised in Jobstown (or "bandit country" to you.) Yes it's not the most aesthetically pleasing and there are a fair few dodgies knocking around but they're everywhere and if you're going to be an absolute knack it's going to happen no matter where you're raised, it's either in you or it's not imho. The only reason Old Bawn is more settled is because its an older estate with older residents, or alot of the houses have been sold to young couples with very young children, give it 10 - 12 years when those kids grow up and see how quiet it is then.

Winds me up so much that people think they have a right to judge you based on where you're from or turn their noses up at the place you were raised in, it's downright snobbery.

I live in Tallaght and agree that for the most part it is grand, I live right beside killinarden however and its an absolute dump, over run with scum bags. The amount of times ive been verbally abused and more walking to and from work is ridiculous:(

I lived there ,fcuk them there only **** bringing it down.Most of the people there are grand ,just a few dickheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I lived there ,fcuk them there only **** bringing it down.Most of the people there are grand ,just a few dickheads

I live and work in Tallaght so I know that generally its grand, just a few scummers bringing everyone down as you say! I just get singled out more because I dont wear tracksuits and fit in to the local look

-Leelo- wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a worse idiot for getting annoyed at a post on boards of all things, but we're not all total scummers, I should know, born and raised in Jobstown (or "bandit country" to you.) Yes it's not the most aesthetically pleasing and there are a fair few dodgies knocking around but they're everywhere and if you're going to be an absolute knack it's going to happen no matter where you're raised. The only reason Old Bawn is more settled is because its an older estate with older residents, or alot of the houses have been sold to young couples with very young children, give it 10 - 12 years when those kids grow up and see how quiet it is then.

Winds me up so much that people think they have a right to judge you based on where you're from or turn their noses up at the place you were raised in, it's downright snobbery.

I understand where you're coming from ,but I moved out because it was a shithole and I would never move back.Now I know there are plenty of decent people in areas such as Jobstown and Killinarden ,I have family in Killinarden.It's fine for them and they like it ,but it's not for me.The good thing is I know loads of people from the area and I like when Im visiting the lads in Donamore recognise me and say "hello" ,such as where I live now people really keep to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

I understand where you're coming from ,but I moved out because it was a shithole and I would never move back.Now I know there are plenty of decent people in areas such as Jobstown and Killinarden ,I have family in Killinarden.It's fine for them and they like it ,but it's not for me.The good thing is I know loads of people from the area and I like when Im visiting the lads in Donamore recognise me and say "hello" ,such as where I live now people really keep to themselves

Admittedly I don't live there anymore, I'm in Saggart now and love it here but if it came to it and I had to move back to Jobstown it wouldn't bother me. I keep to myself anyway. I can understand people saying it's a kip, because it is dirty, anyone can see that. It's when people make personal judgements that it bothers me, being raised in Dublin 24 does not make you any less of a person raised in Dublin 4. It's a shame a few knackers gave the place a bad name really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement