Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adding extra speakers to a 97 starlet

• 02-06-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I have bought an imported 1997 Toyota starlet off a dealer. Great little car and all, but the speakers are absolutly crap. The car came with a Lidl radio that does a good job of making the best of what it's got, but I personally would like something a bit beefier :D. It is not a glanza, or a GT. It's a bog standard EP91 Starlet.

So any advice on what speakers to get (Under €60 preferable) and where to put them?

(BTW I am a noob with the working of a car :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My first car! And I'd a big mahoosive sound system worth nowt inside in it too that was made up of handmedown speakers. There's no where really to put speakers except on the parcel shelf in the rear, and cutting holes into the doors in the front. The dashbord mounted ones are tiny, really tiny and you can't replace them with anything decent due to the lack of space. 3 inch paper 5 watt speakers if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

Thats exactly how they sound :P haha Does cutting the doors involve much work?

Not a whole lot really. Most speakers come with templates you use to cut the hole. Have a chat at your local motor factors with whoever's behind the counter, they're usually pretty knowledgeable and friendly.

Will do thanks. May save up for a decent set now.

They're not crazy money, I just bought 2 sets. Got a set of Alpine 13's for 60 Euro, and Alpine 17's for 70. Don't buy 6x9 inch speakers - they're tempting because they offer great power and are physically bigger than speakers, but they're not great at reproducing sound. Stick to round speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Will putting these speakers in double the value of the car !

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Where are you from? A mate of mine put a Pioneer Stereo and 6X9 Pioneer speakers into the parcel shelf of my last car and did a great job on it. I took them out thinking I'd use them in my new car because it is Ipod compatible and has bluetooth. The stereo in my new car is pretty good but I don't want to put in the Pioneer if I have to take it out again.

Ye I saw a set of green ones in Halfords in carlow they were €40. They might do.

Dont know if they'll double the value, not great with valueing cars.

I'm in the carlow area.

Advertisement