Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght not as bad as you think

• 13-01-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I think it's way too late to disperse the stereotypes associated with Tallaght but I'd like to just say that I have lived here my whole life and it is a nice place to live. I hate that it has a bad reputation and it serious pisses me getting slagged about it by people who have never even been here.

It's not as though when you leave Tallaght, suddenly you can flaunt your wallet and your car keys and whatever valuables with the attitude, 'I'm not in Tallaght anymore, I won't get robbed'. No town in Dublin can leave their doors unlocked so why has Tallaght been singled out?

We have the Square and the Luas so it's very convenient. A town shouldn't be judged just because it has scumbags, you're going to get them everywhere. So tell me what it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I think it's way too late to disperse the stereotypes associated with Tallaght but I'd like to just say that I have lived here my whole life and it is a nice place to live. I hate that it has a bad reputation and it serious pisses me getting slagged about it by people who have never even been here.

It's not as though when you leave Tallaght, suddenly you can flaunt your wallet and your car keys and whatever valuables with the attitude, 'I'm not in Tallaght anymore, I won't get robbed'. No town in Dublin can leave their doors unlocked so why has Tallaght been singled out?

We have the Square and the Luas so it's very convenient. A town shouldn't be judged just because it has scumbags, you're going to get them everywhere. So tell me what it is.

A thomas cook holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I know a fair few lads from Tallaght from me following Cork City and meeting up with chaps from Rovers, and they are a sound bunch, been out a few times without problem, just the usual crap talk between Cork and Dublin fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

A lazy version of Finglas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ok, thanks for that Lorrs.

Next up we've got Eoin. Hi Eoin, you're through to Adrian Kennedy, what do you want to get off your chest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

A town shouldn't be judged just because it has scumbags, you're going to get them everywhere.

No you don't. That's why some areas are suitably expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In fairness, alot of the place looks like a dump, but I would take people from Tallaght as friends over most of Dublin anyday. They tend to be fierce trustworthy people once they know ya.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's interesting about your post is that 'disperse' can mean to distribute widely or cause to disappear. After that I've got nothing; I think was only in Tallaght once but didn't get murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I have my doubts the the OP is from tallaght...he didn't even call it tallafornia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,374 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bonerm wrote: »

Yes you do, Killiney is suitably expensive but it has a nice amount of scumbags in it. I from tallaght, and ive lived in cabinteely.

There are scumbags in every nook of the country. from small villages to large metro masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I have friends who used to live in Killinarden. And I can assure you, it's an absolute dump. A wretched hive of scum and villany. They couldn't wait to get out of there. There are some parts of Tallaght that are less horrible, but like the estate they used to live in, some of it is absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Congratulations...??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I have friends who used to live in Killinarden. And I can assure you, it's an absolute dump. A wretched hive of scum and villany. They couldn't wait to get out of there. There are some parts of Tallaght that are less horrible, but like the estate they used to live in, some of it is absolutely awful.
    Killinarden is a f*cking scumhole. I grew up right beside there. My God. It is probably one of the very worst areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's called Tallaght City on one of the signs on the M50.
    Ah good ol' Tallaght. A great bunch of lads, (and ladettes)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

bonerm wrote: »

Well actually you just get a higher class of scum. Just as gutless but they say roysh and think they're hillarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I did some Christmas shopping in the Square. For a moment I wondered "this must be what it would be like if I volunteered in Haiti"

edit: that unintentionally came across as a touch of the racism. I meant because its falling apart. Humor fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well actually you just get a higher class of scum. Just as gutless but they say roysh and think they're hillarious.

Exactly. The kind of scum you get in nice areas are more of the Raffles type.

Sanjuro wrote: »

Donomore is the only really black hawk down territory, maybe parts of Glenshane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Agh Joe, It's terrible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Went to school with a fair few Tallaght lads. For the most part grand but when there's a bad one, its not the usual kinda bad whereby they smoke a bitta hash, start fights, cause mayhem in the classroom, instead they were more into aggravated assault, robbing cars, drug dealing and all those other pleasantries. Of course not saying it was exclusive to them but for a school where they were in the minority, they were surely in the majority for the more serious crimes.

But Tallaght has really mellowed out in the last few years it must be said, at least in the village and around the Square areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tallaght reminds me of Slough.

OP, have you ever neen to Jobstown?

Tallaght reminds me of Slough.

OP, have you ever neen to Joblesstown?

Ah the oldies are the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I have my doubts the the OP is from tallaght...he didn't even call it tallafornia.

I don't think anyone from Tallaght ever calls it that.

It's mostly grand. Killinarden and the Jobstown area are dumps but they're on the outskirts so you don't really have to go near them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nowhere else to compare it against then ey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's about 65,000 people in Tallaght, so bound to be good and bad. Some area to the West of the village are nasty, but most East of the village are OK, some being very nice.

Compare Tallaght with other areas of similar population, Limerick for example, and I think you'd find Tallaght comes out favourably. Finglas has fewer than half the population of Tallaght and still a worse perceived mischief factor.

So in summation, I agree with the OP, Tallaght is not as bad as you (most people) think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Tallaght is like a human wildlife park.
    Best thing to do is lock your doors and close your windows when driving through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

It's the same as Finglas. I've lived here most of my life except for a good few years in the US and i've never had any problems. And i lived in the south for a lot of the years i lived here before moving to another part. Yeah a lot of shít has happened here but people outside the place make it seem like they're gonna catch a bullet as soon as they cross over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Nowhere else to compare it against then ey?
    To be fair, that's a very valid point. I grew up in Tallaght and I never even knew the extent of the reputation it had until I moved elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement