Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker World Championship 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Ding OUT!!!

Best two frame session of snooker in a long time, Delighted for the young man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Wow, those last two frames of snooker were two of the best I have seen in the crucible for a long time. Dings last three snookers on the pink were just brilliant.

Gutted for ding, (and I lost 20 euro on him) , but wasley was damn impressive and deserved the win.

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Well done Michael Wasley. Horrible fluke but definitely deserved the win. Ding looked decidedly off form. Can't help but feel a more experienced player would have put him away earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Delighted for the young lad. I don't like Ding. He never smiles or shows any emotion, and has as much personality as an empty box of Weetabix.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The last two days have been brilliant, I thought this sport was meant to be in decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I would rather stay home and watch snooker than go to work. I'll have to make do with highlights programs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Ding looked to be under serious pressure there yesterday. I think that the weight of expectation on his shoulders from the Chinese people got to him in the end. The fact that he had won 5 ranking titles this season made the expectation all the greater. Fair play to Wasley though. White put up a great performance against Selby also. I must say that the standard of snooker in this years first round has been the best that I can remember. Hopefully it will get better as the tournament progresses and that someone will be able to put it up to Ronnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Agree re the weight of expectation on Ding, has to explain why he is so good everywhere else but just cant get it together in sheffield. Nearly pulled it out of the fire in the end, though, so at least he went out fighting. Could see Wasley making the semis now, some story for a guy who only scraped through the first qualifying round against an amateur 10-9 and then needed Robert Milkins to miss an easy black off the spot in the final qualifying round - Wasley's fourth match - to get a crack at Ding.

Been a blistering start to the tournament and still 14 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

McManus just needs one more frame against Higgins.

Here's Ken's run to the semi-final (just the bottom half of the draw):

njRo2pe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This is some bottle job from McManus.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    This is some bottle job from McManus.

score?

AZ5QWxD.png
    Safety shots at the moment.

Higgins has won the last three frames from 4 - 9.

McManus wins 10-7 after a shocking miss on the blue into the middle pocket from Higgins.

So McManus vs Doherty on Friday & Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I think Ken can take McManus I fancy him to make a decent run at it this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

redbuck wrote: »
    I think Ken can take McManus I fancy him to make a decent run at it this year.

He has a decent chance against McManus and even Higgins would have been doable, especially in Higgins' current form. A Doherty Crucible quarter final would be nice.

Not sure I'd fancy him against Selby or Carter though.

I obvisouly have other favourite players apart from Ken, but no-one makes me quite as....eh, well, nervous! It often comes down to the wire with Ken.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Alan McManus says Social Media is to blame for the younger guns not making an impression on this years tournaments. Any thoughts?

I do know the players in their mid-late 30's are making a resurgence in their careers, but is that really the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Alan McManus says Social Media is to blame for the younger guns not making an impression on this years tournaments. Any thoughts?

I do know the players in their mid-late 30's are making a resurgence in their careers, but is that really the reason?

Have the younger guns not made an impression this year? How is social media to blame?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Look through the tournaments this year. Trump has won one minor and all the oldheads have dominated the others. The facts are there that the younger players have failed to impress this year. However I never said I agreed with McManus' statement. Just thought it was a bit wild myself and wondering what everyone else thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Look through the tournaments this year. Trump has won one minor and all the oldheads have dominated the others. The facts are there that the younger players have failed to impress this year. However I never said I agreed with McManus' statement. Just thought it was a bit wild myself and wondering what everyone else thought.
    Is Ding considered an oldhead? Hasn't he won quite a few tournaments this season? I know he's on the scene a long time but he's still only 27.

Besides Ding and Trump, who else has made an impression and in their teens/20's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

No question that there's a lack of young blood breaking through at the top in recent years but seems a bit simple pinning it down to social media. You'd imagine with the rise of better facilities, snooker academies etc that more and more young players would be taking over but it's not happening. When Ding came on the scene we were told the chinese would be taking over within a decade, but Liang Wenbo apart, not many of them have come through either. Aside of Trump the only other players to break into the top 16 in recent years were already seasoned pros like Hawkins, Walden and Bingham. I recall Luca Brecel being hailed as the new Ronnie O'Sullivan several years back, but his progress seems to have stalled for now.

It's a good question and I can't think of any plausible answers. I've often heard Doherty and others of his generation talk about the money matches they used to play in east london and elsewhere and that seemed a good place to learn how to play pressure snooker. Maybe the academies are breeding too mentally soft players, just one theory perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Appaling potting and shot taking in this frame of walden v Wilson ,some of the misses are amazing

seanhynes wrote: »
    Appaling potting and shot taking in this frame of walden v Wilson ,some of the misses are amazing

There were points in that last frame where I wanted to beat Walden over the head with the que. Unreal. He should really have put Wilson away sooner. He was leading by 4 frames at one stage and Wilson was quiet nervous at points.
    Anyway. Will be interesting to see how Trump does.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

On a somewhat unrelated topic does anyone know if Judd Trump is the lovechild of John Virgo? He can do no wrong in Johns' eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Just reading McManus's claims on BBC website. I doubt if the internet is putting them off their practice but he could be right;

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/snooker/27116258

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

"McManus, who has reached the semi-finals at the Crucible twice, will play another veteran, 1997 world champion Ken Docherty, in round two."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Trump looks like a shambles at the moment, if Ford keeps his head he will take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So many shots being missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Terrible shot choice from Williams there after all the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

A bit of a contradiction I know, but for me it seems the standard has gone up in snooker in the last decade or so, but in general it seems the players at the top don't have the same natural ability as the players at the top from even the early/mid 2000's, barring the likes of Higgins/O'Sullivan who have been there throughout both. The exception would be Trump, but he's been highly inconsistent of late. Bags of talent though

Advertisement