Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History !

• 25-10-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Im repeating, struggled alot to learn stuff off for history last year! Got a C2 in LC2010 and am aiming for A1 in LC2011...possible?
    Just wondering, is it a good idea to just learn off less stress more success?
    Also, does any one have any study tips for history? etc!
    Dont wanna waste another year by struggling!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Learning off the book is highly pointless.What you need to do is make your own set of notes from your history book,revision books,internet and various other sources and then practising writing 8 paragraph 4 page essays in 40 mins.Then break down your essays into bullet points or keywords.Maybe 5 keywords per paragraph that will help with recall so you can get a decent paragraph in the exam.Use flashcards if you think they would help.These really help some people.You should try and get 7 or 8 marks in each paragraph which will give you 60 out of 60 in the cumlative mark.To get 40 out of 40 the second time they read your essay you need to have addressed the question in each paragraph and everything needs to be relevant.Also you need to have some extra detail or a new insight in your conclusion to do well the second time its read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Hey
    Im repeating, struggled alot to learn stuff off for history last year! Got a C2 in LC2010 and am aiming for A1 in LC2011...possible?
    Just wondering, is it a good idea to just learn off less stress more success?
    Also, does any one have any study tips for history? etc!
    Dont wanna waste another year by struggling!
    Thanks!
    I got a b3 first time and an A1 second, so yeah, it's possible.

First thing I did was get the syllabus and cross out anything that was unlikely. Then I wrote and had corrected essays until they were 90%+. Then, I'd summarize each paragraph to a few points and learn off said points.

You don't have to know everything; just be selective. I had 6 or so essays for each section for the exam.

With reference to the post above, aim for 5+ pages with at least 10 paragraphs, maybe 12. So then you only have to get 6 marks per paragraph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

theowen wrote: »
    First thing I did was get the syllabus and cross out anything that was unlikely.

In a climate where setters are trying to be less 'predictable', that's a very risky strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

spurious wrote: »
    In a climate where setters are trying to be less 'predictable', that's a very risky strategy.
    Fair point. Perhaps lightly go over the less likely stuff to be careful. But if you want an A, you can't really prepare an essay for 50/60+essays as you'd have to if you didn't leave stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

One thing that's advisable is to try and learn off how to write an essay properly. Listen to any hints/advice. It may sound silly but a soundly structured essay will kickstart you to a high marks. This includes, structure, cohesion, understanding, relevant paragraphs, introduction and conclusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement