Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Study help?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Repeating.
    Unsure how to study effectively , as it obviously didnt work for me last year:rolleyes:
    Anyone have tips? Effective study plans? How much i should have studied by xmas etc!
    Aiming for 450points +
    Please help!

Eng
    His
    Bio
    Art
    fre
    Ag science
    Geography

Thanking you!:)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

For english, take each poem your doing one at a time, write down the main points about the theme on a piece of paper and the quotes you would use in an answer to back them up, then do the exact same but focusing on the stylistic features of the poem. For your play, find all the past questions that have ever been asked and make sure by the end of the year you know how to answer them all.

For biology, study a chapter, then go to the table at the front of the exam papers and do every question in the exam papers that has to do with that question. Do this for every chapter and experiment.

For french, you have to practice listening at least once a week. And for grammer and essays, pick out a title that you want to write about for example, your house, write out what you want to say in english, then use your dictionary and textbook to translate what you've written in english to french. Honestly I never found sitting down and learning verbs efficent. I found that reptition and using the same words over and over was what allowed me to remember them better.

For geography, it's all about learning essays. go to past exam papers, do the essay questions and file them away for when you need them at the end of the year.

Honestly thats it, remember, the most important thing about studying is that it's consistent, I remember taking week breaks throughout the year where I just did homework and the bare mimnum because I felt tired but when i tried to study again I found it really difficult. Leaving cert year is not like any school year, the next 9 or so months will revolve around your study and nothing else, ye it sucks but everyone has to go through it. It's difficult to look around and see that people are going out and getting hammered during the weekend while your studying but they're apporaching the year wrong to be honest. Everyone in my year who got over 500 sacrificed a lot of their social life to succeed and it paid off. I'm not saying give up your friends and any social activities you would like to do, but you'll have to comprimise. Maybe instead of going out once a week, go out once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm four years out of Leaving Certificate History but I'll chip in with my 2 cents.

When doing assignments, this may sound silly, but stick to the question. If it's asking why the 1916 rising was a failure, answer it with reasons. Don't give a background, discussion of personalities or a long paragraph of digression etc., give clear concise facts about why it was a failure. Make the answer relevant and always come back to the question. For example "The lack of arms made the rising a failure. Another reason for the failure was..." and so on.

Build the argument. Straight forward. Give your opinion on what happened.

Read, read, read. When looking up stuff to your question, it's important to question what's in front of you. Is it relevant? Is it waffle? Does it matter? How can I link it to my question? If you don't have enough information, hop into your library or go online; the rewards could be huge.

Keep thinking about your work. What is it? How does it affect the world today? What was it like at the time?

Practice writing out questions from the exam papers until you can get an essay done while keeping it clear, focused, relevant, accurate.

Don't say 'I' unless you're a famous historian like Ian Kershaw imo!

Talk to your teacher. This is important. Ask any questions no matter how foolish it may seem. Talk after class or during. If you're unclear about something it'll only torment you.

It really is simple advice but it's best to work towards your strengths. Identify your strong areas and focus on what needs rebuilding.

All the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Im unsure of how to priortise homework and study...and practicing papers!
    Like, Should I do homework and revise classwork over the weekdays and leave revision and paperwork till the weekend? So confused!
    Just, I hadnt a clue last year and I still am kinda lost..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Im unsure of how to priortise homework and study...and practicing papers!
    Like, Should I do homework and revise classwork over the weekdays and leave revision and paperwork till the weekend? So confused!
    Just, I hadnt a clue last year and I still am kinda lost..

I'm afraid prioritisation and balancing will be a skill you'll have to acquire!

First and foremost it's the right thing to get your homework out of the way, you don't and you're in trouble, obviously.

Incorporate revision, exam papers into your study - they are 'study' after all. IMO, there's two categories; study and homework. While you're doing homework, technically you're still 'studying'. At the weekends do your study.

That's quite convoluted, it's best for you to find a plan and movement that suits you.

Advertisement