Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    Oh god this web design is out of control. Been working on it today from 10am to 10pm, god help the crowd who only decided to start it this week.

Definitely .. if you have'nt a lot/most of the work done already I'd imagine you,re f***ed to be honest . Finally beginning to think mine is not too bad, spent so long at it I hope I get a decent mark, every single thing validates so I'm very happy about that ... still will be at it till the bitter end!

Good luck with it everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

JFlah wrote: »
    Definitely .. if you have'nt a lot/most of the work done already I'd imagine you,re f***ed to be honest . Finally beginning to think mine is not too bad, spent so long at it I hope I get a decent mark, every single thing validates so I'm very happy about that ... still will be at it till the bitter end!

Good luck with it everyone!

Same here, just need to sort the menu buttons and finalise a few font colours and that's pretty much it. Be interesting to see what the best website looks like.

Same here, just need to sort the menu buttons and finalise a few font colours and that's pretty much it. Be interesting to see what the best website looks like.

saw some fantastic ones today , I reckon though simple and functional is what they want , will be interesting to see though

When I put this into one of my pages
    <div class="menu-buttons1"><h1 class="menu-buttons-text"><a href="home.html" class="nav"</a> Home</h1></div>
    It turns any content I have inside a H1 tag into a link, how do I avoid this? Completley confused by this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

What I did to solve this was something like this:

If I had sky content and saorview content but wanted different attributes for h1 I'd put this into my stylesheet:-

.skydiv h1{
    font-size:1em;
    }

.saorviewdiv h1 {
    font-size:2em;
    }

Now when you have

<div class="skydiv">
    <h1>Heading</h1>
    </div>
    and

<div class="skydiv">
    <h1>Heading</h1>
    </div>

Each H1 now has a different attribute. Let me know if you need anymore help.

• Advertisement

Also in case you don't have it done, I'd strongly advise putting your nav icons/text/buttons into an unordered list <ul><li>. In the stylesheet you can then display them as block and give them attributes like height,weight and background colour. You may have this done already but just in case.

Deadly, thanks for that.

Deadly, thanks for that.

No bother. You must be finished it now? It's a massive project but I suppose there is 70% going for it. I handed mine up last week. I just wanted the projects out of the way this weekend and next week as the exams are way to close.

AntiRip wrote: »
    No bother. You must be finished it now? It's a massive project but I suppose there is 70% going for it. I handed mine up last week. I just wanted the projects out of the way this weekend and next week as the exams are way to close.

Pretty much, just need to sort the internal links and change around the <h> tags that's pertty much it.

Out of curiosity did you use all the images supplied? Initially I used them all but found it made the website look worse and ditched a share of them.

Pretty much, just need to sort the internal links and change around the <h> tags that's pertty much it.

Out of curiosity did you use all the images supplied? Initially I used them all but found it made the website look worse and ditched a share of them.

No didn't use all the images, way too many especially the grundig etc one. U'd only be throwing them altogether just for sake of it. Just have 4 nice looking pages with same theme, easy navigation and good code you'll be fine I say. At the end of the day, it's a test on how well you can code and apply it.

• Advertisement

No didn't use all the images, way too many especially the grundig etc one. U'd only be throwing them altogether just for sake of it. Just have 4 nice looking pages with same theme, easy navigation and good code you'll be fine I say. At the end of the day, it's a test on how well you can code and apply it.
    No definitely using just some of the images is much better , any decent site i,ve seen for small businesses I've found that the less is more approach works really well. Try to have plenty white space it is very effective and professional looking. Generally it seems people have put huge effort into this , hopefully results will reflect it, the bulk of the marks are for CSS styling and coding so no matter what the page looks like if the code is good the mark should be.

Felt strange last night coming home and not havin to sit in front of the laptop for 3/4 hours working on webdesign. Didn't know what to do with myself. Trying to study for operating systems is awfully boring, some of the questions are pretty tough as well, especially memory management.

Felt strange last night coming home and not havin to sit in front of the laptop for 3/4 hours working on webdesign. Didn't know what to do with myself. Trying to study for operating systems is awfully boring, some of the questions are pretty tough as well, especially memory management.

I hope Memory Management is a separate Q3 again this year and Process Management is on it's own. Too much theory in the Process Management with different states of processes, I/0 interrupts, etc.

Memory Management is not a bad question, it will more than likely be about Paging (like 2009,2010,2011). CPU Scheduling is nice also with Gantt charts. Linux is also basically the same each year also.

Trying to get used of writing out Java, takes abit of getting used to. Also the short hand although quicker makes it a little harder as you have p s v m S(a[]) and JOPsMD(null,etc).

Best of luck anyways ;)

I hope Memory Management is a separate Q3 again this year and Process Management is on it's own. Too much theory in the Process Management with different states of processes, I/0 interrupts, etc.

Memory Management is not a bad question, it will more than likely be about Paging (like 2009,2010,2011). CPU Scheduling is nice also with Gantt charts. Linux is also basically the same each year also.

Trying to get used of writing out Java, takes abit of getting used to. Also the short hand although quicker makes it a little harder as you have p s v m S(a[]) and JOPsMD(null,etc).

Best of luck anyways ;)
    Yeah CPU scheduling is fairly handy and the linux question is grand too. If Process Management is a question in itself the exam will be grand, struggling to answer the questions based on it even with the notes.

Not done anything with Java but have plenty of time before thursday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

And another semester bites the dust \o/

Hope the exams are going well for ye all.

Sintel wrote: »

Roll on OOP1

Sintel wrote: »

Nice! Operating Systems exam paper was very handy compared to other years, so was please with that. Found it impossible trying to retain any information when studying for it.

Any idea when the results are out?

Had big problems trying to learn the OS stuff too :p would not stick. Results will be online on the 8th of June.

Nice! Operating Systems exam paper was very handy compared to other years, so was please with that. Found it impossible trying to retain any information when studying for it.

Any idea when the results are out?

I'm hoping Q2 on OOP1 isn't a killer like last year!. Will do Q1 then Q3(GUIs) and attempt Q2 for the last hour hopefully. Q2 can be damn tricky on paper with the looping. We'll be in the thick of it this time tomorrow anyway :pac:

I'm hoping Q2 on OOP1 isn't a killer like last year!. Will do Q1 then Q3(GUIs) and attempt Q2 for the last hour hopefully. Q2 can be damn tricky on paper with the looping. We'll be in the thick of it this time tomorrow anyway :pac:

Im the same really, just trying to remember all the bits for the GUI. Not overly gone on question 2 really, rather go in knowing the structure of the GUI and not having to worry about the minefield that is question 2.

• Advertisement

probably too late now but if you have a good grasp of the stuff Q4 is always fairly do-able , loops and validation on paper scares the bejasus out of me!! don,t really need to worry though if I do Q1 and Q3 well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Was studying PL/SQL all tuesday for my Adv DB Prog exam today. Decided to check what seat I was last night, and realised it was actually WAN Services & Security that I had, DB Prog is on Friday. :mad: I R RETARD

**** Sake. Did enough to pass anyway I think.

Opinicus wrote: »
    Was studying PL/SQL all tuesday for my Adv DB Prog exam today. Decided to check what seat I was last night, and realised it was actually WAN Services & Security that I had, DB Prog is on Friday. :mad: I R RETARD

Jesus, that would be a shock to the system alright! Best of luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Jesus, that would be a shock to the system alright! Best of luck anyway

Already did it Wednesday :o I probably already had it passed through CA anyway, but I was looking for a nice grade. Won't happen now. :pac:

Opinicus wrote: »
    Already did it Wednesday :o I probably already had it passed through CA anyway, but I was looking for a nice grade. Won't happen now. :pac:

A pass is a pass and trust me in a couple years you won't even remember what grades you got just the qualification ;)

That was a tough one to end with! Q1 and Q3 were good but Q2 was very tricky altogether. 4 months now to let it sink in :)

I was completley stumped by question 3, question 2 a did about a third of it but ran out of time. I would have known how to do question 2 but i didn't even bother revising that question and couldn't remember it properly. Give it a bash in a hope to pick up whatever few marks I could. Banking on question one to see me home but looking dodgy enough.
    Was studying PL/SQL all tuesday for my Adv DB Prog exam today. Decided to check what seat I was last night, and realised it was actually WAN Services & Security that I had, DB Prog is on Friday. I R RETARD

Sickener but an easy enough mistake to make in all honesty

I was completley stumped by question 3, question 2 a did about a third of it but ran out of time. I would have known how to do question 2 but i didn't even bother revising that question and couldn't remember it properly. Give it a bash in a hope to pick up whatever few marks I could. Banking on question one to see me home but looking dodgy enough.

Sickener but an easy enough mistake to make in all honesty

was happy with oop1 Q1 and Q3 were fair enough and thank god I did labs 15/16 Q4 was great , coz Q2 looked like a right sticky one on paper, maybe ok on pc but not on paper!

hopeful it went well anyway, and for everyone else too :)

JFlah wrote: »
    was happy with oop1 Q1 and Q3 were fair enough and thank god I did labs 15/16 Q4 was great , coz Q2 looked like a right sticky one on paper, maybe ok on pc but not on paper!

hopeful it went well anyway, and for everyone else too :)

Wished I had looked at lab15 and lab16 now. Took a big gamble on Q2 and didn't really prepare for it fully. If I get 50 marks for Q1 and Q3 which I should, I'll have 75% overall but still abit disappointed I didn't do as good as I should have. Will definitely not make that mistake again.

• Advertisement

21646904.jpg

Advertisement