Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Well, the nice (non-national) man in the Pavilions in Swords unlocked my phone for €20. No affidavits or DNA samples were required and now I'm rid of Vodafone forever.

Unfortunately, although my phone can now send and receive calls and texts, it delivers an error code when trying to set up emails. Mr. Google has a shedful of fixes for this problem, some going back to 2008. As yet, no solution has worked for my phone.

I would have thought that the network providers, who never tire telling us how valued we are and how they are striving to further improve their service, would have sorted this at least six-year-old problem by now but....oh silly me....of course, there's no profit in emails so why should they sort this out?

After two months of being messed around by Vodafone UK and now by O2.ie, I'm considering digging a hole in the garden, planting this phone in it and buying a SIM-free phone from Mr. Argos. Would I be right in saying that, although more expensive, a SIM-free phone cannot be locked by the sheisters I mean networks so that, if and when required, I can dump one sheis...network and move to another without the grief of trying to get the correct unlock code and then trying to calculate which of their unlock instructions are true, false or missing?
    i find mr google to be rather staid in is ways, now miss yahoo is younger brighter and delivers better

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ken wrote: »
    Download Ccleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Once you have it installed tick all the boxes beside chrome. Then analyse. Let it do its thing and once complete(100%) run cleaner. Make sure chrome is closed while doing it or it won't work.

My computer was going so slowly I could have got out and walked quicker. So I ran Ccleaner, Malwearbytes, defraggler and did the 'turn off the computer and the modem then turn them back on again' and while it is not exactly breaking records, it is 8 years old and its jogging along quite nicely again! Oh and I hoovered out the air vents!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

What am I doing wrong when keyboard no longer types words but adopts other functions? I suspect I have hit function or control key by mistake for upper case when typing some word. All I can do to resolve it, is to close/restart but this takes time and can be a nuisance if in the middle of a conversation.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

What am I doing wrong when keyboard no longer types words but adopts other functions? I suspect I have hit function or control key by mistake for upper case when typing some word. All I can do to resolve it, is to close/restart but this takes time and can be a nuisance if in the middle of a conversation.:confused:

You might have turned on 'sticky keys', which is a very annoying feature of Windows that I have never seen used but have seen get in the way several times.
    It is activated by hitting the ctrl, alt or shift keys five times in a row, and from then all keypresses are treated as if that key is held down.
    Hit Alt once, see if that clears it. If not hit ctrl once.

... alternatively you might have broken hardware and need a new keyboard.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Sticky keys seems on the right track but I am not doing something 5 times just happens mid flow in ordinary typing and I cannot work out where I went wrong or how to remedy it. Keyboard works fine after restart :)

If any relevance it is a HP laptop with windows 7.

• Advertisement

I think this should be on conspiracy theories or somewhere like that, but...you know how they said that after mid April there would not be any more updates for Windows XP? Well I have had at least two lots of updates since then - one last night, 9 updates! So what's that all about, are they installing 'this will break down in one month' software? I am feeling paranoid

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

looksee wrote: »
    I think this should be on conspiracy theories or somewhere like that, but...you know how they said that after mid April there would not be any more updates for Windows XP? Well I have had at least two lots of updates since then - one last night, 9 updates! So what's that all about, are they installing 'this will break down in one month' software? I am feeling paranoid
    There was one exception outside of the EOL (end of life) regarding a recent Internet Explorer/Flash player vulnerability. In all likelihood you missed a few updates ;) . It could also be Microsoft Office updates (if you have version 2007 or later) and Windows defender updates.
    These will appear in Windows Update as well (in newer Windows editions device drivers can be pulled through Windows Update, don't think that's the case with XP).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Nice try Nick, but we ain't falling for that explanation.

I reckon its a tracking device, so them nice chaps from India, who ring you offering to fix your Computer, know where you are, otherwise why would they call from such a long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

yoyo wrote: »
    There was one exception outside of the EOL (end of life) regarding a recent Internet Explorer/Flash player vulnerability. In all likelihood you missed a few updates ;) . It could also be Microsoft Office updates (if you have version 2007 or later) and Windows defender updates.
    These will appear in Windows Update as well (in newer Windows editions device drivers can be pulled through Windows Update, don't think that's the case with XP).

Nick
    martinn123 wrote: »
    Nice try Nick, but we ain't falling for that explanation.

I reckon its a tracking device, so them nice chaps from India, who ring you offering to fix your Computer, know where you are, otherwise why would they call from such a long distance.

I've had recent updates too and, although I know that these updates will make my laptop as slow as continental drift, the alternative (the Earth spinning off it's axis) is unaccepatable so I clicked "YES". I know that, if I had clicked "NO", all life as we know it would have ended but you say I might get a call from India? Mmmmm! From, like, a lady Indian person? With huge, dark eyes, neon teeth, beautiful skin and a sari? Drat and double drat!" I knew I should have clicked "NO".

Because I'm thick (that's why I read this thread) I'm struggling with yoyo's post - I suspect a misspent youth:
    "Windows Defender"??? Deh whoh, Joe? Like shutters like?
    "Windows editions device drivers can be pulled through Windows Update". Yeah, I knew that. My buddy, Jonner is a device driver and he got pulled through a windows update by the amblints men after he skidded into a ditch. Because Vodafone had locked the doors and sent the wrong unlock code, when the amblints men saw "Kick in windows / YES / NO" they had no choice.

By the way, Jonner was exonner...exhonourate...exonherat...got off with a warning and three points on his windows editions device drivers license.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I've had recent updates too and, although I know that these updates will make my laptop as slow as continental drift, the alternative (the Earth spinning off it's axis) is unaccepatable so I clicked "YES". I know that, if I had clicked "NO", all life as we know it would have ended but you say I might get a call from India? Mmmmm! From, like, a lady Indian person? With huge, dark eyes, neon teeth, beautiful skin and a sari? Drat and double drat!" I knew I should have clicked "NO".

Because I'm thick (that's why I read this thread) I'm struggling with yoyo's post - I suspect a misspent youth:
    "Windows Defender"??? Deh whoh, Joe? Like shutters like?
    "Windows editions device drivers can be pulled through Windows Update". Yeah, I knew that. My buddy, Jonner is a device driver and he got pulled through a windows update by the amblints men after he skidded into a ditch. Because Vodafone had locked the doors and sent the wrong unlock code, when the amblints men saw "Kick in windows / YES / NO" they had no choice.

By the way, Jonner was exonner...exhonourate...exonherat...got off with a warning and three points on his windows editions device drivers license.
    To clear up :) :
    Windows Defender (actually Microsoft Security Essentials in XP) is Microsofts free anti virus program. It will typically show updates through windows update, and Microsoft will still provide them for another few months for XP.
    A driver is a piece of software that tells your computer how to use a piece of equipment (say a printer). without a driver, the printer will be as useful as a car without a driver or even a key ;)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Brensbenz wrote:
    get a call from India? Mmmmm! From, like, a lady Indian person? With huge, dark eyes, neon teeth, beautiful skin and a sari? Drat and double drat!" I knew I should have clicked "NO".

I got 6 updates tonight, do you think she knows how to Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Eeden wrote: »

Sorry, guys, posted this in the wrong thread, obviously! :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »
    I got 6 updates tonight, do you think she knows how to Skype.

Well,, I should have known that a cheese sandwich last thing at night was not a good plan. Went to sleep, dreaming of the sari-clad beauty. She called me on my CackBerry - I got vision first: stunning eyes, milk chocolate skin, etc., etc. "Wow" I thought. "Wonder if my Leader of the Opposition would agree to an open marriage". After a few clicks and buzzes, and a huge, heart-melting smile, audio came through: "Howaya Head?" she said. "How's she cutt'n? Is yur cumpewher broke or whoh? Here's a few updates fur ya".

I've been too scared to sleep since but, with all of the extra thinking time I now find available to me, I've decided to regard these XP updates as loss leaders - we're being "Tesco'd" into upgrading our OSs or replacing our computers. "Oh, if only you had Windows n+1, all of your issues (you can't have problems anymore, only issues) would be solved."

Well, Mrs. BrensBenz has Windows 8 and, as far as I can see, it's exactly the same stuff, only harder to find. Best of luck finding "Search" or how strong your wi-fi signal is or where your downloads actually go to with any OS after XP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

my photo bucket has disappeared! Tried to recover...a password was required but i never had a p/w for photo/b. I just used to lob my pics & store on photo/b. I was told not to worry it's on the hard drive...??. HELP! my life is there in pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

poppyvally wrote: »
    my photo bucket has disappeared! Tried to recover...a password was required but i never had a p/w for photo/b. I just used to lob my pics & store on photo/b. I was told not to worry it's on the hard drive...??. HELP! my life is there in pictures

Probably best to contact them directly: http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My mind has finally gone. I sat down to remove cookies and .... I have totally forgotton what to do. :(

Rubecula wrote: »
    My mind has finally gone. I sat down to remove cookies and .... I have totally forgotton what to do. :(

That happens to me all the time, I figure out how to do something then moments later I have to do it again and can't remember. I try not to worry about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

What browser do you use Rubecula. Here's how to do it for the most popular browsers http://www.pcworld.com/article/242939/how_to_delete_cookies.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks Ken very helpful :)

• Advertisement

I was going to post this on a 'proper' computer forum :D but I could not figure out which one it was to go on, so maybe someone in here can help.

I recently upgraded to Eircom e-fibre (new modem etc) and since then I am constantly getting 'oops Chrome cannot connect to xxxx link' messages when I try to follow a link or use my bookmark bar. Not every time but often enough to be very irritating. If I just keep re-loading eventually it will (probably) link. Does anyone know if this is likely to be an Eircom problem, or a Chrome issue, or where do I start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was going to post this on a 'proper' computer forum :D but I could not figure out which one it was to go on, so maybe someone in here can help.

I recently upgraded to Eircom e-fibre (new modem etc) and since then I am constantly getting 'oops Chrome cannot connect to xxxx link' messages when I try to follow a link or use my bookmark bar. Not every time but often enough to be very irritating. If I just keep re-loading eventually it will (probably) link. Does anyone know if this is likely to be an Eircom problem, or a Chrome issue, or where do I start?

Well you could try using another browser to see if the same problem occurs. Then you could determine if the issue is with chrome. If it is chrome, I'd reinstall it to see that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It could be the default channel the new router is set to, interfering with other wireless networks on same channel.

Bruthal wrote: »
    It could be the default channel the new router is set to, interfering with other wireless networks on same channel.

What would I do about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What would I do about that?

You have to log into the router and go to wireless settings, which might be in advanced settings or similar, on them routers. Change the channel to another.

I think on Eircom routers you put 192.168.1.254 into address bar of browser, then you need username and password which no one ever seems to know.

But you can do it by plugging laptop into router with Ethernet cable, so no logging in required, as that security is simply a safeguard against people outside the house logging in.

Someone more familiar with the exact setup of them routers might have a better description. I can easily do it when in front of screen looking, but hard to describe for a router I have not used much.

If you check the Eircom forum http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057231471/1#post90869895 you'll see I tried to help someone with this exact problem yesterday evening so it's not just you Looksee.

Thanks Ken, yes I checked that out and followed the instructions and it seems to have worked!

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

i have an old dell tower which ran xp pro, its hd has 160g, if i get a case which i can connect it to my lappy also on xp can i use it, or is it because one is a lappy and the other is a pc is their a conflict.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    i have an old dell tower which ran xp pro, its hd has 160g, if i get a case which i can connect it to my lappy also on xp can i use it, or is it because one is a lappy and the other is a pc is their a conflict.
    You can do it. Essentially the tower is just a huge external hard drive of the laptop.

Advertisement