Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it like these days

• 05-12-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I used to play WOW a lot but havn't played since cata game out, but just wondering what's it like these days? Are the Raids good? Is it interesting or get boring fairly quickly? I'm starting to get the itch again in the cold winter months :(

Regards,

Shano

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can play the game to level 20 for free, so you could always just check it out yourself. I gave up ages ago, and have no real desire to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

its great for about a week or so. then its incredibly dull.

just cancelled my sub again. dunno if i'll bother going back til mists of pandaria :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Scroll sent :D
    Me, Boru an Maxi still playin (have had breaks) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Good for a week after a major patch then boring again.. Cancelled Sub.

Ordered SWTOR! Maybe check that out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

I'd recommend trying Rift. I started to get tired of WOW sometime at the start of the year. I started playing Rift a couple of months ago. Reminds me of what WOW felt like four years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

bloody hell i had hopes for 4.3 but its rubbish for me. I PVP mostly and having done the grind on a few toons and enjoyed it for 4.2 i cant do it again.

Its not worth the sub anymore at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

seanabc wrote: »
    I'd recommend trying Rift. I started to get tired of WOW sometime at the start of the year. I started playing Rift a couple of months ago. Reminds me of what WOW felt like four years ago.

Rift gets boring very fast, once you know how to string macro's together especially.
    I could kill anyone in 4 or 5 seconds in Rift, by pressing one button which had macro's bound to it :rolleyes:
    I was well geared and rank 6 pvp (I forget what rank pvp goes up to now, probably a lot higher than that at this stage) so it helped but really, it was ridiculous.
    Had a lot of potential for a game but it became just another Korean type grind mmo and that's what killed it for a lot of people. If you are intent on playing though, play on an American server at least as the pops can still be quiet high and open world pvp still goes on a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Once you hit 85, if your not gearing characters and progression raiding your going to get bored, simple as.

Of course a new MMO will keep you pecked for a while, your doing something brand new.

As with every MMO, Swtor will make or break on endgame, and at the moment, its pretty rubbish, buggy and just bad.

oxo_ wrote: »
    Rift gets boring very fast, once you know how to string macro's together especially.
    I could kill anyone in 4 or 5 seconds in Rift, by pressing one button which had macro's bound to it :rolleyes:
    I was well geared and rank 6 pvp (I forget what rank pvp goes up to now, probably a lot higher than that at this stage) so it helped but really, it was ridiculous.
    Had a lot of potential for a game but it became just another Korean type grind mmo and that's what killed it for a lot of people. If you are intent on playing though, play on an American server at least as the pops can still be quiet high and open world pvp still goes on a lot.

Maybe so. I should probably start learning something about macros. :)

Maybe so. I should probably start learning something about macros. :)

It's not all that bad though Sean, you'll get a few months enjoyment out of it for sure. It just becomes more and more of a complete grind once you've maxed your level and PvP rating, though at least there is open world pvp which goes on a lot (at least on the populated US servers). Pve raid wise it wasn't bad, again though a grind to gear up the best you can, farm farm farm :)

Some like that though so I dunno. I enjoyed the pvp for the most part and played bard a lot in pvp to get more of a challenge outside of the 4/5 second "you're dead" macro I spammed.

There was a great deal of competition between servers/factions and players at times, and I enjoyed that a lot. I was never beaten 1v1 myself but that's mostly because I'd vanish away if I came close to it, purely for the rage that ensued afterwards :D

There was no underpowered or really overpowered class (despite the outspoken whines from some). Some abilities were a bit off the wall with some classes but you just had to learn to counter, or live with it.

If the monthly sub were cheaper (or free!) I'd probably go back every now and again to play for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

oxo_ wrote: »

To be fair i never found it to be a grind at all.
    I quit because the population died on my server, that was before they introduced free weekly server transfer.
    I wonder is that still in place?

The free server transfer is still there. I'm on Icewatch and it seems well enough populated to me. My main drawback with the game is the lag in the capital cities. I didn't have that problem on this pc with WOW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The free server transfer is still there. I'm on Icewatch and it seems well enough populated to me. My main drawback with the game is the lag in the capital cities. I didn't have that problem on this pc with WOW.

Any thoughts on what endgame is like?
    Also how is the chloromancer doing these days as healer?
    Sorry to go off topic OP.

You can ask Trion via support ticket if they'll move your character to a US server from EU, can be done once only though - I did this myself, took them a couple hours at the time to organise it.

Just an option as there are US server still with high pops in Rift, Wolfsbane I think is still one of them.

Endgame, if you don't mind the constant grind for gear, wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed the raiding. A lot was nerfed toward more casual players but (at least when I was raiding) it was still a challenge.

Chloro got nerfed because of being overpowered in PvP (if played well) but, apparently it's still perfectly fine in PvE.

Server transfers are still free too yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

Been off from the game myself for about a year, Ive got two lvl85 and one lvl75 chars at the Blades Edge and I REALLY miss back but wouldnt want to pay the card if its not as good as it was before Cata. I guess Id need to get a proper gear cos IC ones presumably wudnt be nothing anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Foley1Kanobi

Pandas... >.<

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For the first time in months, i've actually got a slight urge to resubscribe. I've been listening to some of the music from the game, and it's drawing me back.

Begone foul temptress!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

urgh, now im tempted to resub too just to fly around those zones with DAT music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Any servers that aren't completely dead, or hugely imbalanced?
    also, any servers with a half decent community?

I might go back for whats probably the 4th time this summer. Every time I go back its just not the same though. I think the main part that kills it for me is the way its now just standing in cities and doing nothing-craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

draenor is decent if you're rolling horde, alliance side is dead though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I can honestly say if my computer wasn't a piece of sh!t I would be back playing. Miss the community more then the actually raiding. Was always good fun.

Might head back some time soon. If I eventually lose the OCD for achievements on Xbox :/

Installing wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

http://wow.realmpop.com/

might help to find a active balanced server
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    Any servers that aren't completely dead, or hugely imbalanced?
    also, any servers with a half decent community?

I might go back for whats probably the 4th time this summer. Every time I go back its just not the same though. I think the main part that kills it for me is the way its now just standing in cities and doing nothing-craft.

I'll pop onto my old one for the time being ( Terenas ) my account was hacked ages ago so playing on a new one which is a pain :(

hacked or not, once the account was registered in your real name you will be able to get it back. make a ticket on the website before you go shelling out for a new account tbh

Got my character back \o/ He wasn't do badly hacked. Replaced my 450 B.S with 450 Herbs ?:/ 0 durability on the gear I was wearing. Bank was left fine.

Just got Cata online there to for 15 quid. Suppose I'll start leveling tomorrow night!

nice :)

you are probably better off with herbing, leveling BS is kinda pointless atm. there is so much gear easily obtainable.
    Got my character back \o/ He wasn't do badly hacked. Replaced my 450 B.S with 450 Herbs ?:/ 0 durability on the gear I was wearing. Bank was left fine.

Just got Cata online there to for 15 quid. Suppose I'll start leveling tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Got my priest just about 81 atm. Think a few in BR levellin and almost 80 if wanna poke em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rightyshu

if anyone wants some level 85's i have some on an account with a weeks gametime left... 85 priest, 85 mage, 85 druid ... not sure if the hackers have left anything worthwhile gearwise, but all were full vicious when i left (s9)

• Advertisement

If you do decide to play again or start anew, just be aware that many servers are dead these days. Do pick an active server to play on if you can.

Although Blizzard put a PR spin on the redundancies announced the other day, in reality it's quite telling I think that it corresponds with the serious drop off in active players on EU servers at least.

10 million players my arse. I'd wonder if the number for Europe is even above 200k these days.

Advertisement