Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much disposable income do you have after expenses?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Ive seen work colleagues let go, and their words being "Ive lost everything, everything is gone. .
    I know a broad range of people from all differant backgrounds and have never seen anyone go hungry or even close to it. The overwhelming majority of irish people live in a lovely house, have transport, access to internet, phones iponds gym membership etc. I'll guess that you have all this stuff and therefore you live like a king. But somebody told you we're in a recession and times are hard and you believed them.
    When irish people say "I lost everything, everything is gone" after being left go, what they mean is they have lost their status, their sense of self, they won't be able to keep up with the Jones's anymore, this is more a psychological problem than a money problem.
    Of the people I know around my own age who are unemployed, I know that they could have easily got work in a number of fast food resturants, but didn't want the work as they tought the job wasn't good enough. This again isin't a jobs problem it's more a psychological one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phurryphace

Zero in my case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭dunnaman93

Let me see, oh yes about minus 100 feckin' euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Red21 wrote: »
    I can never understand what all this recession sh*te people are bangin on about over the last few years is all about. I earn way less than the average wage yet i've everything I need, and still have lots of cash left over.
    Of course some folks are in a different situation, they've no job or whatever but I can honestly say I don't know a single Irish person that I feel sorry for where money is concerned.
    I reckon the amount of people that are really struggling is very very very small and blown way outta proportion by the media.
    Night after night on t.v and the net people are banging on about this tax that charge and how much such and such a fella earns. I reckon i've less than most people I know, yet I live like a king and couldn't give a toss about all that recession sh!te.

From my last two trips home I can safely say that people in Ireland have a lot more disposalbe income then you would have in New Zealand, and I earn a decent enough wedge. It's very noticeable, (amongst my friends and family anyway). We pay a lot for food and rent here. I try and remember this when I hear the non-stop recession talk and get "The Fear" about moving home to Dublin. I'm sure a lot of people are struggling but I can tell you I got a shock when I moved to NZ and was asked to donate to charities to buy coats and shoes for children because they were being sent to school without them in winter. I'd never come across that before and it's widespread here.

It all depends what you define being on the breadline as, I guess. I'm sure a number of people at home are but it gets watered down in all the recession talk sometimes. I think people have different priorities and ideas of what having no disposable income/no money means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

watna wrote: »
    From my last two trips home I can safely say that people in Ireland have a lot more disposalbe income then you would have in New Zealand, and I earn a decent enough wedge. It's very noticeable, (amongst my friends and family anyway). We pay a lot for food and rent here. I try and remember this when I hear the non-stop recession talk and get "The Fear" about moving home to Dublin. I'm sure a lot of people are struggling but I can tell you I got a shock when I moved to NZ and was asked to donate to charities to buy coats and shoes for children because they were being sent to school without them in winter. I'd never come across that before and it's widespread.

If you're working (for the same money) and renting when moving back then things are as good if not better financially than 4/5 years ago. Rents have gone down a little, there's been pretty much no net inflation, income tax hasn't gone up, Vat is up 2%. Very little has actually changed so far for the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

amacachi wrote: »
    If you're working (for the same money) and renting when moving back then things are as good if not better financially than 4/5 years ago. Rents have gone down a little, there's been pretty much no net inflation, income tax hasn't gone up, Vat is up 2%. Very little has actually changed so far for the majority of people.

Thanks - Fingers crossed it will all work out :) You should have seen me when I was home last a few months ago and went to Tesco - I kept walking around saying "look how cheap x is". I had to be dragged away from the cheese counter. You'd swear it was made of gold sometimes here.The only thing that was more expensive was beer and wine and that was significantly dearer (even for European beer and wine). I'm presuming due to taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Sweet feck all. Hopefully new job changes that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

None, really... though I do count cocaine and hookers as expenses, so I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

I can only afford to pay for the roof over my head, food, clothes, transport, booze and fags.........I've lost everything :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wow, 25 a week? That's pretty hairy. Usually I'd have about 300-ish left over each week, but realistically I usually manage to find ways to spend it without realizing most of the time. To the guy who said he lives like a king on below average wage, that's fine and all, but the people in trouble are for the most part those with commitments in the line of mortgages/kids/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

After big bills, about €1750 so from that food, petrol and household bills would be about €660 so that leaves me with €1090 per month. However there is always something large to come out of that, whether car tax, insurance, oil whatever. so I tend to keep it to about €100 a week disposable so things don't get too bad, and I can save a little.
    Hubbie and I are very, very lucky. I might hate my current job but I can move on in the industry I'm in, and my hubbie despite the occasional grumble loves his.
    But remember everyone has their own problems. For us money is fine, but we have fertility issues. Our best mates have no problems having babies, but have been on the dole for 3 years, can't sell the house because it's in too much negative equity and the banks won't let them. However they don't starve, they get out occassionally and all their mates pull together for certain things for them.
    Never look at someone with money and think their life must be great cause you don't have a clue what else is going on in their lives. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

it varies from month to month depending but i'd say i average out about 1,200 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im a full time student. I have 250 a month that has to pay for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Do not respond to OP. He/She/It is a governement plant to see how many more taxes can be imposed on you, without causing anarchic revolution in the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

. I reckon i've less than most people I know, yet I live like a king and couldn't give a toss about all that recession sh!te.

2 thoughts spring to mind.

A: You just know a lot of very wealthy people. Think of bill cullen hanging out with dermot desmond and bill gates. Yea, he's the poor one, but he wont starve!

B: You haven't a fúcking clue what living like a king means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 superman123

Not enough to live properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

About €100-€150, if I'm lucky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After food, rent, clothes and bills about minus 50 quid a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

€110 left, minus fags which leaves me with about three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

49 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Usually about €1500, sometimes more depending on how many days I've worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

watna wrote: »
    Thanks - Fingers crossed it will all work out :) You should have seen me when I was home last a few months ago and went to Tesco - I kept walking around saying "look how cheap x is". I had to be dragged away from the cheese counter. You'd swear it was made of gold sometimes here.The only thing that was more expensive was beer and wine and that was significantly dearer (even for European beer and wine). I'm presuming due to taxes.

What's expensive to you if you don't mind me asking? Both have gone down in the last coupla years as far as I can tell, there's more beer than ever at a quid a can and Tesco regularly have 25% off when buying 6 bottles of wine. The better stuff may well be dear but that's not something I have experience in. :pac:
    Can't imagine living without good cheese, may as well just cut out my tongue. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The overwhelming majority of irish people live in a lovely house, have transport, access to internet, phones iponds gym membership etc.

Where do I get one of these interactive user friendly iponds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My Father is in his element in this recession. He's a maths teacher, any time he's in the supermarket he goes straight to the reduced aisle (where they put stuff going out of date).

Even during the good times he was like this. Doing mental arithmetic to see what product was cheaper according to net weight and the like.

My mother on the hand has no money. She's even asking me for money, a unemployed drop put. She's a lot worse off than most people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

After paying my rent (bills included), travel card and done my food shopping I have between £20-£40 depending on how much I spent on food.

I live in London though so my rent and travel card are extortionate and I reckon most people here must be broke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

After rent, bills, food, petrol and medical expenses, about €1400 a month. I save a few hundred every month and pay for things like car servicing, gym membership and what not out of the savings. The rest I spend on shiny things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Once my mortgage is paid, loan, bills, petrol etc i have less than €50 a week left over to myself. I drive a 12yr old car and i rarely buy anything for myself. I consider myself properly skint. The average social welfare recipient is way better off than i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sindri wrote: »
    Where do I get one of these interactive user friendly iponds?

You're best off to wait for the newest version out soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

CJC999 wrote: »
    Once my mortgage is paid, loan, bills, petrol etc i have less than €50 a week left over to myself. I drive a 12yr old car and i rarely buy anything for myself. I consider myself properly skint. The average social welfare recipient is way better off than i am.

Even the ones who have to also pay a mortgage,loan,bills,petrol etc,who had to get rid of their twelve year old car because they're on social welfare?

think before you post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Even the ones who have to also pay a mortgage,loan,bills,petrol etc,who had to get rid of their twelve year old car because they're on social welfare?

think before you post.

In my experience the average social welfare recipient does not have a mortgage as theyre in social housing or live at home, they generally do not have loans and most still have much newer cars than i have. Theyre better off than i am. I did think before i posted, that is my opinion based on my own observations.

Advertisement