Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much disposable income do you have after expenses?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I'm "emigrating" to Cork City quite soon to seek work (I live in a village).

I've already forked out almost 400euro for the new flat, and I haven't even moved in yet.

It's going to be pretty fecking tight I tell ya. Now I'm living at home at the moment, and I can say it's quite comfy, enough money for a few tins of a weekend or maybe 2 or 3 pints, a packidge of fags.

But in the "big city" I think I'll literally be scraping the pennies.

So after all the rent, shopping, bills are done... what do you have leftover for "a few tins"? Working people may also reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

surely one has servants who deal with this kind of minor detail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Broads.ie wrote: »
    I'm "emigrating" to Cork City

Have you been inoculated?

Quare dangerous.......like.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

After expenses I am left with 3k a month on the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I dispose of all my income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Used to be three fiddy, but after the recent budget, it's about two fiddy seven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Erm.... after paying rent, bills, and putting money aside for food/traveling expenses, I have say, 400 a month. Maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Fluc all after driving to Dublin everyday and paying for creche etc. poxy couple of quid to treat the kids every so often

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

racso1975 wrote: »
    Fluc all after driving to Dublin everyday and paying for creche etc. poxy couple of quid to treat the kids every so often
    that'll teach you for having sprogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

25-30 euro a week after all bills,food,rent is paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

At the moment about -100 bucks a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Broads.ie wrote: »
    So after all the rent, shopping, bills are done... what do you have leftover for "a few tins"? Working people may also reply.
    I can never understand what all this recession sh*te people are bangin on about over the last few years is all about. I earn way less than the average wage yet i've everything I need, and still have lots of cash left over.
    Of course some folks are in a different situation, they've no job or whatever but I can honestly say I don't know a single Irish person that I feel sorry for where money is concerned.
    I reckon the amount of people that are really struggling is very very very small and blown way outta proportion by the media.
    Night after night on t.v and the net people are banging on about this tax that charge and how much such and such a fella earns. I reckon i've less than most people I know, yet I live like a king and couldn't give a toss about all that recession sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

€131 a week not including food, booze and smokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Red21 wrote: »
    I can never understand what all this recession sh*te people are bangin on about over the last few years is all about. I earn way less than the average wage yet i've everything I need, and still have lots of cash left over.
    Of course some folks are in a different situation, they've no job or whatever but I can honestly say I don't know a single Irish person that I feel sorry for where money is concerned.
    I reckon the amount of people that are really struggling is very very very small and blown way outta proportion by the media.
    Night after night on t.v and the net people are banging on about this tax that charge and how much such and such a fella earns. I reckon i've less than most people I know, yet I live like a king and couldn't give a toss about all that recession sh!te.

I have to agree,the amount of people i know complaining about tax this and recession that,how they can't afford to keep up with the bills yet they own a 2011 audi.

The people who really get to me though are those living in negative equity who never had any impulse of moving out of their houses since they bought pre 2008 yet still complain.

Ireland is just back to a normal state in terms of income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

To misquote Charlie McCreevy "when I have it, I'll spend it".

I dislike the idea of living a life where I'm saving more than I can spend. The day I open my own savings' account, if ever, is going to be a sad day in my life.

€131 a week not including food, booze and smokes.
    Anybody can come out with a figure like that, I don't your situation do you live with your folks, do you work nixers etc. But I know plenty people who are outta work and money wise they seem to be getting on just fine. I'm sure they are people who are strapped but considering I haven't met a single person over the last few years I believe it's being blown outta proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

After mortgage is paid, car loan and other bills I'm left with €25 a week. I have to get petrol out of that too... It's tight, I never have money but as long as I have a roof and food on the table, Ill get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

€25 a week, the joys of being self employed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

A neighbor of mine was in earlier talking to my Ma and she was bangin' on about this new broadcasting tax and how she is on the breadline as it is (she's a school teacher and husband a postman) all the while she's driving around in a 10' Audi A6. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

RickRoll wrote: »
    A neighbor of mine was in earlier talking to my Ma and she was bangin' on about this new broadcasting tax and how she is on the breadline as it is (she's a school teacher and husband a postman) all the while she's driving around in a 10' Audi A6. :rolleyes:

She could be paying a whopper loan on that car and can't sell it now because she would get feck all on it.

• Advertisement

€25 a week, the joys of being self employed :rolleyes:
    Everyone I know who are self employed are living like kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Anybody can come out with a figure like that, I don't your situation do you live with your folks, do you work nixers etc. But I know plenty people who are outta work and money wise they seem to be getting on just fine. I'm sure they are people who are strapped but considering I haven't met a single person over the last few years I believe it's being blown outta proportion.

I live at home with my parents and pay rent. I buy my own food for breakfast, lunch and dinner but not butter, milk, cheese and crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

very easy answer, in the minus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

There's too much week at the end of my money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Everyone I know who are self employed are living like kings.
    How many kings' personal finances do you know intimately?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Not enough, not nearly enough.

How many kings' personal finances do you know intimately?;)
    None, I don't have to know their finances they all have nice houses, nice cars, flat screen tv, shy, internet connection, mobile phones, gym membership and a load of other sh!te. When I see people with this stuff I consider them to be living like kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

When you attempt to live within your income, the outcome is usually a comedown !

OR

It is better to live rich than to die rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Sorry but that's bulls**t......you only have to look around at the ghost towns, emmigration figures and business closures to really understand the situation. Its not enough to say the people you know deserve no sympathy. that's your social circle. It doesnt speak for the rest of the country.

Posts like this actually infuriate me because there really are a serious amount of people out there struggling with families, no jobs, and serious bills to pay and most people dont drive around in new cars, and f**k it if they do, maybe it was one bloody treat they've got in a long time. I would never begrudge anyone that as long as priorities are in check. Its really tough being a young person these days, so many companies asking them to work for free, no jobs out there and emmigration rising.

Ive seen work colleagues let go, and their words being "Ive lost everything, everything is gone. Pensions destroyed. Families with no way to help their kids go to college or even secure a job so that kid might have a chance. And then you have the middle class families who many arent entitled to any form of a grant and they cant afford to go to college or a postgrad ect. And there are many people, not just a few who have no jobs, and I honestly think its one of the most frightening things to lose your job, unless you have a good support network of family and friends and a get and up and go attitude, its really soul destroying.

Congratulations if you live like a king on very little as you claim. Thats certainly a great thing you have going. But speak for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You're moving to Cork boi? Lethal, we go gattin' that night. Giz a text when you're down.

Advertisement