Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and children first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

woah, wrap it up there. that line has been used. thread over.

sounded like a lecture was on the way there but was just curious :)

i'd be shouting women and children first if they were there with me but if i was on the cruise with the lads i may get a little pushy so i can get home to them

guess ya dont know til you find yourself in that situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Dudess wrote: »
    Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

I agree with that but i would have it:

Me, Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I would do my absolute best to save as many men, women and children as I could.
    But the second I realise that by staying any longer on this boat that I'm gonna die then you can bet your arse I'm getting the **** out of there sharpish and you're on your own.

Its apparently a crime if you are the captain to leave the ship before everyone else, a French couple spotted him hiding under a blanket on the first life boat, if the report is to be believed. Guess its sort of like being the bodyguard of the president and a guy takes out a gun and shoots him in front of you and you just stand there… you know you should have done what you were paid to do but…. F**k that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What about people that can't swim for shit? Surely that's the only category of people that should get first preference? Why is age or gender more important?

• Advertisement

What about people that can't swim for shit? Surely that's the only category of people that should get first preference? Why is age or gender more important?

Because suddenly nobody on the boat would be able to swim then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd take all those reports and claims with a grain of salt until the accident has been objectively investigated. Considering that there were thousands on board and at most 20 were lost, the crew must have done something right.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In general being a good swimmer is a moot point because you would be so far out sea or in cold enough waters that it wouldn't make any difference. This case is a bit of an exception in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

They should replace the life jackets with tridents and fight to the death (grannys included)

Oh and if a child is to small to hold one then two may enter as a team

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

davet82 wrote: »
    Because suddenly nobody on the boat would be able to swim then :rolleyes:

They could throw em into the sea to prove it. The ones that don't drown would be the lying bastards. This method has its drawbacks of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In this incident I would have swam to the shore if I absolutely had to, they must have been less then 100ft from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,866 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Elderly, Children and those with disablities 1st

After that in this time of equality its up to you, why should it be woman and children 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They could throw em into the sea to prove it. The ones that don't drown would be the lying bastards. This method has its drawbacks of course.

Too time consuming

Maybe ONLY Women WITH children first???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What about men who are single parents? Discrimination!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

"women and children" first don't exist anymore.

One thing I hate is that women today talk about equal rights. If a man can do a job a woman can too, etc. Fair enough to that. But would the same 'independent' woman be screaming "equal rights!" in a sinking ship...

Nope. 'Women and children first! outta my way!' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I think the real issue here is.. why didn't Rose just let Jack get up on top of that piece of floating debris with her? or find something else to get up on top of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It should be "hot women and gifted children" first.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭CucaFace

woodoo wrote: »
    I agree with that but i would have it:

Me, Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

Well in fairness, heavily pregnant woman would float on top of the water due to their natural buoyancy so id order the launch all heavily pregnant woman over the side of the ship first.

Plus they could then actually be used as additional floats in the water by others who have fallen into the water.

Pity people just don’t use their heads in these situations of panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It depends on a great deal of things. Firstly, how hot are these women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Children & hot women first.
    If there is going to be sexism, we might as well use it to whittle out the wrecks...

...see what I did there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its apparently a crime if you are the captain to leave the ship before everyone else, a French couple spotted him hiding under a blanket on the first life boat,

He sounds like something out of a Rik Mayall comedy show. Drinking with the beautiful women while in charge of the ship, driving the ship close to the bay to wave at people, sneaking out of the crashed ship first and under a blanket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

...One aspect of the story was the fact that a lot of the crew abandoned ship before passengers were evacuated.

Was just thinking about this.
    Isnt kitchen staff, bar staff, waiters etc etc classed as crew?

So why should some waiter be willing to hang on till all passengers is off before him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I think it should be 'Women WITH Children'
    That would be acceptable to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I would hate to be a white,protestant,adult male in a women and children first situation.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,866 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think it should be 'Women WITH Children'
    That would be acceptable to me.

What is there is single dads on the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'm firing one warning shot in the air and brandishing the gun for all to see.
    Man, Woman or Child. Attempt to leave and you get shot.
    See theres a situation where women and children first makes sense. Let them soak up the lead and I'll get out while you're reloading. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well it is a bit of an antiquated notion imo. Unless the woman and kids were my own family then there's no reason why I'd feel that their lives are any more important than my own.

I don't think it's about whose lives are more important - that'd be industrialists and entrepreneurs first - it's more to do with the adult male being stronger and more able to survive hardship. Males can take more punishment, swim better etc, so they let the weak go first.

I don't think it's about whose lives are more important - that'd be industrialists and entrepreneurs first - it's more to do with the adult male being stronger and more able to survive hardship. Males can take more punishment, swim better etc, so they let the weak go first.

Hmmmm.... so the weaker sex should go first? Good luck with that comment :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

What is there is single dads on the boat?

Fine

Advertisement