Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In spite of these austere time lets give the Queen a new yacht

• 16-01-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Michael Grove, the UK Education Secretary, thinks it would be a spiffing idea to celebrate Liz's Diamond jubilee by buying her a big, pimped out yacht, cost to the British Tax Payer-Str60m:
    Michael Grove has brushed aside Britain's economic problems to propose the public donate a new royal yacht to the Queen as a mark of respect during this year's diamond jubilee celebrations, according to a confidential letter to fellow ministers.In the letter, which has been sent to Jeremy Hunt, the culture secretary and minister overseeing the celebrations, and to the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, Gove at one point comes close to suggesting that Britain's dire economic climate means that a large-scale celebration is required to lift the country's spirits.
    The education secretary writes: "In spite, and perhaps because of the austere times, the celebration should go beyond those of previous jubilees and mark the greater achievement that the diamond anniversary represents."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/15/queen-royal-yacht-diamond-jubilee-gove?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Not to be outdone I propose Pres Mickey D only travels to engagements from now on by Zeppelin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

What has this to do with us?

Regardless, it's a disgusting waste anyway. Let the **** buy it herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Britain's dire economic climate means that a large-scale celebration is required to lift the country's spirits.
    And what better way to do this than to buy a yacht for one of the world's wealthiest women?

How grotesque.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should buy her a jet-pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They should buy a rocket and send her to the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

EggsAckley wrote: »
    cost to the British Tax Payer-Str60m:

Cost to the Irish Taxpayer = €0

So do we really give a fúck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How much Tourism revenue does herself and the family generate for the UK each year?

How much Tourism revenue does herself and the family generate for the UK each year?

Three fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

EggsAckley wrote: »
    cost to the British Tax Payer-Str60m:

Cost to the Irish Taxpayer = €0

So do we really give a fúck.
    Unfortunately some Irish peoples taxes will fund this disgusting extravagence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yeah, let's get her a yacht. Then we can send her and the whole royal family shower - all of them down to the second cousins - off on a Mediterranean cruise, preferably with that Italian captain from the Costa Concordia at the helm --- :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

they could move south if it offends them so much. Like Gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

yep, but they'll also get free healthcare and all the other benefits of living in the UK.

their choice.

Plenty; the royal family undoubtedly generates revenue for the British exchequer - it is a net contributor, but only in a passive way.

The Royal family brings in money because people are fascinated by their immense privilege, not by their selfless commitment.

Anyway, the argument is not about British Republicanism, but about the idea of bestowing a gift like this to the monarch. The lavishness of the planned jubilee celebrations just defies logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am so glad if only we could contribute.

I read a while ago during the queens visit when a magazine puts a royal on the cover proportionally the magazine will sell more here then in Britain. I am afraid we love the royals as well.

Now who here didn't watch the wedding last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

44leto wrote: »

I read a while ago during the queens visit when a magazine puts a royal on the cover proportionally the magazine will sell more here then in Britain. I am afraid we love the royals as well.

me. and i'm english.

all the irish, with one exception, in our office watched it. i was amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's okay mate, The Guard and In Bruge made more money here than The Kings Speech and The Iron Lady.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what people who buy ****e magazines do tbh...besides, folk could be buying it to wipe their hole on the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Probably about the same as France's monarchy does for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

What has this to do with us?

Very little, I found it amusing though

Well lets face it, the woman with the two vaginas story doesn't exactly have a lot "to do with us" either.

It's okay mate, The Guard and In Bruge made more money here than The Kings Speech and The Iron Lady.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what people who buy ****e magazines do tbh...besides, folk could be buying it to wipe their hole on the cover.

But did you watch the royal wedding, bet you did, or the highlights.

I was off that day and I flicked on Sky out of curiosity, I am a bloke and I hate weddings but I ended up watching the whole thing.

There is something compelling about the real Truman show type soap opera which is the British royal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

But did you watch the royal wedding, bet you did, or the highlights.

Nope. No watching, no highlights, no pictures, no nothing.

The only thing i even really read about it was an article on the implementation of emergency stop and search laws for the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

citizens of the UK, so they don't count.

later10 wrote: »
    Plenty; the royal family undoubtedly generates revenue for the British exchequer - it is a net contributor, but only in a passive way.

The Royal family brings in money because people are fascinated by their immense privilege, not by their selfless commitment.

Anyway, the argument is not about British Republicanism, but about the idea of bestowing a gift like this to the monarch. The lavishness of the planned jubilee celebrations just defies logic.

The cost of a new yacht's going to be chickenfeed compared to that.:eek:

If I was British I would resent this, this is not the time for extravagance for any public official. Here Enda wont even allow his ministers to use the government jet.

Besides if she wants a boat she has the dosh, if she wanted a cruise ship she would still have the dosh. Its a very wealthy institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »
    they could move south if it offends them so much. Like Gerry.

No Shinners fan, but I'd take him ahead of that fcuker and all she represents anyday.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Besides if she wants a boat she has the dosh, if she wanted a cruise ship she would still have the dosh. Its a very wealthy institution.

She can have the one off Giglio the stupid bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Considering the size and the state of our economy we're spending a lavish amount on TD and public sector pensions. I don't see the British tax payer getting upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Considering the size and the state of our economy we're spending a lavish amount on TD and public sector pensions. I don't see the British tax payer getting upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Probably about the same as France's monarchy does for France.

The french have a monarchy?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Freddie59 wrote: »
    No Shinners fan, but I'd take him ahead of that fcuker and all she represents anyday.:mad:

You would take the man who runs around Derry in a balaclava whilst wielding a machine gun (more than likely one of his lesser crimes) over one of the most most respected heads of state in the world?

Tell me, what is it you so despise about what she stands for? As the head of state of a constitutional monarchy she has never expressed political opinion. She brings stability to the United Kingdom, she ensures that politicians never have ultimate power, she serves and represents her people with dignity and grace across the globe, and she is hugely popular both at home and abroad for it.

I cannot wait for the Jubilee events. Just like the royal wedding and the Olympics we will see further celebrations of Britain's glorious past and modern successes.

Advertisement