Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony xperia z5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Bought one yesterday, what a delight.

Fantastic device so far.

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Bought it off contract, €649.99... :pac:

A new job with a fat paycheck can do wonders ;)

I think I will need to get a case soon though, the screen looks too nice and I'm scared it'll get damaged/dirty soon. Also, despite being a pretty sturdy phone it feels very slippery when holding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Bought it off contract, €649.99... :pac:

A new job with a fat paycheck can do wonders ;)

I think I will need to get a case soon though, the screen looks too nice and I'm scared it'll get damaged/dirty soon. Also, despite being a pretty sturdy phone it feels very slippery when holding it.

Got this case and it's nice; it's semi transparent so you can still see the Sony logo and it feels grippy. It's not that cheap rubbery material you get on some cheaper cases so it's not attracting hair or dust. And it's a nice fit.

By the way, anyone with a three handset after getting the latest firmware update? Released 29/10 and addresses stagefright bugs, improves camera loading and shot to shot speed, heat management improvements etc. No sign here yet.

Cheers, that does look nice but I'm more of a fan for cases that I can sort of stand up, since I often use my phone(s) to watch Netflix, movies,... when in bed.

Something like this is what I'm getting I think.

Really happy with the battery life so far, I know it's early but I was playing a pretty graphics intensive game this morning for an hour or two, and it only dropped about 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Can you install Antutu and let us know what score it gets. Maybe run it twice, just to see if the phone throttles the cpu when getting warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Got this case and it's nice; it's semi transparent so you can still see the Sony logo and it feels grippy. It's not that cheap rubbery material you get on some cheaper cases so it's not attracting hair or dust. And it's a nice fit.

By the way, anyone with a three handset after getting the latest firmware update? Released 29/10 and addresses stagefright bugs, improves camera loading and shot to shot speed, heat management improvements etc. No sign here yet.

I updated mine yesterday you dont have to wait for your network to send you the update,you can do it yourself via Sony bridge for Mac or PC companion,Sony actually sent me an email about the update.

http://support.sonymobile.com/au/tools/pc-companion/

http://support.sonymobile.com/au/tools/bridge-for-mac/

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I am due an upgrade and considering upgrading from my current HTC M8 to Sony xperia Z5.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Can you install Antutu and let us know what score it gets. Maybe run it twice, just to see if the phone throttles the cpu when getting warm.

I did it once, I'll see if maybe I can do another one when it's fully charged.

51eeWtq.png?1

The only thing I noticed is that it tends to get warm near the top of the device, around the camera and the logo, but it never gets so hot that it becomes impossible to carry.

Cheers. Thanks.

Actually 2 in a row would be great. I'm trying to gauge how much the cpu throttles down when under stress and 2 runs might show this.

Very well ;)

8N8ebgf.png?1

b5WNlyd.png?1

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I thought it would actually score 10k higher going by benchmarks on youtube, but no matter.

Yeah, it's weird since a lot of videos showed 60k on average.

I tried it just now at work where I have no network connection and it got me up to 60k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

How much of an upgrade on the Z3 is this phone?

Still happy with my Z3 & it's performing well a year on........

But getting that itch to upgrade!

How much of an upgrade on the Z3 is this phone?

Still happy with my Z3 & it's performing well a year on........

But getting that itch to upgrade!

You're getting the fingerprint scanner, which is a big upgrade, but I believe the battery life is a downgrade from the Z3.. It's still good, but not 2-day good. No flap on the microusb port, faster (but warmer!) processor and a potentially better camera. I'd say it's a close one, and personally if coming from a year-old phone I would be keeping one eye on the horizon for a possible z6 with a snapdragon 820 and more efficient battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads, do Sony plan to continue to bring out a new model each year?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lads, do Sony plan to continue to bring out a new model each year?

They usually bring out a new flagship every 8 months or so although recent chatter suggests they may slow this a bit. Hard to tell at the moment as the mobile division in Sony is still losing money and is undergoing a restructuring.

In other news an update has rolled out to the Z5 for Three customers today, improving camera launch times, battery management, heat management etc

They usually bring out a new flagship every 8 months or so although recent chatter suggests they may slow this a bit. Hard to tell at the moment as the mobile division in Sony is still losing money and is undergoing a restructuring.

In other news an update has rolled out to the Z5 for Three customers today, improving camera launch times, battery management, heat management etc

Yep, and I have to say that the update did indeed help with the heat management. Been playing Fifa 16 for about an hour and there's a definite improvement.

Haven't checked if there's a significant difference in the camera yet.

Got a lot of use out of the camera the other night and the update really improves the launch time of the camera app and the reliability of the camera hardware button (ie beforehand it was hit or miss whether holding the camera hardware button would actually do anything). Viewing the cameraroll from the app is also much quicker.

The phone is also a lot cooler when I get it back from my kids playing games on there.

It wasn't laggy before and it isn't laggy now.

Nice update.

Has anyone switched from a HTC M8/M9 to the Sony Xperia Z5, just looking for a few opinions and if they are happy since changing? I am still undecided about upgrading my current HTC M8 to the Z5.

I actually switched from an M8. I love it as previously said, especially the camera is a massive difference. I walked around Cork this weekend just making pictures, and they all turn out great. My M8 had a ****ty camera where only in the best circumstances I could make decent pictures, as soon as it gets a bit dark or the lighting isn't great they turned out pretty bad.

Regarding speed it's also a big improvement.

I found the switch really easy, just turn on NFC on both devices and your contacts, pictures,... (everything on the internal memory I think) will get transferred.

• Advertisement

I actually switched from an M8. I love it as previously said, especially the camera is a massive difference. I walked around Cork this weekend just making pictures, and they all turn out great. My M8 had a ****ty camera where only in the best circumstances I could make decent pictures, as soon as it gets a bit dark or the lighting isn't great they turned out pretty bad.

Regarding speed it's also a big improvement.

I found the switch really easy, just turn on NFC on both devices and your contacts, pictures,... (everything on the internal memory I think) will get transferred.

What about the sound quality for listening to music? A lot reviews online all suggest HTC still has better quality speakers?

True, I don't actually use it to listen to music (for that I use my headphones) but when I'm watching a movie on it or a YouTube video it's clear that the One M8's front facing speakers and Boomsound are superior. When I use headphones I don't really notice much difference, if any.

But it's by no means bad sound quality on the Z5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Thinking of buying a sony z5 compact but I am looking for suggestions for some good cases as I as normally not that careful with my phones. Im using otterbox at the the moment as I find it to be a good case.

Has anyone tried casemate cases or does anybody have a recommendation for a really good solid case for this phone.

Cant imagine that repairing the screen on this phone would be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

On the xda forum there are reviews of cases.
    I have an orzly case I got from amazon and it offers good protection without making it too bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Got my z5 premium yesterday and so far very impressed with it coming from a 6 plus I was worried I wouldn't like it but so far so good.

The only slight gripe I'd have so far is the plastic volume and camera buttons a bit out of place on a premium device. today is my first full day with it so will see how the battery fairs.

The screen is excellent in it the colours arent over saturated like I've seen on other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

F34 wrote: »
    Got my z5 premium yesterday and so far very impressed with it coming from a 6 plus I was worried I wouldn't like it but so far so good.

The only slight gripe I'd have so far is the plastic volume and camera buttons a bit out of place on a premium device. today is my first full day with it so will see how the battery fairs.

The screen is excellent in it the colours arent over saturated like I've seen on other phones.

Hey where did you get the Z5 Premium from? I cant find any Irish carrier that stock the Z5 Premium?

DylanK wrote: »
    Hey where did you get the Z5 Premium from? I cant find any Irish carrier that stock the Z5 Premium?

I ordered from Clove, amazon may have been cheaper but I was in a rush for a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

F34 wrote: »
    I ordered from Clove, amazon may have been cheaper but I was in a rush for a new phone.

Cheers for reply. Thought you got it off one of those Irish carrier.

DylanK wrote: »
    Cheers for reply. Thought you got it off one of those Irish carrier.

No sorry can't see any of them choosing to carry it tbh although I could be surprised yet.

• Advertisement

Max Lee is doing a live stream on YouTube now. Interestingly he can't view 4k videos in 4k. Highest option is 1080p. So does this mean no support for 4k steaming ?

Advertisement