Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony xperia z5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Don't really see the point of a 4k display on such a small screen

Finger print reader is good but they seem to be trailing other manufacturers with features like that

Wonder is it a fragile as previous z models and fix camera issues

Not a huge update from z3 by the look of it, little bit faster, better screen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What happened the z4?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

What happened the z4?

Z4 was Japan. Rest of the world got the z4 under the name Z3+

Testament1 wrote: »
    Z4 was Japan. Rest of the world got the z4 under the name Z3+

Super marketing there from Sony yet again!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Don't really see the point of a 4k display on such a small screen

Finger print reader is good but they seem to be trailing other manufacturers with features like that

Wonder is it a fragile as previous z models and fix camera issues

Not a huge update from z3 by the look of it, little bit faster, better screen

The same as other manufacturers no giant leaps, but at least it is going forward unlike Samsung which is removing features, the Note 3 is basically the same as Note 5 with more extras. Never had any issues with Z2 or Z3. Will definitely be getting it over any of the other phones coming out. Unless they take away SD Card of course.
    Super marketing there from Sony yet again!

Don't know what they were thinking there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

Has a micro SD slot. Major plus for me.

Camera looks excellent too.

w w w . xperiablog.net /2015/09/02/sony-xperia-z5/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

€549 for Z5 Compact.
    €699 for Z5.
    €799 for Z5 Premium.

Battery is smaller than the smart ultra 6?? With a 4k screen.....

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No sign of the magnetic charging port. Sad to see it gone but I'm glad now I put off getting the Sony Car radio that has the docking port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Sound good to me. If the battery is as good in the premium as in the Z3 dispite the 4k screen I will definitely get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The SOC in the z3+ received scathing reviews over major overheating and throttling issues. Far worse than the M9. I wonder will they get a handle on this for the z5. Also don't see point of going over 1080p on small mobile devices especially with so little ultra HD content out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I really like the look and specs of this especially compared to my S6 edge. Battery life is c*ap along with ram management. The downside as present is the 810. They should have waited until January 2016 for the 820!

1jcdub wrote: »
    I really like the look and specs of this especially compared to my S6 edge. Battery life is c*ap along with ram management. The downside as present is the 810. They should have waited until January 2016 for the 820!

Getting about the same battery life on the S6 edge as my IP6, and so far I have not been able to replicate the ram management issue on the S6 either. Maybe it was fixed recently ?

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/06/20/the-ram-management-issue-on-the-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-might-be-a-feature/

Will have to wait and see how they fair with the 810. Surely it will be new iteration and not just the same one that shipped in the Z3+.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

A tear down of the z5 has shown a double heat pipe and extra thermal paste applied to cool the 810. By early accounts it looks to have done the trick,earlyreports on YouTube from btekt seem to be fairly positive thus far.. He managed to record over 10mins straight of 4k footage with no overheating.

It's looking good but I'm still worried about the camera actually being as good as they claim and the main issue for me is sonys notorious low volume issue through headphones.. That's make or break for me.

Edit with link: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium_teardown_reveals_a_dual_heat_pipe-news-13865.php

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Any idea when this might be released in Ireland and if any networks are going to carry it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I really don't get why they put a 4k screen in it. Sure the marketing sounds great however as screen is the main reason for battery drain if they kept the screen to standard HD they could possibly have stretched the battery to an additional day or at least half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I really don't get why they put a 4k screen in it. Sure the marketing sounds great however as screen is the main reason for battery drain if they kept the screen to standard HD they could possibly have stretched the battery to an additional day or at least half.

There's a Z5 and Z5 premium, the standard Z5 has a 1080p display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Half considering one of these (standard Z5).
    However I'm thinking that the snapdragon 810, although fast and possibly no more heat issues, is getting s bit old in the tooth especially when the 820 is on the horizon. That's the main thing putting me off.

When is the next iteration of Sony Z with the 820 due....March? Could there be a 6" plus with 820 coming early 2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

biebiebie wrote: »
    Half considering one of these (standard Z5).
    However I'm thinking that the snapdragon 810, although fast and possibly no more heat issues, is getting s bit old in the tooth especially when the 820 is on the horizon. That's the main thing putting me off.

When is the next iteration of Sony Z with the 820 due....March? Could there be a 6" plus with 820 coming early 2016?

First 820 devices are due to land Q2 2016. Is the 810 too old? In a word no. Unless you are doing something seriously processor intensive (which you may well be doing) then you shouldn't even stretch the 810. I've edited 4k video on my Z3C which is the 801 and it didn't skip a beat. So unless you're doing something like wireless streaming 4k video then you're not likely to see any performance difference between the 810 and 820.

Looks like the premium will be 4k on video and photos only and not the UI. Makes sense i guess.
    So the UI and gaming will be 1080p while the like of the G4 and S6 upscale to 1440p.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sonys-xperia-z5-premium-only-renders-media-4k-drops-rest-1080p-increased-battery-life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Apparently it's being released exclusively by Vodafone today. Anyone any idea on prices? Their website doesn't say anything about price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

Just had a look there. Still not on sale on Vodafone. You can register your interest though!

They're offering a free Sony Smartband Talk with when you do register. Obviously first come, first serve with the smartband.

I wouldn't be going back to Vodafone anyway, but would be interested in the phone nonetheless. Their price plans are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I just seen the phone is up on some of Sony's European sites for pre-order.

€699 for the Standard.

€799 for the Premium.

I think the Chrome colour looks the best.

Now all we need is the Irish Site to over pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

How long would an exclusivity deal like the one with Vodafone usually last?

Like the look of this phone but don't like the look of Vodafone's price plans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I just pulled the plug and ordered one from Vodafone,should have it Monday.

Well did your Z5 arrive ? It's supposed to even beat out the S6 according to DXO, and has a very good zoom mode and is able to take pics of stuff in motion without blurring.

But...reports in about the Z5 compact overheating. I wonder does this have the thermal paste and heatpipes that the Z5 promises to have.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/10/xperia-z5-compact-overheating/

Nope not yet i thought there would be a delay due to the An Post strike because according to Vodafones site they deliver for them,but i rang this morning and i was told it will be sent via a courier company and it had already dispatched so should have it in the morning.

Yeah DXO have given it a great review best camera on the market to date,i had heating issues with a Z3 but it wasn't anything major so lets hope it doesn't continue with the Z5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Nope not yet i thought there would be a delay due to the An Post strike because according to Vodafones site they deliver for them,but i rang this morning and i was told it will be sent via a courier company and it had already dispatched so should have it in the morning.

Yeah DXO have given it a great review best camera on the market to date,i had heating issues with a Z3 but it wasn't anything major so lets hope it doesn't continue with the Z5!

Did you receive yours? They're telling me they haven't shipped yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

A I missing something with Vodafone? All I see is the Z5 Spectre, which is only on pre-order right now. How exactly are people saying they'll have theirs delivered this week?

• Advertisement

Did you receive yours? They're telling me they haven't shipped yet

Still havent got it and i was onto them via live chat earlier and they told me its in the packaging stage ,yesterday they told me it had dispatched!

Advertisement