Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accomadation in carlow?

• 24-07-2008 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if its really hard to get accomadation in Carlow? Is it too late to start looking now or should I wait until the LC results are out? Any help will be greatfully appreciated :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

its not all that hard. Are you definately coming to carlow?
    You'd probably find it easier to get accom. before the LC results come out.

Ring the accomodations office in IT Carlow, they will have a list of available student accomodation. Details below courtesy of www.itcarlow.ie

Liz McEvoy
    Accommodation Officer
    Institute of Technology Carlow Kilkenny Road Carlow

Tel: 059 9170436
    Email: liz.mcevoy@itcarlow.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Yeah I'm Very certain that ill be goin so i suppose I should get me act together ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

got mine 3 days before the term started but it wasn't the greatest. What kind of accomodation are you looking for? might be able to point you in a better direction then?

Im not exactly sure! Shud i go digs or wat for the first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,117 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

erm depends. how badly do you want independence? if youre totally unmotivated about it go for digs. otherwise go enjoy self catering and get hammered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

A7x if yiu need a place just buzz me I know someone looking for a flat mate very nice person like aslong as you don't be coming home pissed :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd definatly recommend getting a house/flat anyway. Get a room in Southern Gardens, and you'll have a laugh. Lived there for two years, and enjoyed both years. Also stayed in Millbrook apartments, and Burrin Street.

oh yeah, anyone looking for a room occupant, im in the market.

A7X wrote: »
    Im not exactly sure! Shud i go digs or wat for the first year?

I went for a digs in first year and for the first while it was grand but when i realised i couldn't bring people in, couldn't come and go as i please, couldn't eat what i wanted for dinner, it started to get on my nerves. I'd recommend getting your own place but only if you're
    A) able to cook or
    B) living with someone who does know how to cook

Thanks for all the replies guys! I dnt think Im gonna go for digs but sure well see anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

No rush what course will you be doing?

avionics hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I'm in a similar situation, have applied for the aircraft systems degree and will hopefully be moving down to Carlow in September. In fact, I was thinking of starting a thread asking if anyone wanted to go in on some accommodation... seems A7X got there before me :)

Some of the estates and such around the town look decent enough and the rental rates that I'm seeing up on daft.ie are a bargain compared to the big smoke. If anyone else is thinking along the same lines, drop me a pm.

Overheal wrote: »
    oh yeah, anyone looking for a room occupant, im in the market.
    scratch that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 shabby

I heard carraig abhainn student houses are single sex, is southern gardens also same sex only in each house?!

shabby wrote: »
    I heard carraig abhainn student houses are single sex, is southern gardens also same sex only in each house?!

That's not strictly true. while carraig abhainn houses are USUALLY single sex, they aren't confined to it. Southern gardens are all privately owned houses so the sex of the occupants is down to the landlord. Most of them in southern gardens don't care

looks like im getting a room in the Riverbank apartments! I was wondering if anyone has stayed here before or know what its like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

im looking for somewhere too for next year..

Do those apartments have internet access? are ports blocked off etc? Do you no any range of houses that provide dsl or cable? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭offaly4sam

looks like im getting a room in the Riverbank apartments! I was wondering if anyone has stayed here before or know what its like?

Do not live there,trust me. A friend of mine lived there last year. Its like a prison. Big gates and all high tech security. Live in southern gardens,green road or carraig abhainn.

See what offaly4sam said, my mates stayed there when it was brand new, and it still wasn't great. Maybe for a first year getting used to living on your own for the first time but they have patrols, you aren't allowed bring people to your place etc. You'd be better off getting a house in college green or southern gardens if you can swing it. better experience ;)
    nuxxx wrote: »
    im looking for somewhere too for next year..

Do those apartments have internet access? are ports blocked off etc? Do you no any range of houses that provide dsl or cable? Thanks.

the apartments do but they all share the same bandwidth and if your staying while guys on the networking courses are there, prepare for snail paced access :D digiweb aren't too bad in carlow if you need access.
    offaly4sam wrote: »
    Do not live there,trust me. A friend of mine lived there last year. Its like a prison. Big gates and all high tech security. Live in southern gardens,green road or carraig abhainn.

This man speakth the truth!

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    See what offaly4sam said, my mates stayed there when it was brand new, and it still wasn't great. Maybe for a first year getting used to living on your own for the first time but they have patrols, you aren't allowed bring people to your place etc. You'd be better off getting a house in college green or southern gardens if you can swing it. better experience ;)

the apartments do but they all share the same bandwidth and if your staying while guys on the networking courses are there, prepare for snail paced access :D digiweb aren't too bad in carlow if you need access.

This man speakth the truth!
    Really? =/ I knew I shouldn't of asked! Ive sent the application and everything now :( is it really that bad?

It's not terrible, the houses themselves are actually pretty good from what i can remember, and in general, maintance etc is good. The bit that threw me off was the fact that people couldn't spend the night etc. If mates go to visit you and you go out on the tear, they have someone on the gate to make sure only residents get back in. THATS why its crap.

If this isn't an issue, go for it. but keep your eyes open, they are used to people sending in applications and then saying they found somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I lived in the riverbank a couple of years ago, I'd strongly advise against it. Southern Gardens, College Green or the Green Road are far better options.

I lived in the riverbank a couple of years ago, I'd strongly advise against it. Southern Gardens, College Green or the Green Road are far better options.
    Can you give ur reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

College Green is where it's at yo!
    PPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Can you give ur reasons?

Its like prison. They have a security guard and u cant realy have friends up b4 ya go out. Its just too strict realy. Any of the estates would be better,you have mre freedom and more importantly more crack as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

Yeah Southern Gardens, College Green, Green road and if you have a car or dont mind a 15 minute walk millbrook are all good student areas to live in.

Just be carefull if you get a house in Southern Gardens, there is one particular landlord who is/was also a lecturer in the college who owns a lot of houses in the area that is well known as being an arragant b*ll*cks, letting himself into houses at all hours of the night claiming "its my house i can do what i want" etc...... Cant say names but i think hes the only landlord in Southern Gardens that owns over 4 houses. I lived in one of his houses before and would never do it again.

master-d wrote: »
    Yeah Southern Gardens, College Green, Green road and if you have a car or dont mind a 15 minute walk millbrook are all good student areas to live in.

Just be carefull if you get a house in Southern Gardens, there is one particular landlord who is/was also a lecturer in the college who owns a lot of houses in the area that is well known as being an arragant b*ll*cks, letting himself into houses at all hours of the night claiming "its my house i can do what i want" etc...... Cant say names but i think hes the only landlord in Southern Gardens that owns over 4 houses. I lived in one of his houses before and would never do it again.

O i know who your on about lucky i didnt get a house under him last year. I remember he kicked a group outa a house in may this year just before the exams and one morning goin to college ther was a big banner across from southern gardens on the light poles saying how much of a **** he was...was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

offaly4sam wrote: »
    Its like prison. They have a security guard and u cant realy have friends up b4 ya go out. Its just too strict realy. Any of the estates would be better,you have mre freedom and more importantly more crack as well :D

These reasons, altough it wasn't that strict when i lived there.

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    It's not terrible, the houses themselves are actually pretty good from what i can remember, and in general, maintance etc is good. The bit that threw me off was the fact that people couldn't spend the night etc. If mates go to visit you and you go out on the tear, they have someone on the gate to make sure only residents get back in. THATS why its crap.

If this isn't an issue, go for it. but keep your eyes open, they are used to people sending in applications and then saying they found somewhere else.

From my recollection noise is an issue: you can hear your neighbours and they can hear you. If someones watching TV with their window open on floor 4 you can hear it way down the column on floor 2. If theres someone having a ride above you - well yeah. The rooms are relatively small but not bad. The Kitchen/Sitting Room is a sad joke and really says a lot for your no party rule: you would hardly want to hold one in your little kitchen-box anyway. The kitchen furnishings are pathetic.

As for the broadband thats the very issue I registered on boards for: They advertised unlimited broadband yet they block all the ports: Meaning anything outside of web browsing and instant messengers is off limits: You cant even get to blackboard, ITCarlows intraweb pages. And good luck playing any games over the connection: Its Just Not Possible. Same goes with Skype or any other Voice Over IP Application. I've tried them all. The best I accomplished was downloading video files from VEOH and other similar sites. And at that the speed is nothing to sing about.

As for the view you see on the website? a lie in my experience, I got a room that stared into another wall of the building, it was always dark, always depressing. But that only affects about 8 bedrooms in the entire complex: everyone else seemed to have a great ****ing view. The *****.

The one big Pro of the aprtments are that on average you will only have 1 other flat mate and you each have your own bathrooms, so the only things you really have left to argue about are dishes but the good news is you know exactly whodunnit if it wasnt you. And they're relatively easy to keep warm in during the winter compared to other accoms I lived in: your room size and the space heater in it..oh my god, I spoiled myself on that thing. My room was constantly 28 C during christmas :) and of course its right in town, which saves you an otherwise 20-30 minute trek from most other living spaces. Its still 15 from College, but thats the average.

Honestly though, try and find somewhere else. Southern Gardens looks grand. Theres also those new flats by the river: What were they called Red? I cant remember. I know Liam lived in them with Jeff. Those Apartments were great from what I saw.

Advertisement