Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Egg a day, ok?

• 06-03-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I have the same breakfast 7 days a week. Consists of a home made pancake type thing cooked on a health grill. It consists of the following:

20g porridge oats
    1 mashed banana
    1 whole egg
    1 egg white
    1/4 teaspoon maple syrup

I only recently began to wonder is an egg a day ok, or can it lead to early heart disease etc..I've googled it and all the articles I read are conflicting each other. What do the experts here think?

Thanks

Edit: A quote from one article I read that made me take notice:

Where as another article suggested that an egg a day is ok, and the good fats/nutrients counter act the bad ones:
    It is conceivable, they write, that the small adverse effect of an egg on "bad" cholesterol is counterbalanced by potential beneficial effects on "good" cholesterol, and by other nutrients including antioxidants, folate, and unsaturated fat.
    .. and..
    Harvard researchers have unscrambled the egg's rotten reputation among hard-boiled cholesterol watchers: eating an egg a day does not increase the risk of heart disease or stroke, they say.
    confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I have the same breakfast 7 days a week. Consists of a home made pancake type thing cooked on a health grill. It consists of the following:

20g porridge oats
    1 mashed banana
    1 whole egg
    1 egg white
    1/4 teaspoon maple syrup

I only recently began to wonder is an egg a day ok, or can it lead to early heart disease etc..I've googled it and all the articles I read are conflicting each other. What do the experts here think?

Thanks

Edit: A quote from one article I read that made me take notice:

Where as another article suggested that an egg a day is ok, and the good fats/nutrients counter act the bad ones: .. and..confused.
    Eat the egg it's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

All you have to do is look at what you've quoted

dailymail or Harvard researchers.

Have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091&page=5

and a search around here there was a few good threads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I have 4-5 eggs per day after lots of research that would suggest it is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I eat 10-12 eggs a week,sometimes 3 in one sitting........beats fast food all day long no matter what you read on the net or in papers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seven or more eggs a week increases chances of death by nearly a quarter

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1oKgMHtxk

So there's a 125% chance you're going to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stark wrote: »
    So there's a 125% chance you're going to die.

Seems like i am at risk then...........

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Eggs are just fine, have as many as you like. It's very hard to go overboard on eggs as you get sick of them very quickly if you have a lot. They are also exceptionally filling for their calories.

The reason the evidence is so contradictory is that it's not very good evidence to begin with. It's observational so it can never ever ever prove anything. There are thousands of things called 'confounding factors' which are other attributes of study participants that the researchers can't account for. If you ever read the papers they would never dream of saying that it proves eggs are bad. They would get laughed out of peer review for saying so. Newspaper articles, (even such a fine publication as the daily mail;)) has no such quality control.

A good illustration of what to keep in mind when reading anything about science in mainstream media:

phd051809s.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

cojomo2 wrote: »

Thanks

I have a mild heart condition and I've been told I can eat all the eggs I want but go easy on the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

obplayer wrote: »
    I have a mild heart condition and I've been told I can eat all the eggs I want but go easy on the cheese.

Why easy on the cheese?

Orla K wrote: »
    Why easy on the cheese?

More bad cholestrol apparently.

• Advertisement

More bad cholestrol apparently.
    I'm calling bull**** on that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Dailymail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

i eat 6 whole eggs everyday and my ldl and hdl are in great ranges.

stop listening to propaganda about eggs.the only fats you should be concerned about are hydrogenated fats.saturated fats are good for you.

Transform wrote: »
    I'm calling bull**** on that

Fair enough, I'll inform my cardiologist and the hospital dietician, I'm sure they will be fascinated by your opinion. They may even offer you a job!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Fair enough, I'll inform my cardiologist and the hospital dietician, I'm sure they will be fascinated by your opinion. They may even offer you a job!:pac:

I think Transform is pretty happy with the job he has :D

I'd love to eat more eggs but I find them very sickening after awhile.

I think Transform is pretty happy with the job he has :D

I'd love to eat more eggs but I find them very sickening after awhile.
    Yes have best job in the world!!!

It's a flippin disgrace that I have a better grasp of cholesterol than some (there are plenty of clients of mine that are doctors who are well versed in what i recommend and even they are fighting an uphill battle against the statin train) of the so called experts.

Start here if you want a better understanding and please read more it might just help you look and feel your best

http://chriskresser.com/i-have-high-cholesterol-and-i-dont-care

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

It's a flippin disgrace that I have a better grasp of cholesterol than some (there are plenty of clients of mine that are doctors who are well versed in what i recommend and even they are fighting an uphill battle against the statin train) of the so called experts.

Start here if you want a better understanding and please read more it might just help you look and feel your best

agreed, i've had so many fights with doctors and dieticians over this and other nonsense.
    it seems like they are unwilling to learn anything they didn't cover in university, so much for continuous improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Depending on the cheese, your doc may be right.

It's much safer to just tell you eggs are grand as there is only one type of egg you're likely to be eating.

There is still massive amounts of fat in many cheeses remember, which leads cholesterol creation in your body....unlike the cholesterol in eggs which does not affect the blood stream.

Of course there is still a lot of fat in eggs, so eating LOADS of eggs can actually increase cholesterol, but it's not because of the actual cholesterol content. /amateur opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Total cholesterol values are somewhat meaningless without the context of HDL/LDL ratio and total TAG values.

• Advertisement

Lanaier wrote: »
    Of course there is still a lot of fat in eggs, so eating LOADS of eggs can actually increase cholesterol, but it's not because of the actual cholesterol content. /amateur opinion.
    Christ dude you haven't a clue what you are talking about!

Christ dude you haven't a clue what you are talking about!

Yes I'm not the most clued in on the subject.
    Enlighten me as to what was incorrect.

Lanaier wrote: »
    Yes I'm not the most clued in on the subject.
    Enlighten me as to what was incorrect.
    Did you read and watch the link I provided. Above?

A lot of what is proposed in the videos is true, but the source isn't great. There's an awful smell of alternative medicine nonsense and anti-science on his other pages.

Did you read and watch the link I provided. Above?

Would that be a "no"?

Can you explain it or not? :confused:
    Like I say, I'm no expert :)

Explain what part of what I said was incorrect please, thank you.

Sorry but I haven't had a chance to read your link yet.
    I can link things into oblivion, if you have a point to make, kindly make it rather than linking someone else's explanation.

Thanks again.

Couldn't be arsed dude when you don't even understand the basics of why the lipid hypothesis is false ala ancel keys and his 7 countries study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

F**k this I'm off to buy some eggs and cheese. Omelette anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

get some sun dried tomatoes in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thomas Magnum

Couldn't be arsed dude when you don't even understand the basics of why the lipid hypothesis is false ala ancel keys and his 7 countries study.

Charming. A poster asked you to explain something and you "couldn't be arsed".

Regarding Ancel Keys' 7 country study, what's wrong with it?

• Advertisement

Charming. A poster asked you to explain something and you "couldn't be arsed".

Regarding Ancel Keys' 7 country study, what's wrong with it?

Reporting and selection bias, mostly.

Advertisement