Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin 500 Questions

• 31-03-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭

New Garmin user and three things I am not sure about.

1. Do you have to press the start button when setting off or can it be set to just auto start when it sees movement? It prompts to click start (which I do) but if you don't is the ride recorded?

2. When you stop for a long time during a long cycle for say lunch do you need to click stop. Then when going again do you need to hit start?

3. If I want to record two separate spins in same day how do you close out the first one and start the second? I notice the two are always listed as a single activity.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Howarya

1. lock onto the satellite and press start, if you have autopause on and dont move immediately it'll pause the timer till you get rolling. i think you need to manually start it alright otherwise you'll continually be prompted to do so

2. i usually manually stop the timer and go have my coffee break, start up again after - though i presume the autopause works in the same way fine. (correct me if im wrong someone)

3. two spins in one day, end one spin and hold down the bottom right button to log the data, then start a separate spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Don't mean to be rude but it would really be worth your time to RTFM! There are so many useful features on the 500, it's a shame not to become familiar with them!
    1) Yes you need to press start but, depending on how you set it up, it will "auto pause" when you stop.
    2) At the end of the spin press stop.
    3) If you want to record a seperate ride before you download the information then you need to press and hold the "reset" button (after first pressing stop).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks everyone.

PS: I did read the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

PS: I did read the manual.

i also read the manual but i am a bit of a thick so and so .

couple of questions, 1) do you have to have strava premium to upload stuff from the garmin 500, and if not could some explain to me how to do it in very very baby steps please because its cracking me up trying to do it, thanks

listrybabe wrote: »

couple of questions, 1) do you have to have strava premium to upload stuff from the garmin 500, and if not could some explain to me how to do it in very very baby steps please because its cracking me up trying to do it, thanks

open up your garmin connect page when you plug in your 500,

while your at it log into strava (normal will do, i dont have premium either)

- i usually upload my data to connect first, then over to strava where i hit the upload button on the top left and it recognises my garmin and uploads any new activities. click on whatever activities you want to upload to the page (i dont bother with turbo sessions for instance) done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

listrybabe wrote: »

You don't need Strava Premium to upload form a garmin 500. You do need to connect the unit to the pc by cable for the data transfer though. I can't remember the exact sequence for the initial set up, try the help section on the strava website, but after the first time, it will then pick up your Garmin each time you hit Upload.

Sorry I'm not any more help, it's a while since I set it up and haven't needed to change anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

open up your garmin connect page when you plug in your 500,

while your at it log into strava (normal will do, i dont have premium either)

- i usually upload my data to connect first, then over to strava where i hit the upload button on the top left and it recognises my garmin and uploads any new activities. click on whatever activities you want to upload to the page (i dont bother with turbo sessions for instance) done.

thank you , you saved me going la la even tho some would say i pretty much am anyway, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Have u tried youtube?

http://youtu.be/ZiTloso0Gl0

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BailMeOut wrote: »
    2. When you stop for a long time during a long cycle for say lunch do you need to click stop. Then when going again do you need to hit start?
    2. i usually manually stop the timer and go have my coffee break, start up again after - though i presume the autopause works in the same way fine. (correct me if im wrong someone)
    I always stop the timer and switch the unit off when stopping for a break.

If the timer isn't stopped, would I be correct in assuming average speed would be affected(even if it's on auto pause)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

If the timer isn't stopped, would I be correct in assuming average speed would be affected(even if it's on auto pause)?

No - as long a it's on Auto Pause, Average Speed will not be affected when you stop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the timer doesn't stop then it will affect your average speed. Auto pause will look after this for you.

As I learnt from my recent thread here, if you use auto pause then you will get 3 times - elapsed (total time), moving time and time. When the auto pause is set you must indicate the speed at which auto pause engages. I'm not sure what the default value is but it can be changed to suit yourself.

I've Garmin 200 which doesn't start when movement is detected but it does ask if you want to start recording.

Ive auto pause set to "on when stopped"

No need to press the stop button when stopping for a break.

Press the start button at the start of a spin, and then press the stop button when i get home. The Garmin does the rest.

I'm puzzled now! A couple of months back I was on a 200km+ cycle, much of it in unknown territory. Half way up a climb I stopped to 'drain the spuds'. I then had a banana, a drink etc. before saddling up again. There was a Strava segment on the climb (of which I was unaware) where I stopped and I finished last with an average in single figures. I presumed it was because the Garmin was running. Should autopause not have worked then?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've had trouble with the autopause when the garmin doesn't have a strong signal. It will read crazy readings around you vicinity until you get moving again. This could definitely have been user error however, so perhaps I'm not adding much to this discussion!

Autopause will work if its switched on.

I have the 810.
    Settings/activity profile/auto paused. Set accordingly.

500 should be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I've had trouble with the autopause when the garmin doesn't have a strong signal. It will read crazy readings around you vicinity until you get moving again. This could definitely have been user error however, so perhaps I'm not adding much to this discussion!

I believe this will not be an issue if you have the cadence and wheel sensors since movement is detected by wheel spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm puzzled now! A couple of months back I was on a 200km+ cycle, much of it in unknown territory. Half way up a climb I stopped to 'drain the spuds'. I then had a banana, a drink etc. before saddling up again. There was a Strava segment on the climb (of which I was unaware) where I stopped and I finished last with an average in single figures. I presumed it was because the Garmin was running. Should autopause not have worked then?

From my limited experience, Strava and Map My Ride don't seem to take 'Auto paused' time into account.

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I knew I smashed my previous time on the climb to Sally Gap but the segment didn't end for another 500m or so after the crossroads. I stopped to wait for a mate and as a result my time was +2 mins. That pissed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

That's the correct way it should work. With AutoPause set on, your time in Strava segments will still be based on total elapsed time, rather than moving time. Otherwise, you could do the first half of a segment at 10/10, stop for a coffee/break/sleep and then complete the second half of the segment at 10/10 and still achieve a great time...........that would hardly be fair now, would it? :D

The auto pause generally works fine but perhaps if signal is poor, it doesn't (as I don't use cadence sensor).

U need a cadence/speed sensor...get a heart rate strap and a power meter while ur at it! :)

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    That's the correct way it should work. With AutoPause set on, your time in Strava segments will still be based on total elapsed time, rather than moving time. Otherwise, you could do the first half of a segment at 10/10, stop for a coffee/break/sleep and then complete the second half of the segment at 10/10 and still achieve a great time...........that would hardly be fair now, would it? :D
    Ah, that makes sense alright! :)

Thanks.

The auto pause generally works fine but perhaps if signal is poor, it doesn't (as I don't use cadence sensor).

yeah i used to use a garmin running watch mounted on the bars as my bike comp and it would autopause whenever i got up out of the saddle and leaned over it, presumed my body was interfering with the signal. no such problem with the 500 + cadence sensor

Advertisement