Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inboard diesel or petrol engine wanted

Options
  • 19-07-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm looking for an inboard engine for a boat I have here. Would prefer a diesel one but would consider petrol. Looking for 250hp but again would consider upwards or downwards of 50hp on that. Anyone know of any lying around or in some shed?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If your looking for 250 hp your best bet would be a 5.7 V8 or something like a Volvo D4 the chances of finding a good one lying around are quite slim as they are well sort after and hold their money, even if you find one from a truck it will cost a few quid to convert it to marine.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AdamP

fergal.b wrote: »
    If your looking for 250 hp your best bet would be a 5.7 V8 or something like a Volvo D4 the chances of finding a good one lying around are quite slim as they are well sort after and hold their money, even if you find one from a truck it will cost a few quid to convert it to marine.:eek:

Cheers for the input. Even 200hp would prob do me. Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?

Adam

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thank you very much. Looks like I was searching under the wrong type of names.

Adam

What type of boat are you working on, Show us some photos :)

• Advertisement

What type of boat are you working on, Show us some photos :)

I haven't gotten the boat yet, was offered something bit needs work. Getting an engine is the hardest part tho so said I would see if it wasn't too hard to get before I commit. If and when I do, I'll certainly put up a few pics.

Thanks again for your help, if you stumble across anything else let me know. I would very much appreciate it..

Adam

The engine and gearbox ratio might depend on the hull type be it plaining or displacement, shaft drive or outdrive some boats will only go so fast no matter what engine you put in them :)

The engine and gearbox ratio might depend on the hull type be it plaining or displacement, shaft drive or outdrive some boats will only go so fast no matter what engine you put in them :)

Sorry, you are correct. It's an inboard shaft driven plaining boat. I will look into it some more. Once I do a bit more research I'll get back to you with the plan and idea.

Thank you very much for all your help. I have emailed this guy about the engine.

Thanks again,

Adam.

• Advertisement

Might be another option, same engine as I'm running and easy to get parts for. http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/volvo-penta-gm-chevy-v8-small-block-engine/7517076

Advertisement