Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a motor boat....

Options
  • 17-08-2014 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi Guys and ladies...

Looking for a bit of advice. My parents are looking for a motorboat for the shannon. Something around 40foot, with a flybridge.

Its been a long time since I have been on the shannon and wondered if you might know of good places / yards to look.
    We have searched on the usual websites apolloduck, donedeal, adverts.ie etc. But nothing has caught their eye.

They are hands on people, so a project to some degree might be of interest.

Anybody got any ideas???

Thank you in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Welcome Sadier32 your sort of looking for what I'm looking for so I'm not going to help you out :D Just kidding most marinas will have a sales office or notice board that you can look at boats. Apolloduck would be the best place to look as the big marinas post on it. How about this one http://motorboats.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=116475

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Hi Fergal, thanks for the reply. Well gives me confidence that my choice of boat isn`t bad if your looking for the same type. I saw that boat online before and dismissed it because of the possible engine issues. I am a deckee, so dont want to have to do too much with the engines.
    The other thing is that the boats I have seen online have big engines, which would be wasted cruising on the shannon and rivers, they would hardly ever be more then idle, except for a quick burn across the lakes.

Something you could maybe advise me on is the draft restrictions. My dad used to keep his boat before at Albert Lock, but its been awhile since we have been down there. Been on the sea sailing for the last number of years. I know the lakes would be fine, but the connecting rivers etc, I am guessing about a meter draft would be pretty much the limit???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could also try some of the hire companies they sometimes sell off their older boats but they tend to hold there price, depending on where you will be boating this should give you your draft http://www.iwai.ie/waterways.html

Thank you for the info Fergal. Much appreciated...
    The search continues....
    Have lined up a couple of boats to view this leave, so hopefully find something in the next couple of months....

Hi Fergal,
    I meant to ask is there any requirement for holding tanks on the shannon?
    I am looking for a boat with one fitted, but they are few and far between...

• Advertisement

Sadler32 wrote: »
    Hi Fergal,
    I meant to ask is there any requirement for holding tanks on the shannon?
    I am looking for a boat with one fitted, but they are few and far between...

I don't think there are any requirements for holding tanks down south "YET" maybe on hire boats and I think what puts people off is the lack of pump out stations or lack of working ones. Maybe one of the cruiser guys could help you out a bit more.

Advertisement