Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who to believe? (dentists)

Options
  • 20-08-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I went to 2 dentists here in Galway, one says my teeth are fine the other one says I need 3 fillings, who to believe!! does anyone personally know an honest dentist, maybe a relative or something? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Did the dentist show you the cavities on the X-rays or with a camera? You dont need blind faith, the need for cavities is visable on X-ray or in the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Mary, you may think this is about honesty, but it is more about opinion. No two opinions are exactly the same, that is why people often get second opinions.

When people come in to me for a second opinion, the first thing I say to them is that my opinion may or may not be the same as the previous one, but I base mine on my knowledge and experience.

Example 1.

A patient comes in to me for an opinion having been told she needs three fillings. There is no pain nor can she see/feel any cavities. I examine her teeth and note small dark areas of soft enamel on the biting surfaces of her teeth. I tell her that as they are very small, dark (arrested caries) and there has been no cavitation on X-ray, I advise leaving them for now and monitering on a 6 monthly basis.

Now, two different opinions, same teeth. If the cavities increase in size the next time the girl comes in, then the first dentist was right, they should have been filled. If they are the same at the next visit and have got no worse, the second dentist was right not to fill.

Example 2:

Lady visits dentist every year for 20 years, she has large fillings on lots of back teeth that have been there for 15+. She moves away, sees a new dentist who advises her that all these heavily filled teeth need crowns asap. She is upset and complains to previous dentist about his negligence over the 20 years. He shows her all her records and X-rays from over the years, these show that the fillings are as good today as they were 15 years ago, the new dentist had formed an opinion after seeing her for 20 minutes which contradicted the opinion of the dentist who had looked after her for 20 years.

Who is right, who is wrong? One, both, neither?, only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Why did you get a second opinion?? Were you unhappy with the first dentist even before you got the differing opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MaryM9

The reason why I have 2 opinions is, because, I only went in the first place to get my teeth cleaned, and he left stains on them, so I had to have them re-cleaned - hence the second dentist. I did not go back because I don't like to complain ( the stains were very obvious ).

The reason why I have 2 opinions is, because, I only went in the first place to get my teeth cleaned, and he left stains on them, so I had to have them re-cleaned - hence the second dentist. I did not go back to the first one is because I don't like to complain ( the stains were very obvious ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

MaryM9 wrote: »
    The reason why I have 2 opinions is, because, I only went in the first place to get my teeth cleaned, and he left stains on them, so I had to have them re-cleaned - hence the second dentist. I did not go back to the first one is because I don't like to complain ( the stains were very obvious ).

As previously said, you either go with the dentist you trust most or with the dentist who did the most thorough examination and X-rays and who can show you that you need or don't need fillings...
    Or get a third opinion???!!

Hi guys, just to let you all know, I found an honest dentist - the result - one filling, and it wont be 'needed' for a very long time if I don't want to get it done yet, as its just a tiny spot, :) . He's one of the 'old school' God bless him, none of the false bs.... usually associated with dentists, just good old fashioned help.

Hi guys, just to let you all know, I found an honest dentist - the result - one filling, and it wont be 'needed' for a very long time if I don't want to get it done yet, as its just a tiny spot, :) . He's one of the 'old school' God bless him, none of the false bs.... ( 40 'root canals' etc ) usually associated with dentists these days, just good old fashioned help..

P.s. Thanks for all your replies, I think I'm getting quicker at recognizing the Truth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi guys, just to let you all know, I found an honest dentist - the result - one filling, and it wont be 'needed' for a very long time if I don't want to get it done yet, as its just a tiny spot, :) . He's one of the 'old school' God bless him, none of the false bs.... ( 40 'root canals' etc ) usually associated with dentists these days, just good old fashioned help..

P.s. Thanks for all your replies, I think I'm getting quicker at recognizing the Truth :)

Only time will tell which one was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You obviously gelled with the dentist in question here, this is so important and as with everything that some compatibility in the dentists and patients personality is essential. Hope everything goes well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement