Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Wilson Must Go

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

Am I alone in believing that Mary Wilson is beyond any doubt, the worst presenter possible for Drivetime?
    She constantly makes mistakes, asks silly go nowhere questions and is annoying to boot. Rachel English made a much better hand of the show and Philip Boucher Hayes or Fergal Keane would be so much better then MW.
    Has she a minimum run on the show before she is replaced or must we wait until she decides she has had enough?

Anthony......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

Do, do, do, do, do, you really think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah, I've been posting here a while about her. I think either PBH or Rachael English should be doing the job, though I think Rachael left the job cos she had health issues.

She is slow thinking, constantly making mistakes, asking questions twice, asking stupid/irrelevant questions, pissing the guests off with childish/petty/tabloid assertions.... She was good at the court reports, put her back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

boucher hayes for me , rachel english ( while better than the awfull mary wilson ) has one of those voices which screams HUMAN INTEREST story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Pandybelly wrote: »

She constantly makes mistakes, asks silly go nowhere questions

I couldn't agree more.
    It's astonishing to see the national broadcasters drivetime show presented like this. I stopped listening in february for these reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Mary Wilson and the awful Claire Byrne are extremley hard to listen to. Rachel English was as bad IMO. Boucher Hayes or old friend Myles Dungan would be a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mary Wilson
    Rachel English
    Philip Boucher Hayes
    Myles Dungan

Bloody Nora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Fiskar wrote: »
    .... or old friend Myles Dungan would be a lot better.

But could he take the time off from reading the American Constitution to take up such a position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kickbox

For me it's her tone of voice!!! She was great as justice correspondent but she's just not a great presenter and her topics are always straight politics!!! I never hear any feature type topics!!

Rachel English while very competent her spit twirling voice goes through me!! Maybe I'm the only one who has observed the way her mouth makes a saliva esque noise when she speaks!! Aine lawlor is one of the few females I find good at a political/current affairs type show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

"Fill In" Boucher Hayes does my head...sounds like he's trying to simplify everything because he thinks we're all stupid.

the only reason i listen to drivetime over hook or cooper is the quality of guests and the fact that they tend to do more stuff in the studio instead of over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Painful is the word I'd most closely associate with Wilson. I posted at length about her before so I won't repeat myself.
    Matt Cooper has an easy ride I would deduce, given the ineptitudes in direct competition.

Matt Coopers ratings have been on a downwards spiral for the last few years, he seems to have been hit hardest by the fall in car-bound commuters. All of which suggests that RTE have it easy, no matter how lame or lazy the output people just keep listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm always surprised by the amount of mistakes that is made on Drivetime. You'd swear listening to it that it was everyones first week on the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm always surprised by the amount of mistakes that is made on Drivetime. You'd swear listening to it that it was everyones first week on the job.

I think that's a general RTE problem, on both radio and television. Have you ever watched an entire edition of the Six-One news without hearing Bryan Dobson apologising for some cock-up or other? Me neither.

I don't think Mary Wilson is a bad presenter, but she's probably not suited to what should be a fast-paced, drive-time radio show. I'd prefer if Rachael English or Philip Boucher Hayes were presenting. Or maybe even David McWilliams, whose Newstalk morning show was always really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Fiskar wrote: »
    Mary Wilson and the awful Claire Byrne are extremley hard to listen to. Rachel English was as bad IMO. Boucher Hayes or old friend Myles Dungan would be a lot better.
    It's a bit harsh comparing anyone to Claire Byrne.:D

mike65 wrote: »
    Matt Coopers ratings have been on a downwards spiral for the last few years, he seems to have been hit hardest by the fall in car-bound commuters. All of which suggests that RTE have it easy, no matter how lame or lazy the output people just keep listening.
    I'm surprised to hear that because in my opinion he's a couple of levels above the competition. There's no accounting for taste or indeed standards it seems when it comes to the average listener.

I was surprised as well to be honest. Esp when you consider the two he goes up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Cooper's the best of the three only by default!

I think 'spiraling' is a bit strong. Yeah, his numbers have dropped but not ina 'free fall' style. Just a gradual reduction as have all his competitors. He's still a fine presenter and we're luck in Ireland to have three very good quality 'talk' drivetime shows on our national stations and an equally fine one on the quasi 4FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I've been listening to her through gritted ears for the last while and to be honest she's getting worse.

Valerie Cox was reporting from Donegal about the last of the funerals of those poor lads (another thread should debate the "merits" of that in itself) and she mentioned that the press were asked to stay away from one of them; "WHY?" Mary roared over her..causing VC to mumble out an explaination like a bold child. Who feckin' cares why? It's the poor families' right to privacy you dumb bunny!

She clearly doesn't listen to ANY on the correspondents when they report in and constantly shuffles her papers. Completely rude.

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    She clearly doesn't listen to ANY on the correspondents when they report in and constantly shuffles her papers. Completely rude.
    She displays zero flexibility. It seems that she has her poor script and no deviation will be accommodated, even when the segment demands it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I just can't help but think she's a bit lightweight and doesn't quite ask the right questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Wilson should have stuck to her gig down at the Four Goldmines, it was a big mistake of hers to take the drivetime gig

RTE are terrible at selecting real winners

PBH should be put in Joe Duffy's chair, send Joe to early retirement, he is burned out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Joe Duffy should have never been allowed on the airwaves. Its thanks to the relic Gay (Mr Road Safety) Byrne that we are stuck with him. He gives airtime to people that should not be allowed near a microphone with BS problems and so called human interest stories.
    The sooner he is gone the better. Mind you, Damian O'Reilly is nearly worse..........

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Pandybelly wrote: »
    Joe Duffy should have never been allowed on the airwaves. Its thanks to the relic Gay (Mr Road Safety) Byrne that we are stuck with him. He gives airtime to people that should not be allowed near a microphone with BS problems and so called human interest stories.
    The sooner he is gone the better. Mind you, Damian O'Reilly is nearly worse..........

Is it Joe/Damian or the producers that decide what callers get on??

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Is it Joe/Damian or the producers that decide what callers get on??
    They have call screeners who'll pass on interesting ones to the producer for inclusion. They often tend to call people who have texted the show and ask them to go on air and discuss/expand on their text response. A good call screener is vital for phone in shows.

Aidric wrote: »
    She displays zero flexibility. It seems that she has her poor script and no deviation will be accommodated, even when the segment demands it.

I think she and some of the other female presenters are under unfair pressure at RTE. Pressure to perform that their male counterparts are not subject to.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

mike65 wrote: »
    Mary Wilson
    Rachel English
    Philip Boucher Hayes
    Myles Dungan

Bloody Nora.

Isn't she still a Euro MP?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Mary Wislon has an irritating voice, but Rachael English and Philip double barrel have the most irritating voices on radio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

They have call screeners who'll pass on interesting ones to the producer for inclusion. They often tend to call people who have texted the show and ask them to go on air and discuss/expand on their text response. A good call screener is vital for phone in shows.

So no point in blaming the presenter if there are poor callers on air then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement