Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite music venue in Dublin & why?

• 27-04-2005 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Whats your favoutite music venue?
    Imagine if your favouite artist / band announced a show in Dublin and you could choose the venue, where would it be... and why?

For me, the Olympia always wins out... its just got a great close feel with the performers and the crowd and the place just oozes style.
    The Ambassador follows close behind though.

/edit - sorry, was in the process of building the poll when work got manic! Hense the post first... poll a good bit after :)

Favourite Venue? 36 votes

Whelans
    0% 0 votes
    The Point Depot
    5% 2 votes
    The Village
    2% 1 vote
    The Olympia
    8% 3 votes
    Marley Park
    30% 11 votes
    Lansdowne Road
    2% 1 vote
    The Ambassador
    0% 0 votes
    Vicar Street
    11% 4 votes
    Other?
    27% 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

The olympia is great for gigs but the security staff there are always a pack of mongs. It would have to be the Ambassador,nice small venue and really good acoustics too

/edit
    A poll would be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I never really saw the appeal of The Olympia. It's alright, but not great. Good location though. Ambassador is certainly better. More comfortable upstairs too. And there's only one upstairs. Upper Circle in the Olympia is ridiculous. Security is terribe in both. Vicar Street is far better imo. Lower stage, better seats, tables for quieter gigs... nicer! But the location is crap. Even still my favourite would be TBMC. Brilliant size. Perfect size for a gig. ( A lot of band I like seem to have exactly 600 fans :) ) Anyway sound is always good. So are the staff. Good location. Also I just like the place. Seems to have the reputation for being a kip. Can't really see that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I really hate the olympia, the point is alright if you have seats in the upper section or if you get there early to get standing near the front. Vicar St is truely excellent though, especially for intimate type gigs. Great atmosphere.

Only ever went to one gig in the TBMC (At The Drive-In) and while the gig was great I wouldn't be hot on the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

vicar st. is fantastic but havent seen enough music there to judge so i'm with the olympia. great sound system, nice layout to get a big crowd in but still with an intimate-ish feel.

think the ambassador is pretty sh1te tbh. dreadful sound system for some, ok for others.....but always smelly.

seen some killer gigs in the village too but last one was diabolical, couldnt hear a thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hate the olympia. All three gigs I've been to their have been below par for me (pumpkins, rancid and ionterpol) The sound was crap for Rancid and the pumpkins. I just dont like Interpol, and 2 barriers arent neccessary at all :(

TBMC here too. Some of the best gigs there. Stiff Littel Fingers, Dropkick Murphys, Finch, Berkeley and.............Hanson are among the best gigs I've ever been to :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

music centre is the defo the best venue IMHO its got enough room for a large crowd (yet still remain intimate), all the right gear both both audio and visual (altough the visual gear is a tad bit old :-( then as a plus the security are cool, all the stage staff are excellent to work with as well and as a final bonus yer never too long waiting on a beer (major gig killer for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

For me its the olympia too . Best gigs have been too were in the olympia.

For all the reasons that have been posted small intimate venue. You really feel apart of things. Seeing Radiohead thier was something so special just magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

olympia is just lovely :)
    been there for so many gigs,ya get a great view from any part of the venue!

Advertisement