Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL DRAFT 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Courtney Upshaw or Jonathan Martin would be two candidates, but it's hard to tell. They're just guesses.

Speaking of drops, no teams in the NFL have schedule any visits or private workouts with Vontaze Burfict. I've never seen such a spectacular drop in stock since I've been following drafts. Just completely bottomed out.

most gms never rated him tho it was just normal fans saw the big hits and fell for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

This time last year he was one of the best linebackers in college football entering his senior year. He was a magnet to the ball, but something happened and he just lost almost every trace of intensity he had on the field.

This time last year he was one of the best linebackers in college football entering his senior year. He was a magnet to the ball, but something happened and he just lost almost every trace of intensity he had on the field.

didnt see much of him last year sounds like taylor mays times 10

when has a player that was previously reguarded as a poor player and becomes a first round pick due to pro day/combine ever been successful im sure theres one or two but theres a hell of a lot of busts

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His combine numbers spoke for what happened imo - dude got lazy and stopped working out by the looks of things. Disillusionment with football? Personal problems (or some other type of health problem)? You got to be the best athlete you can be to stand a chance at that level of the game imo, he is a long way off that and he's not going to be an NFL player as a result.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    when has a player that was previously reguarded as a poor player and becomes a first round pick due to pro day/combine ever been successful im sure theres one or two but theres a hell of a lot of busts

Vernon Davis was a classic 'work out warrior' high pick, and he finally put it together last year. He wasn't viewed as a 'poor' player mind, but was not projected as a top half of the first round type pick until the combine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If Burfict lands at the right team he could still make an impact. Being a late round pick or UDFA could be the kick up the ass he needs.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If Burfict lands at the right team he could still make an impact. Being a late round pick or UDFA could be the kick up the ass he needs.

Historically, successful UDFAs tend to be guys perceived as being short on talent who are known to have great character and work habits before the draft takes place (Herzlich who made the Giants last year would be a case in point).

Guys with perceived talent who take this sort of nosedive are really unlikely to survive training camp.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Vernon Davis was a classic 'work out warrior' high pick, and he finally put it together last year. He wasn't viewed as a 'poor' player mind, but was not projected as a top half of the first round type pick until the combine.

ya but if he didnt get a kick in the ass off mike singletary he mite still be an underachiever he was good but if he stayed how he was he was worth a late 1st or 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Davis has been excellent since he came into the league. He is an excellent blocker and they used him in a blocking role an awful lot over his first couple of years. He has been the no.1 receiver for the 49ers for a couple of years now. He didn't just break out last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What? VD actually had a relatively poor season compared to what he was producing previously. He led the league in touchdowns in 2009, after all.

He's been an elite tight end for a good few years now.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Davis has been excellent since he came into the league. He is an excellent blocker and they used him in a blocking role an awful lot over his first couple of years. He has been the no.1 receiver for the 49ers for a couple of years now. He didn't just break out last year.
    Syferus wrote: »
    What? VD actually had a relatively poor season compared to what he was producing previously. He led the league in touchdowns in 2009, after all.

He's been an elite tight end for a good few years now.

Fair enough. I'd argue the big plays came at the big times last year but I can't quibble with the stats. I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

Anyone know if the Draft is on TV? I presume it will be on ESPN but are Sky showing it also? Also, what time will it start Irish Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

menu14 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Draft is on TV? I presume it will be on ESPN but are Sky showing it also? Also, what time will it start Irish Time?

ESPN do a live radiocast that's available sans thinkering on ESPN.com. Don't even know if they have rights to televise the draft live, though.

nfl.com maby they did the later rounds last year not sure bout the first round tho

Was on ESPN last year so hoping same again this year. Dont see why it wont be (fingers crossed)

menu14 wrote: »

Be on around midnight Irish time

Almost positive that it's on ESPN again this year. Have the Friday booked off work and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Guys if Weeden was 21 at what point would he be drafted? I think the age thing is overblown, there's a big difference between being 28 and not having played professional football and taken a beating to being a guy coming fresh into the league at 28.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Guys if Weeden was 21 at what point would he be drafted? I think the age thing is overblown, there's a big difference between being 28 and not having played professional football and taken a beating to being a guy coming fresh into the league at 28.

i think hed be 3rd off the board probably around 10

hes not been beaten as much but he was in mlb hes shoulder has taken a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I suppose its got a lot to do with the fact that he is not NFL ready having only played in a shotgun formation so a team ideally like to have a year to develop a player and with Weeden that means he would be 30 before he is a starter. Most QBs don't last past age 34 so I'd imagine its the short shelf life thats worrying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I wouldn't touch him. A rookie older than Rodgers? I'd also question his motives. Baseball is obv. his first love. If you need a qb that bad, you arent going anywhere soon anyway. Build your oline/receiving corps and dine on the feast of qbs next year.

Another if only QB here.

Saw Gruden's QB camp with Russell Wilson last night. He came across really well and he has played in 2 pro style offenses. Taken lots of snaps from under centre and west coast.

I know he is only 5ft 11 but does anyone think he could become an NFl QB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Another if only QB here.

Saw Gruden's QB camp with Russell Wilson last night. He came across really well and he has played in 2 pro style offenses. Taken lots of snaps from under centre and west coast.

I know he is only 5ft 11 but does anyone think he could become an NFl QB?

Saw that too, and out of all the QBs Gruden has been with so far this year he was the most impressive speaker and seemed very confident. Someone will pick him up in a later rounds and hopefully he gets his chance.

1 week to go, damn I can't wait :)

Dan Di Lella
    QB UAlbany
    Height 6ft 5 Weight 225

January 2012: Your college career is finished and you know you will never play in the NFL. You are considering how to turn your Bus. Admin major into a job when you receive a letter from the Arizona Cardinals looking for information about you.

You go from that to dinner with the Dolphins, to a pro-day and a private work-out for the Giants and Jets.

Great story for the guy and would be some turn around from having no future in the game to possibly getting drafted

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/4/18/2955419/dan-dilella-ualbany-new-york-giants-scott-brunner-chad-pennington-2012-nfl-draft

Kellen Moore was on Gruden QB camp today. Recorded it and looking forward to watching it tonight

any chance of popping some of the other gruden qb things up

Kellen Moore was on Gruden QB camp today. Recorded it and looking forward to watching it tonight

Was much more impressed with Kellen Moore and Russell Wilson than Luck and RGIII.

Shame that Moore & Russell just lack a bit of arm strength for Moore and a bit of height for Russell.

2 great college QB's and seem high character guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Nerd, Grudens qb camp with cousins, wilson and moore are all on youtube.

Advertisement