Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lose Weight

• 17-07-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I m looking for some advice,

I am looking to lose some weight at the moment I am,

6ft 3' in height and 15st 13lbs in weight,,

I have an average diet but I am a frequent drinker, I think here is where I need to cut down,

Any advice? :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youd need to elaborate more on your 'average' diet and frequent drinking, and say what kind of activity levels you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Oryx wrote: »
    Youd need to elaborate more on your 'average' diet and frequent drinking, and say what kind of activity levels you have.

Ok Thanks,

Breakfast
    -Orange Juice,Yogurt,Cornflakes,

Lunch
    Chicken/Steak/Lasagne/Pork served with veg/chips/potatoes

Dinner
    Chicken/Steak/Fish served with veg/pasta/chips

I have at least 10 pints of alcohol a week,
    I also I have between 4-5 bars of chocolate a week,
    I have at least one take away a week

I excercise twice a week which consists of 5 min Bike,Rower,Treadmill and 20 min weights

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

I've given up all things wheat and dairy (with the occasional slip on a Friday or Saturday) and just eat meat, fish, eggs, veg and fruit. The only potato I eat is sweet potato.

It's doing wonders.

Do a search for paleo recipes for some good meal ideas.

Get a proper weights program - 5x5 is great. Check that out.

A bit of cardio one or two other days a week - 20 mins will be grand - high intensity.

Stop eating bars of choclate. One a week is grand, as is a takeaway provided your clean bar that one 'cheat meal'.

No point saying to cut back on booze, people rarely do! But see how ya get on! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Ok Thanks,

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

I excercise twice a week which consists of 5 min Bike,Rower,Treadmill and 20 min weights

Some obvious points:

- cornflakes are awful for you. Go home and throw out the remnants of the box and never, ever buy them again;
    - cereals are a dreadful start to the day. Porridge or some eggs and bacon a much better breakfest;
    - Meat and veg is great, but chips / potatoes / pasta should be taken in moderation unless your activity levels are very high on a daily basis. Up the veg and lower the starchy carbs;
    - It's up to yourself, but the problem with drink is that it's full of sugar. It also tends to lead to compounding negative behaviour the day after in terms of diet and exercise;
    - Chocolate bars and take aways ain't going to aid weightloss and you know this yourself;
    - Where's the fat? Fat doesn't make you fat, you actually need healthy fats so consider adding a couple of handfuls of nuts and seeds every day (instead of the chocolate bars). Cook your meat with butter / high quality olive oil and maybe throw in a pint of full fat milk after training sessions;

Diet is going to be the main component of weightloss, but consider upping your exercise also. Two ~35min sessions of exercise a week is on the low side. In terms of exercise to do, HIIT (high intensity interval training - google) and weights are the things to focus on. A session doesn't have to be more than 35 minutes, but four sessions a week is better than two. ;)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Ok Thanks,

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Have bacon and eggs for breakfast...juice and cornflakes are evil
    Lunch: chicken/steak with veg...your done
    dinner: chicken/steak/fish with veg..your done
    Alcohol....none..sorted
    Chocolate, dark..no less than 70%...sorted
    Take away...if you must have one..and just one!!!!

Sort your diet like above and your sorted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

It's actually not that difficult to lose weight. Well, the science behind it isn't difficult. Motivation is the hard part. I've lost over 4 stone in the past two years, and I haven't had to drastically alter my lifestyle so my experience might be of some use to you.

1. Cut down on the booze. No need to cut it out altogether, but maybe have a week on and a week off. The danger in drinking isn't so much the calories in the alcohol (IMO), but the calories in the taco fries and double cheeseburger you get on the way home! I've lived abraod for the past 9 months, and drink more than I do at home, but have continued to lose weight because such gastronomic delights weren't available to me.

2. You are what you eat. Sounds trite, but it's true. Diet is by far the most important aspect of losing weight. You get that right, you're half way there. And there's no need to get all scientific about it. Find out what you need to keep yourself going, and maybe shave 500 calories per day from it. Not exactly rocket science. Some here will advise you to avoid white bread and the like, but I don't think that's necessary if you just want to lose weight. For example, I was told to sunbstitute wholemeal bread for white bread. i did my own research, and found that wholemeal bread often has more calories. Is it healthier- yes. But being the healthier option doesn't necessarily mean that it'll lose you the weight.

3. Exercise is also important, but won't do much for you without a good diet. A good mix between weights and cardio is what I found to be effective. And muscle burns more calories than fat, so toning up will help you get rid of that unwanted fat.

Those are my three top tips. It's not rocket science. It's pretty basic actually. Just try to keep motivated. Have a good playlist for the gym if you go. Even better, play sports that you enjoy. I started playing tennis for example. And don't kill yourself for the occasional lapse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for your quick replies!

very useful and helpful info :):cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ok Thanks,

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

The first thing that stands out to me is that you seem to be having a dinner for lunch and a dinner for dinner. Unless you are doing a physical job, I don't think you need so much. Would you consider swapping lunch for a salad?

Can we assume the 10 pints of alcohol is beer, and not scotch? Is it 10 pints on Friday night or is it ~2 every night? If its every day, at least cut it down to 1 per night. If its 10 in a night, cut it down by a few, have a glass of water every other round or so.

Well done for doing weights, but 20 minutes isn't enough. IMO, 40 minutes minimum is more like it.

5 bars of chocolate a week is a lot. Cut it down to one or two so its a treat.

syklops wrote: »
    The first thing that stands out to me is that you seem to be having a dinner for lunch and a dinner for dinner. Unless you are doing a physical job, I don't think you need so much. Would you consider swapping lunch for a salad?

Can we assume the 10 pints of alcohol is beer, and not scotch? Is it 10 pints on Friday night or is it ~2 every night? If its every day, at least cut it down to 1 per night. If its 10 in a night, cut it down by a few, have a glass of water every other round or so.

Well done for doing weights, but 20 minutes isn't enough. IMO, 40 minutes minimum is more like it.

5 bars of chocolate a week is a lot. Cut it down to one or two so its a treat.

Ya I was thinking that with regards the dinner alright.. Today I had a salad sandwhich and chicken soup for lunch and I will have spaghetti bolgnaise later.. is that something along the right track?

In terms of beer yes its either heineken or murpys(stout)..
    I usually have three friday, five saturday and two sunday!
    Im looking to cut out the fri and sunday drinking tho!!

I should be able to cut out chocolate fairly easily,

Ya I was thinking that with regards the dinner alright.. Today I had a salad sandwhich and chicken soup for lunch and I will have spaghetti bolgnaise later.. is that something along the right track?

Thats a bit more like it. And when doing Bolognese go easy on the pasta. Remember Spag Bol was developed by Italian farmers wives to fill up their families who have been working in the fields all day. If you work in an office or are in other ways sedentary you don't need the same from a calorie point of view. Add a little less mince, and add lots of different veg to it, carrot, celery, onion, tomato, etc. The Pasta packet probably tells you a regular serving is 75grammes per person, thats because they want you to use up your pasta and go buy more. Maybe reduce down to 50g of Pasta?

Little adjustments here and there, and you can lose weight with out any great hardship.

• Advertisement

Thats a bit more like it. And when doing Bolognese go easy on the pasta. Remember Spag Bol was developed by Italian farmers wives to fill up their families who have been working in the fields all day. If you work in an office or are in other ways sedentary you don't need the same from a calorie point of view. Add a little less mince, and add lots of different veg to it, carrot, celery, onion, tomato, etc. The Pasta packet probably tells you a regular serving is 75grammes per person, thats because they want you to use up your pasta and go buy more. Maybe reduce down to 50g of Pasta?

Little adjustments here and there, and you can lose weight with out any great hardship.

Cheers for the advice,, I always throw in a bit of carrot,brocoli aswell, to keep a bit of a balance,

What would be your view on water and isotonic drinks?

Cheers for the advice,, I always throw in a bit of carrot,brocoli aswell, to keep a bit of a balance,

What would be your view on water and isotonic drinks?

Water = Good!
    Isotonic drinks = Bad!

An isotonic drink with a picture of David beckham on the front should really only be drunk by David Beckham and other peak athletes. 40 minutes in the gym should not warrant one, just stay hydrated.

Water = Good!
    Isotonic drinks = Bad!

An isotonic drink with a picture of David beckham on the front should really only be drunk by David Beckham and other peak athletes. 40 minutes in the gym should not warrant one, just stay hydrated.

Ok perfect, I have water throughout my sessions and my working day!,

I usually do a length or two in the pool after followed by time in the sauna,
    Would you recommend this as an effective way of ending a workout?

Ok perfect, I have water throughout my sessions and my working day!,

I usually do a length or two in the pool after followed by time in the sauna,
    Would you recommend this as an effective way of ending a workout?

Im not a personal trainer, so this is just my opinion, but after a good weights session, I wouldn't have the energy for a swim after. If you've been lifting hard, the cold water, followed by the warm sauna would help stave off DOMS, which I suffer from, but I wouldn't have it in me. Im a fan of drop sets, so by the end of my session I cant lift my arms so swimming would be out.

Advertisement