Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Gear is back - Sunday 27th January

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Great show tonite - the Impreza kicked ass

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RoverJames wrote: »
    Legacy outback would have been ideal for them :)
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That was the first thing I thought of too, surely there are loads of them in the UK?

Yeah, but that would be sensible. :) Impreza was the decent choice while the other 2 were there for the entertainment/mishaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought the first part of tonight's special was great, really looking forward to next week. Alot more of the show focused on the cars (as it should be), compared to the India special last Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

Missed last few weeks, but back in country just in time for the Africa special. Loved the first part.

I really thought James May would turn up a giant old Merc. It being Africa and all, that is one car you can by fixed everywhere in Africa not to mention the wood trim etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

More dated scripted tat from what was once a great show - makes me sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Excellent show, can't wait for next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

the Hilux would eat African terrain for breakfast and spit it out with delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

shinkansen wrote: »
    the Hilux would eat African terrain for breakfast and spit it out with delight.

Very true, and i lost count of how many Landcruisers i saw in the film, about 10 alone in the 'president's motorcade', which are pretty much the only thing used outside of the cities in Africa.. but it would be too easy and not very entertaining to bring a vehicle built with African survival as part of its standard equipment. (each model tested for 6 months in the Australian outback)

I enjoyed it, if a slight bit predictable - an 850R - really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭blackwhite

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Very true, and i lost count of how many Landcruisers i saw in the film, about 10 alone in the 'president's motorcade', which are pretty much the only thing used outside of the cities in Africa.. but it would be too easy and not very entertaining to bring a vehicle built with African survival as part of its standard equipment. (each model tested for 6 months in the Australian outback)

I enjoyed it, if a slight bit predictable - an 850R - really?

Landcruisers in Uganda are only for NGOs, oil companies, ex-pats, high ranking politicians and the military.
    The majority of vehicles are 20 year old saloons imported from Japan after at least 15 years of hard driving. Or else matatus, which are just hiaces converted into minibuses, some with 4wd.

I did a trip similar to what the TG team are doing two years, this episode just makes me want to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I wonder who actually goes out and buys the cars and ultimately where they end up? I'm sure Clarkson and May would both have picked something 4wd too. The impreza was a good choice but as said earlier the outback would have been the better car. Can't imagine they picked up the wrx estate for £1500. I went online looking online last night and couldn't find one for anything near that.

I had to laugh when they decorates the cars, I'm sorry but there is no effin way they done that themselves. Mays car with the workshop was my favourite btw.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

thought it was a bit boring, the new fifth gear last night, now thats a car show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

The specials are just about bearable to watch. The regular show is just a scripted circle jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Was having a think about all the specials they've done. Off the top of my head, they don't have too many locations left to go to

1. Russia (Serberia would be good)
    2. China
    3. Australian outback

IMO, South American special has been the best so far, followed by the US Southern States special.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Was having a think about all the specials they've done. Off the top of my head, they don't have too many locations left to go to

1. Russia (Serberia would be good)
    2. China
    3. Australian outback

IMO, South American special has been the best so far, followed by the US Southern States special.

It would be cool if they did a special "series" if you will, where they go across the world in a Long Way Round kind of thing like Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. A couple of episodes long!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Sorry for going backwards but does anyone now where series 1 episode 1 can be found online. Im guessing its the one with Jay Kay.

Cheers

ps Who knew Edd China made a brief appearance, mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Sorry for going backwards but does anyone now where series 1 episode 1 can be found online. Im guessing its the one with Jay Kay.

Cheers

ps Who knew Edd China made a brief appearance, mad

Theres every series and episode to date. Just click one of the blue boxes and follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Loving it tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The homemade ferry journeys looked genuinely scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That was all very good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Clarksons "handbrake" coming in through his back window was hilarious.
    Good ep.

• Advertisement

Cungi wrote: »
    Clarksons "handbrake" coming in through his back window was hilarious.
    Good ep.

I properly laughed my ass off at that.
    They took some serious damage towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

CianRyan wrote: »
    I properly laughed my ass off at that.
    They took some serious damage towards the end.

And couldn't have been set up. The volvo shattering alloys was mad and the bmw blowing airbags

Not to mention the suspension damage to the WRX and Volvo. :eek:
    Some seriously harsh terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Crap, the only way i can see Top gear is by torrents. :( I dont know why, but there are no 2 latest episodes. Only US ones... Wtf... :( I was looking forward to see Scooby in TopGear :(

PM in coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Crap, the only way i can see Top gear is by torrents. :( I dont know why, but there are no 2 latest episodes. Only US ones... Wtf... :( I was looking forward to see Scooby in TopGear :(

I use filmon.com. Streams tv to your pc or smartphone. Its free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Delete pms Cian, box is full!

5 years of PM's deleted. That was emotional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not to mention the suspension damage to the WRX and Volvo. :eek:
    Some seriously harsh terrain.

they are not 'roads' as such so its hardly surprising

if them cars really did escape with what they mentioned its pretty good going tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement