Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freezing / Crashing Triax TR 212 Saorview PVR

• 03-11-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I bought a Triax TR 212 Saorview Receiver which has the option of adding on an external USB drive.

Setup was easy including attaching a 1 Terabyte USB Drive.

However, when I playback media on it, it crashes every 10 minute. The first 2 or 3 times it comes back to life and then it simply hangs. I have to plug it out to get it responding again.

Has anyone else had these problems.

I tried to download a software update, but there is none available on the Triax site. It seems to me I will have to send it back.

To be honest, I would warn anyone off buying it even if this could be fixed. There is no way to delete a file once you have recorded it. I searched the manual and could not find it.

Strikes me that this box is simply not fit for purpose. Would appreciate anyone else's views.

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

has the drive you purchased an external power supply or is it fed from the saorview box via the usb,
    you can delete each recording or the full drive if you want to on this box,you nedd to press the media button and scroll to record manager,press ok and you should a list of each recording then using the colour button you have a choice of delete options.i dont have it in front of me at hthe moment but im pretty sure thats how you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's unlikely a Set-box can reliably power a HDD. Some HDD take as much power as entire set box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShaneJ

thanks. i have a 4 year old drive that takes external power. i will try it and report back.

methinks however that there isa bit of mis-selling going on here. when was the last time anyone saw a usb drive that was powered separately.

forgive lack of capitals. phone is behaving funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Loads of DECENT performance HDD in a USB caddy need a separate PSU.

The official spec is 100mA or 500mA USB supply. Apple "broke" the specs by having a laptop with 1A output ability and an external drive of some sort that needed it.

The set-boxes have very small PSUs. I suspect some may not do more than 100mA and almost none more than 500mA.

This debacle is why any box without INTERNAL HDD (and sufficient PSU!) isn't really a PVR.

This model isn't IMO a real PVR, it's a dual tuner setbox with recording feature as it can't support an internal HDD, or even an external one without its own PSU.

I'd never buy a Triax Electronics anyway as they are a Dish/Aerial Maker and are simply rebadging cheaper Asian designed and built stuff than the Turkish Vestel (UK & USA designed) stuff everyone else sells.

For a real Saorview PVR I'd wait for a Humax, Sony, LG, Samsung (or maybe even Panasonic) box with built in 500G or 1T HDD and ideally a BD (Blue Ray with DVD compatibility) player/burner and ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Volcane

For a real Saorview PVR I'd wait for a Humax, Sony, LG, Samsung (or maybe even Panasonic) box with built in 500G or 1T HDD and ideally a BD (Blue Ray with DVD compatibility) player/burner and ethernet.

What likely updates above what is available now are possible? Should we/I wait until some of the current Freeview HD machines pass Saorview approval and even then are they likely to have Freeview HD Features disabled?

I want to replace an old analogue/freeview Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder (that worked great)and had assumed that as with their 2012 TV range that a 'new for 2012' Panasonic recorder would be truly dual purpose. They get good reviews on Amazon unlike similar Sony/Samsung machines but I don't trust Panasonic enough to buy!! I remember too well the mess they made with DTT televisions in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I had to clear off data on my old self powered hard drive and then do a "format" to make it record stuff. (Then it said USB error) The format only took a millisecond, so I am not sure whether it was a real format.

I am sending it back. John at Peats said no problem.

S

pegasuspub wrote: »
    then using the colour button you have a choice of delete options.i dont have it in front of me at hthe moment but im pretty sure thats how you do it.

I expected that one of the colour buttons would have been delete, but no, it is not.

Maybe the old TR112 box has this, but this one does not.

S

Advertisement