Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New gaming PC build help.

• 17-07-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

1. What is your budget? ~€900.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - latest releases primarily.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes (but can be taken care of at a later date)

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22'.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any.

9. When are you purchasing? Before October preferably.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I won't need help.

Building a PC is new to me, and while I have a rough idea of what I want, I'm having trouble choosing a graphics card, power supply and fan. Right now, I'm looking at:

BitFenix Shinobi
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-2700K, LGA 1155
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (Alternatively here, I could go for an external and a smaller internal.)
    Corsair Vengeance memory - 8 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 (two of these)

This totals €709.15. I don't need a disk drive, as a friend has an array of them. I'm willing to change anything there if you think it can be improved performance/cost wise. Ideally, this PC will last me a while, and I can upgrade bits of it occasionally to keep it up to date. Any help would be really appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I'm on my phone so can't do much, but here goes:

Don't get an i7, get an i5 2500k instead.
    Get an AsRock Z77 Pro3 Motherboard instead.
    Don't get that RAM, get cheap G.Skill stuff.

Also: try and fit in an SSD. Look at the Crucial M4 line, or even better, look at the Samsung 830s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mr-reiper

Eboggles wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so can't do much, but here goes:

Don't get an i7, get an i5 2500k instead.
    Get an AsRock Z77 Pro3 Motherboard instead.
    Don't get that RAM, get cheap G.Skill stuff.

Also: try and fit in an SSD. Look at the Crucial M4 line, or even better, look at the Samsung 830s.

Thanks for the reply! Faster than I expected.

I completely forgot to mention the SSD. My bad. That brings me to about 590. What makes the i7 to i5 change good, besides price? Not a huge performance difference?

mr-reiper wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! Faster than I expected.

I completely forgot to mention the SSD. My bad. That brings me to about 590. What makes the i7 to i5 change good, besides price? Not a huge performance difference?

No performance difference :).

No performance difference :).

Wonderful! I still need a graphics card and power source. I really don't know where to start with the graphics card.

Wonderful! I still need a graphics card and power source. I really don't know where to start with the graphics card.

I'd change the motherboard, too. I'd get an AsRock Z77 Pro3 or Z68 pro3 Gen3.

For the graphics card, I'd get a 7850/7870/GTX 670, depending on budget.

• Advertisement

I'd change the motherboard, too. I'd get an AsRock Z77 Pro3 or Z68 pro3 Gen3.

For the graphics card, I'd get a 7850/7870/GTX 670, depending on budget.

Yeah you mentioned the motherboard. I've already changed for your one. I think I have everything I need now. Thanks a lot, you really helped me out here. :D

Yeah you mentioned the motherboard. I've already changed for your one. I think I have everything I need now. Thanks a lot, you really helped me out here. :D

Forgot that I had mentioned the motherboard :o.

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

How does this look? I'm not entirely sure, but the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW is saying that I need "Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles". I'm not sure if this has that.

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

How does this look? I'm not entirely sure, but the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW is saying that I need "Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles". I'm not sure if this has that.

Yeah, it has one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin. You'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, I think I have all I need now. Going to go ahead and get a few pieces of it now. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement