Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Liberty hall be demolished and be replaced by a monstrosity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

mmcn90 wrote: »
    AFAIK Hawkins House is due for demolition once they secure the replacement

Shouldn't be too hard considering the amount of empty office space under NAMA in Dublin.
    Replacement building. Plus it's not that easy, one cannot simply walk into an office just because it's in NAMA

True, I was looking at it a bit too simply, but I'm sure there are a few empty office buildings that are up for lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Knock it down and build a proper skyscraper in its place. The sooner we get over this aversion to high rise buildings the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Lapin wrote: »
    The current glass was fitted following bomb damage in the early 1970s. The building certainly looked a lot more elegant prior to that.
    I'd love to see this appearance reinstated.
    libhalloldvi0.jpg

That's a hell of a lot better - almost modern by today's standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I think we should keep Liberty Hall if at all possible - it's an iconic 1960's building that should be restored rather than demolished - there's plenty of space in the docklands for new skyscrapers. Just a note, we have to be very careful not to discard building's just because they were built in the 1960's - after all, that was exactly the mindset then regarding Victorian Buildings - even iconic ones. When the Eiffel Tower was erected in Paris, there were immediate calls for its dismantlement - trying to do just that today might lead to a 2nd French Revolution! About 1960's architecture, I think we should take a rational approach and decide what buildings are worth keeping so that history is not lost. Please don't shoot me when I suggest the following - I would keep:

1) Liberty Hall
    A symbol of Ireland's new found confidence during the 1960's - with its 17 storeys, this building is also said to be Ireland's first skyscraper - mind you, I wasn't sure if it did qualify as a skyscraper. However, I think I would have been very proud of it if I was around then.

2) Phibsboro Tower / Shopping Centre
    A tiny snippet of the 1960's desire for daily convenience and comfort (even if it's now our idea of same) while at the same time, making a bold visual impact (get rid of the ugly phone masts though) - this school of thought is now what we know as Brutalism. The elevated car-park over the shops along with the office tower above the car-park makes a very complete example of the architecture back then and AFAIK, it still functions.

3) Circular Approach Ramps at T1 Dublin Airport
    The approach ramps to then upper car-park of Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport were said to be of Irish Engineering - these structures IMO are genius - the way in which the column and road segments are blended together into a continuous winding upward spiral.

4) Elevated Swimming Pool at Northside Shopping Centre
    Imagine, a complete swimming pool with the shear weight of its liquid volume contained on stilts above the heads of shoppers going about their daily business - it sound's like stuff of the future but no, it has been present at the Northside Shopping Centre, Coolock probably since the 1960's - I believe some regulars at the Northside SC were unaware that such a thing ever existed above them.

I'll leave it there...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

1) Liberty Hall
    A symbol of Ireland's new found confidence during the 1960's - with its 17 storeys, this building is also said to be Ireland's first skyscraper - mind you, I wasn't sure if it did qualify as a skyscraper. However, I think I would have been very proud of it if I was around then.
    Fine, if Liberty Hall stays and we refuse any "high rise" like the Mater Children's Hospital (:rolleyes:) then we abolish height restrictions in the Docklands and build away.
    2) Phibsboro Tower / Shopping Centre
    A tiny snippet of the 1960's desire for daily convenience and comfort (even if it's now our idea of same) while at the same time, making a bold visual impact (get rid of the ugly phone masts though) - this school of thought is now what we know as Brutalism. The elevated car-park over the shops along with the office tower above the car-park makes a very complete example of the architecture back then and AFAIK, it still functions.
    Disagree, it's wasted space, hideous and non-functional.
    3) Circular Approach Ramps at T1 Dublin Airport
    The approach ramps to then upper car-park of Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport were said to be of Irish Engineering - these structures IMO are genius - the way in which the column and road segments are blended together into a continuous winding upward spiral.
    Agreed.
    4) Elevated Swimming Pool at Northside Shopping Centre
    Imagine, a complete swimming pool with the shear weight of its liquid volume contained on stilts above the heads of shoppers going about their daily business - it sound's like stuff of the future but no, it has been present at the Northside Shopping Centre, Coolock probably since the 1960's - I believe some regulars at the Northside SC were unaware that such a thing ever existed above them.
    Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Atrocious then and atrocious now but a nice pic! :D

So it looks like the haters have got their way, ABP has refused planning for the new liberty hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Should Liberty hall be demolished and be replaced by a monstrosity?
    Like-for-like, then?

I believe this is a huge blow to regeneration of north Dublin. I cannot understand the goal of groups whose sole purpose seems to be the preservation of rotten wasteland over any development that would benefit the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Do ABP expand on the "historical preservation" point? What exactly are they preserving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Great to see this iconic Dublin sky scraper preserved.

Hopefully it will be restored to its mid 1960's glory.

Next

..........a campaign to preserve Hawkins House. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

KNOCK IT DOWN......... please !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Just watching it on Telifis Eireann news, it looks if this iconic Dublin building could be demolished and be replaced by an out of proportion monstrosity that will totally obliterate the skyline of Dublin.

As a kid I use to think this "skyscraper" was huge until I travelled to New York. city :p

n5jxbd.jpg

It is now a part of our heritage despite its 'ugliness" and I think it should be classified as a listed building and remain.

Stupid, stupid poll. Liberty Hall should be demolished, but it should not be replaced with something of the magnitude of what SIPTU proposed. Post these sort of retarded "choices" in After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Liberty Hall is no oil painting but that thing they wanted instead was horrific. Completely out of sync with anything around regarding its height, style, and general vibe. Back to drawing boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Seanchai wrote: »

Stupid, stupid poll. Liberty Hall should be demolished, but it should not be replaced with something of the magnitude of what SIPTU proposed. Post these sort of retarded "choices" in After Hours.
    Sore loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Bradidup wrote: »
    Sore loser.

? You're not in the Conspiracy Theories forum either.

Lads cut out the sniping. This isn't after hours, so lets not post like it is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

mhge wrote: »
    Liberty Hall is no oil painting but that thing they wanted instead was horrific. Completely out of sync with anything around regarding its height, style, and general vibe. Back to drawing boards.

What did they want to replace it with?

EDIT: Just saw it earlier in this thread. Not a great picture, but it doesn't look much better. I say keep Liberty Hall till a decent design comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

neris wrote: »
    Knock the horrid thing (prefrebly with jack and the other cronies inside)

Fantastic idea, a floor for every corporate whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There would be outcry if the Empire State building in New York was to be demolished and replaced by something hideous. Liberty Hall is Ireland's Empire State building and should be restored to its pre 1972 condition rather than be demolished.

There are plenty of unfinished commercial properties about the capital that SIPTU could take over without having to demolish Liberty and destroy Dublin's skyline Hall. We have the unfinished Anglo Irish Bank building along the quays and also that other development in Sandyford.

If anyone can remember the IMCO building off Merrion Gares that was shamefully demolished in the late 70's That was about the same age as Liberty Hall is now.

Which is why the tourists swathe around it when they come to see Dublin. Go to the top of the Liberty Hall, see the city, amazing views, 40 euro a go!

Yeah right.

• Advertisement

Libert hall is a poorly designed ugly box. Completely unfit for purpose. Even if they can't replace it, it should be knocked. Maybe regeneration of eden quay should be looked at (with the Abbey), with Siptu moving to the Docklands.

The Point Village tower already has planning and fully constructed foundations, maybe Siptu should look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think the argument that Dublin needs skyscrapers to be a modern city, or because it's somehow running out of room, to be a ridiculous concept.

Practically every third world city or provincial town in England has randomly placed skyscrapers. There's nothing special or modern about them. Dublin, on the other hand, has a relatively intact historic core, something which I see as much more valuable.

There are much better ways to increase density, with good town planning, making efficent use of brownfield sites, keeping street level car parking to a minimum.

I'd use Amsterdam as a model. Very few tall buildings, and essentially none in the historic core, yet it's one of the densest and most walkable cities in Europe.

As far as Liberty Hall goes, the existing building's far from a masterpiece, but the new proposal's much worse. At least liberty hall is slender. The new proposal is much bulkier and inelegant. Notice how all the renders show it from the narrowest end.

I think a lot of people here are attracted to the fact that it's new and shiny. But of course, so was Liberty Hall back in the 60's. What happens when the new proposal ages?

Personally, I think they'd be better off either demolishing it and replacing it with a much smaller building, or, as to be fair, it is a part of Dublin's history, reclad it, removing the ridiculous reflective glass to restore it's original transparent appearance.

Amsterdam is a great example: a city with high rise development in its financial district which isn't far from its historic core.

I agree that up isn't always the best option, but I cannot stand the standard argument against tall because it is tall. Irish people are far too focused on creating urban sprawl than an efficient city with a historic core and a place for offices and financial institutions. Get the historic core back to residential!

To be honest, in most places, there's really little justification for tall buildings, other than to make a statement.

The taller a building is, the more it tends to cost per square metre of usable space, due to the more complex structural requirements, provision for access etc.

While there may be a case for it, in somewhere like Manhattan, land prices in Dublin, just don't justify building any taller than 8-10 storeys.

The reason Siptu want to build the tallest building in the city, is purely because it can act as a status symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Im all for knocking Liberty Hall as it really is an ugly as sin looking building but not with the proposed development, as in my opinion is just as ugly. Its to symmetrical jazz it up a bit.

Go skyscraper sure no problem with that but make it a more iconic looking building something that will make it stand out besides the fact its a skyscraper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have always thought it's an ugly building ,however I never saw it before the windows were damaged etc.

Why do SIPTU require such a large building ? How many people does it require to run a union ?

I reckon it should be re-furbished TBH

Isn't there a theatre at the bottom of it ? ( not often in that part of town )

As for the high rise debate , one of the best things about Dublin ( IMO ) is the lack of high buildings and the fact you can see the sky.

Blisterman wrote: »
    The reason Siptu want to build the tallest building in the city, is purely because it can act as a status symbol.

Partly, and partly because building higher creates more usable space. They want to rent out the extra usable space created to help fund the building.

Incidentally is there really much of a difference between what's there already and what they're proposing? It's just a slightly wider box.
    libertyhalldecision.jpg

tbh I'm beginning to change my opinion on this. Don't get me wrong, I wan't to see Liberty Hall gone, but maybe confining tall buildings to the Docklands wouldn't be the worst idea.

I'd love to see a new Abbey theatre on Eden Quay as part of a complete redevelopment (low rise) of that block

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The proposed new 'thing' is an abomination compared to the present monstrosity. Pull it down and put a garden with a bench in the footprint. On second thoughts that's not such a great idea as it would fill up with junkies.

Advertisement