Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    on shooting the parade with a long zoom, i've figured it - and its taken many years :D

So, what i've decided I need is in addition to Av, Tv, TAv, M, and P is a Fv setting to be available on my camera (focal length priority) - something which dynamically adjusts the shutter speed depending on what the current focal length is - or yeah,..... just the discipline to set the shutter speed to faster than the longest focal length of my currently attached lens (doh!).

(i know, i know, this feature may also be referred to as your thumb but hey a techno version of it could be nice :D)

signed: lazy photographer

ps. primes rock, and zooms are heavy buggers to be hand holding.

I guess that a lot of people don't like bridge cameras but something like the Panasonic FZ1000 (or Sony RX10) could be very useful for something like parades-
    • lightweight
    • 25-400 zoom
    • 1 inch sensor
    • f2.8-f4 (fastest depending on focal length)
    • electronic viewfinder
    • tilt screen

Ideally I'd own my Pentax Dslr gear, 2 top compacts; Sony RX100 iii (pocketable, has a viewfinder) Panasonic LX100 (not really pocketable but really lovely handling), the Panasonic FZ1000 or Sony RX10.
    Then again it's not about the gear but doesn't mean that I don't want many toys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Audio visual story form astronaut Reid Wiseman...location envy.

http://apps.npr.org/lookatthis/posts/spacepix/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Bored panda does throw up some stuff of interest from time to time - not always photography, but this is photography;

Vibrant Life Of 1970s Harlem In Street Photos By Jack Garofalo

Quite fascinating to see the past through someone else's eyes. Kinda what that type of photography is about in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Cork_girl wrote: »

DigitalRev Becomes Top Gear was great :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pro photoshop users get to use photoshop 1.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtA46JT2q_0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Ahem ahem **photobook**

Just out of curiosity, if anyone here has any feedback on the photobook, whether they are not interested in taking part for some reason can you send me a note? If you've any suggestions, or feedback maybe we can take it on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Admittedly drones aren't my thing, but this is just ridiculous.

eoglyn wrote: »
    Admittedly drones aren't my thing, but this is just ridiculous.

I would imagine the noise from a drone at a wedding would be quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I really like this Flickr viewer, just for the purpose of showing it off I'll use the Flickr page of the last poster here, flyingsnail, who's flickr name is '130199459@N04'

http://ihardlyknowher.com/130199459@N04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

cool, works with just straight usernames as well http://ihardlyknowher.com/dairequinlan

It'd be a bit nicer if you could
    1. specify background colour
    2. resized so that everything was the same width

cool, works with just straight usernames as well http://ihardlyknowher.com/dairequinlan

It'd be a bit nicer if you could
    1. specify background colour
    2. resized so that everything was the same width

That's because your url is set to dairequinlan too :)

the url and the username are not necessarily the same, we can change our url to our username too but the url name can only be changed once it seems

Anyone have 380 euro to waste?! :)

http://www.thepixelstick.com/index.php

mystic86 wrote: »
    Anyone have 380 euro to waste?! :)

http://www.thepixelstick.com/index.php

9e9.gif

Seriously though, i remember the kickstarter. I know its not really art the art i'm after but it's still cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's nifty but it's of very limited use.

Honestly I would love to play with one but not for €380

Honestly I would love to play with one but not for €380

a boards group buy???

then sell it after for €400 to some chump on donedeal - that's how i rationalise all my photography purchases, it's never worked out like that though

another tale of a woman who saw her photo being used on a t-shirt, albeit not a lot of fresh insight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pp3ry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I just has a moment of nostalgia.

Was uploading a RAW file to send to someone. I looked at the file size for this one image. It was 45Mb.It made me think of the second computer I bought. I ordered it from components and had it put together. At first it was going to have one Hard Drive but I had a bit of extra cash and had them fit a second hard drive. Friends were telling me I was wasting my money as I would never use 40Mb much less 80Mb. Move forward a few years and one photo would not fit on a single drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

A change in the law will allow photographers to pay rent on their homes & studios with ‘exposure’ instead of money.
    :D

http://beezlystreet.com/2015/04/28/exposure-now-legal-tender-for-photographers/

It's been a nice week for me:
    The photo with the big white suction cups as eyes in my photo. It'll be used in a UK nationwide print and media campaign. A marketing company approached me through Flickr
    17124690740_4004e52695_c.jpg

And I was featured in Steve Huff daily inspiration post

dinneenp wrote: »
    The photo with the big white suction cups as eyes in my photo. It'll be used in a UK nationwide print and media campaign. A marketing company approached me through

Cool, I assume you got some sweet sweet cash for it?

Cool, I assume you got some sweet sweet cash for it?

Not enough to buy a Sony RX100 iii but 'some'. Will hopefully get the RX100 iii for my upcoming 40th brithday.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Was thinking of posting this to the Random Thread, but maybe it's better here...

This camera shop, Foto Ernst, in Zurich has always fascinated me,

medium.jpg

and after some Googling, ... it seems it is no more...

Foto Ernst - Es lohnt sich nicht mehr

Third generation, 80 years of operation... Even if your German is not up to much, there are some great photos of the inside.

Even earlier this year (my picture is from 2013), the shop was untouched - it appears to have looked the same for decades.

The photo with the big white suction cups as eyes in my photo. It'll be used in a UK nationwide print and media campaign. A marketing company approached me through Flickr
    17124690740_4004e52695_c.jpg

And I was featured in Steve Huff daily inspiration post

The marketing company contacted me saying "We are looking to use the video on a few service station screens in the south of England – would this be okay with you?"
    I replied asking how many and for what period of time. The initial amount agreed was based on the print ad and " online film for 3 months usage" so I'm fully right to tell them another fee should be paid for this 'service station screens'?; after all their client will be paying for each.

The marketing company contacted me saying "We are looking to use the video on a few service station screens in the south of England – would this be okay with you?"
    I replied asking how many and for what period of time. The initial amount agreed was based on the print ad and " online film for 3 months usage" so I'm fully right to tell them another fee should be paid for this 'service station screens'?

I'd imagine so, yes. If they thought that the original agreement allowed them to use the video you wouldn't event be getting any notification on the issue :-)

I'd imagine so, yes. If they thought that the original agreement allowed them to use the video you wouldn't event be getting any notification on the issue :-)

Cheers, it's a funny one, the marketing company obviously trying their luck and hoping/thinking people might just reply and say 'it's fine'.

Presuming I do get something extra it'll go nicely towards the RX100 iii (which I think I need want and once I have it won't use as much as I though I would . Damn you GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

with Ruth Medjber & Stephen Mccarthy

I'm not a sports fan but some terrific shots in this interesting interview.

Advertisement