Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some French woman has a problem with The Irish

Options
  • 21-09-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭

I thought the French loved The Irish.

I reckon this woman's problem probably lies with her Irish husband of 32 years, not the entire Irish planetary contingent.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/the-world-does-not-love-the-irish-1479352.html

Sunday September 21 2008

Sir -- With reference to Brendan O'Connor's page one article: 'No More Mr (Irish) Nice Guy' (Sunday Independent, September 14, 2008), Mr Paddy, sorry for disappointing you, but, no, not everyone likes you.

As a matter of fact, it is pretty amazing how disliked the Irish are.

Of course, this is not said aloud as it is not politically correct. (French and German are the only two nationalities one can hate openly). Anyway as I was saying, keep dreaming.

The great craic: where, when, how, who?

Did I miss anything these last 30-odd years? I never see any craic with the Paddies. I agree, you sincerely believe you've got it, but noooooooo, wrong again. Only when you're binge-drinking do you dare open your mouth. And then, it is to talk total rubbish. You are loud, that's for sure. Well, one is Irish, so, one must pretend to be enjoying oneself. The usual topic is -- God, we are great!!!! Everybody loves us. (Please God, let it be true!).

Your accent? Well, first of all, like in any country, there are different accents. But again, no, no, no, no -- the Irish accent is vile! Last month, I was in Ireland for a week. As soon as I arrived in Dublin and was surrounded by that awful noise coming out of the mouths around me, I wondered how would I be able to last that long. For sure, to wake up next to someone with such an accent must be some anti-climax! Give me the south east English accent anytime. But Irish?

It is a fact that the Irish are totally ignorant regarding the cultures of thousands of beautiful countries and regions all over the world. Most of those cultures include story-telling, playing music, singing. But , again, silly us, we forgot, only the Irish sing and play music .... How many times do you want to hear the boooooooring Danny song?

So Mr Paddy, I've been married to an Irishman for 32 years. I know the Irish history (I made sure I read the books), I know what Ireland was like 30 years ago, I know the mentality of the Irish, I know everything about you all. And it is not very pretty.

The chip on the shoulder? Well, you have one on each shoulder, for balance. And that stops you from rising up. You see the other nationalities, (let's take the French and the German you hate so much) they are very secure about themselves and they are bloody right about it. So, they don't care what anybody thinks about them. I am French (ho la la, a frog!) and the one thing I am proud of is that in France, unlike in Ireland, we are very curious about other nationalities.

My origins are in Brittany. Brittany -- where people do not like the Irish. Why? Because you are ignorant. You are the ones who are not interested in other cultures. The Scottish and the Welsh are loved in Brittany, Why? Because they are interested in all those people coming to the festivals from all over the world to introduce us to their culture. But you? Forget it.

Even when it comes to business in France, you are known as not trustworthy. A lot of bull****, yes!

When I was in sales in London, the Irish clients were the easiest to get. Why? Just telling them, "I am married to an Irishman" was sufficient to get the appointment/the deal. They all thought they were loved. Idiots! Sometimes I even found it too easy.

I have a friend who is the director of a recruitment agency for hotel industry management. Well, guess what? Irish women are the most difficult to place. Why? Because they are vile. They believe that being a good manager is to bully people. Very Irish!

Irish friends? No, it does not exist. I am not saying there are no nice Irish people. But friendship can be difficult among people who begrudge the success of their neighbour. (Don't deny it, even the Irish say it themselves). For whatever reason, you are obsessed with money. In France, we consider it vulgar to talk about money.

So, to your last comment, that everybody likes you when you are rich, let me tell you something. No matter what, Paddy, and don't forget it, no amount of money will hide the smell of dung which will always stick to your magnificent boots wherever you'll go.

And next time, don't mix up "patronising you" with "liking you".

A nationality is just an accident of birth, which means that when people say, for example: "I am proud of being Irish", it is an absurdity. We do nothing in order to have a nationality. And to be proud of something, you must achieve something, work at it, like when you succeed at your exams.

But for sure, I am very happy to be French. Thank God for that accident of birth. How awful to think I could have been born Irish! Italian, Spanish, yes. But Irish! And maybe that is why deep down you're so afraid of not being liked. You realise yourself how pathetic you are.

As for the accent of my husband, he has a great musical ear, and maybe that is why he has hardly any Irish accent. Lucky me!

Anyway, keep dreaming.

PS: All the people I know from Italy, France, Poland, etc are French, Italian, Polish. Nobody calls himself/herself European. Nobody.

Name and address with Editor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

who cares what one smelly french woman thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oh no! Whatever shall we do?? Oh yea I know, remember we're Irish and if the Lisbon vote thought us nothing it showed us the opinions of the french doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

micmclo wrote: »
    Hardly a fair example.
    A lot of Irish people can't stand the grating Dublin accent like you'd hear on Moore St, Dublin or generally around the city either.

So, even the Irish hate the Irish? I'm speechless :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

some bs in there but to be fair most of it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

She sounds rather confused and hateful, nevermind the fact that she contradicts herself a half a dozen times throughout. Bit of an idiot clearly.

Anyway, I doubt there is a more loathed people in the world then the French, not that I particurly dislike them. The whole post stinks of someone who is deeply insecure, and best off ignored.

• Advertisement

I am so glad when she was talking about races we hate,she chose Germany and France(Sorry madame,I think you are confusing us with the Americans) and did not mention the english!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If she's wrong, she's not far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

unshaven cheese eating surrender monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Hagar wrote: »
    If she's wrong, she's not far wrong.

Yep, about time the country woke up to the fact. The "sure doesn't everybody love us Irish" bull$hit is wearing thin.

It is rather amusing to read a French person defend the Germans. Do they not teach French History pre-1946 in France?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Woah, that's one angry lady.

I hate the French and Germans? That's news to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh good its addressed to mr paddy,for a moment i thought she meant me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Orizio wrote: »
    It is rather amusing to read a French person defend the Germans. Do they not teach French History pre-1946 in France?

they do, but unlike us they seem to be able to build a bridge and get over historical wrongs done to their forefathers.

while much of what she says is true, that french woman is spouting a hell of a lot of rudness, ignorance and arrogance and if she hates us so much she is very welcome to stay in the utopia which is france.

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Yep, about time the country woke up to the fact. The "sure doesn't everybody love us Irish" bull$hit is wearing thin.

Most peoples act like that with regards to their nationality.

The only thing that rings vaguely true is the very end bit about many Irish people identifying themselves as 'European'(whatever the hell that means), but thats something in decline if Lisbon is anything to go by.

I understood that a lot of the French people were quite sad when the Germans got kicked out by the allies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

No matter what, Paddy, and don't forget it, no amount of money will hide the smell of dung which will always stick to your magnificent boots wherever you'll go.

Bloody hell!

But in fairness it is the Sindo; this level of illiteracy and complete trollop is par for the course.

they do, but unlike us they seem to be able to build a bridge and get over historical wrongs done to their forefathers.

Possibly you think your stuck in the early 20th century, because the Irish/English get on quite well these days.

My point is that its ironic she can defend a people who spent centuries butchering her people, and attack a people that largely like the French, and has certainly done them little harm. Its just one of the many absurdities in her post that she isn't rational enough to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

You mean someone came to a few snap decisions based on minor experience with an entire population?

Sounds like the perfect AH post to me.

I can see the woman, covered in blood, surrounded by bin-bags and kitchen utensils, typing out the letter, just before she puts the bin-bags in the back of her Espace and takes a trip the woods to dispose of her Irish husband's remains. Perhaps his name was Paddy. :eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I understood that a lot of the French people were quite sad when the Germans got kicked out by the allies.

Probably, half of the French spent their time helping the Germans, rather then, you know, being honourable and shooting at the Nazi's. Considering how the French government acts these days, and their apparent hate for free speech or enligthenment values, well hell its like the fascists never left...:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, I've lived in France and could have an equally long rant about the French. However, I think this woman has a very biased view about Ireland based on some bad experiences that she has had herself.

I had fun in France, but I found that many people could have a cultural superiourity complex that really became irritating after a while and bordered on ignorance very similar to that of the blindly patriotic americans you occasionally encounter.

I found people assumed that French food, french wine, french culture etc was vastly supriour to anything else and were unwilling to try anything new.

France has a very nasty side when it comes to being open and welcoming. I witnessed racist attacks on a collegue of mine by the police on no less than 4 occasions. Saw a lot of xenophobia and extreme racisim first hand.

I also found many aspects of the French and political business community to be very fixated on tradition incapable of change.

I've had to suffer through long dinners with boring, patronising people who actually were offended and corrected me I made a tiny faux-pas with my table manners and used the wrong fork.

All that being said, France still has some very positive and nice aspects to it.

I really don't think that this woman's rant should be taken seriously. No country's perfect, not Ireland, not the US, not the UK, not France.

Ireland is a lot more brash and does have a younger population on average and a serious alcohol problem, the UK does too.

Really, her comments are as worthless as an article in the Sun about how some random Brit hates the French...

Don't get me wrong, I like France and I get on well with French people and speak French. I just haven't really felt the need to make a long list of every negative thing about the country and then have a rant in a newspaper! It wouldn't be that difficult to paint a terrible picture of it!

I pity the poor husband who has to deal with such a hateful xenophobe!

Probably, half of the French spent their time helping the Germans, rather then, you know, being honourable and shooting at the Nazi's. Considering how the French government acts these days, and their apparent hate for free speech or enligthenment values, well hell its like the fascists never left...:P

Yes, definitely a lot of silence (and some nonchalant whistling) when a French kid asked his dad what he did in the war.:P

Eh, I wouldn't hold WWII against the entire French population. After all, Ireland basically adopted the seal the boarders, turn off the lights and pretend we're not here policy..

Admittedly, some Irish people did actually fight in the war, but as a state we adopted a self-preservation, self-centred approach.

It was a practical solution for a far-flung state that didn't fancy the idea of being re-invaded by the Brits or invaded by the Germans, but it wasn't exactly a proud moment in Irish history either.

The French stance even less so!

I suppose the only thing the article proves is that the Sunday Independent is the biggest pile of ****e in this country. No other respectable broadsheet would put up that load of gibberish, and its right in line with their editorial sections and general standard of journalism. Sensationalism and little else.

Well, I mean the article might as well be headed "Random Unrepresentative Frenchwoman has a Rant..."

Solair wrote: »
    Eh, I wouldn't hold WWII against the entire French population. After all, Ireland basically adopted the seal the boarders, turn off the lights and pretend we're not here policy..

Admittedly, some Irish people did actually fight in the war, but as a state we adopted a self-preservation, self-centred approach.

It was a practical solution for a far-flung state that didn't fancy the idea of being re-invaded by the Brits or invaded by the Germans, but it wasn't exactly a proud moment in Irish history either.

The French stance even less so!

Anythings better then the surrendur and collaborate policy that most took up...;)

In reality, very few of the peoples of continental Europe came out postively after WW2. Shame the English, Russians and yanks saved their asses, maybe the author wouldn't be around to spout her hate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That was all a bit mad wasn't it?

Well, whatever about WWII, I don't think this woman's opinions are very representative. The comments about the Irish accents are just plain racist there's nothing else you can say about them. She might as well say that she hates red hair, or blue eyes.

She might have a point about the beer swilling alcoholic tendencies, but they're equally applicable in every British city on a Friday/Saturday night too. There's a bit of a youth-culture problem on these islands that seems to involve substance abuse and driving annoying Honda Civics with UV lights underneath. However, at least they don't burn entire suburbs down as the disaffected youth of France do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Menapause. FTW :eek:

• Advertisement

She's entitled to her opinion, the worrying bit is that the Sindo inflicted it upon the rest of us!

Won't be buying that paper anytime soon anyway.

Advertisement