Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating from Windows Server 2003 SBS

• 03-12-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm trying to migrate from a Windows Server 2003 SBS to Windows Server 2012 and need pointed in the right direction.

The Server is a Domain Controller, runs exchange and has SQL server installed.
    There are only 7 users on the network.

Is Windows Server 2012 essentials where I need to be going?

I haven't done a server migration in years and existing server is about to fall over and I'm worried about trying to migrate it.

Because the network is so small I'd like to start from scratch. Get the new server, setup the domain, create the users and exchange mailboxes. Then connect the workstations to the new domain. Copy the user profiles from the old domain account to the new domain account on each workstation. Maybe use the Outlook .ost's or pst's to restore everything to exchange. What do you guys think of this as a strategy?

Where can I buy a server these days?
    If I buy a server I assume it comes with 5 Cals built in? Do I just need another 5 Cal pack to satisfy my 7 users? Do network printers etc. need a cal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You have a couple of options but you do need to be careful in your approach here.

Small Business Server is no longer updated. The last release is SBS 2011 which you can still purchase. This includes Windows 2008R2 and Exchange 2010. You can get the SBS 2011 Premium Add On to allow for SQL to be installed and for virtualization rights. you get 5 CALS included.

SBS 2012/2012R2 Essentials is Windows 2012 or Windows 2012R2 with 25 CALS included. However, there is no Exchange software included. It has consoles included that hook into Office 365 to allow for users to have Office 365 email accounts and have them managed by the server. The Office 365 accounts are subscription based and there are quite a few different types of licences ranging from Exchange Online P1 which just included email to Small Business Premium which includes Email, Sharepoint, Lync and Office 2013.

You should figure out if the SQL database is required as this could well have a bearing on your decision.

Your migration strategy is relatively sound. There can be a fair bit of work in moving users profiles on the pcs and it can turn into a frustrating task. As regards email, it would depend on what platform you moved to. There are migration tools for Office 365. For SBS 2011 i have used the forklift method for moving mail on many different occasions.

You can buy a server from many different vendors in Ireland or direct from places like Dell. I work for a Managed Service Provider who sells HP servers and can ask someone to send you a quote if you are interested but i want to stress that anything i write is my opinion and i amn't trying to sell anything :) There are also a few system builders that hang around the forums here that specialize in SBS builds who may well also chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Have done 5 migrations from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 and tried the swing migration for first 2 but ended up starting from scratch on all 5. I used exmerge to make files for each users in 1 year segments to keep file size down then copied to NAS, then imported on new SBS. All went reasonably smoothly, networks ranging from 10 to 30 odd users. Havent tried sbs 2012 yet, all of these places wanted on-site exchange so it hasnt been an option

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Done so many SBS2003 to SBS2011 migrations that i could say not a single one is the same !

Just to add to what "@mbroaders" have said:

Go for SBS2011 with 5 CALs + 2 extra.All the way to on-site hosting,stay away from Mr Cloud !!!

SQL Express 2012 has increased the database limit so you may be able to get around with SQL Express rather than SQL server (full version).
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993(v=SQL.110).aspx

Hardware ... any box with a quad core CPU,16GB or 24Gb of ECC RAM,RAID1 1TB hard drives or 2x256GB SSD and 2x1TB SATA.Dual NIC in nic-teaming as standard.Get the 3 years warranty for the hardware,Next Business Day.Upgrade the switch as well from 100M to 1000M.

Also,make sure that you have all software applications used on SBS2003 up-to-date as they will not work on the SBS2011.

I'll advise you to run the SBS migration rather than new domain.
    You'll be surprised to see how much "rubbish" each user has under local profile and it needs to be transferred.
    One annoying thing that happens in these cases is the loss of the NK" file,the users will lose the "autofill" of the contacts in Microsoft Outlook and they will blame you for they lost the "contacts in emails" :)

Subject to your location,i can follow-up with a quotation.

Have fun...
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Just on nk2 files. Easy enough to transfer them manually but can be a pain with Outlook 2010+ as it uses a different format that is saved into the mailbox. nk2edit from here www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html is a neat utility to have in hand which works with all formats and lets you import and export to and from the mailbox itself. Very useful and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

Cheers for the replies lads. I think I'll go with the clean install and move the user accounts manually.

Where is good to buy a server machine? (I'm up North)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Having looked at some cloud options and taking on board the comments from some Tech forums on here, I have decided to keep it all in-house. We are happy with the programmes that we have.

Currently running server with SQL 2005 and a separate server for Outlook email and as our web server. The main server is “tired” and running out of capacity. We have 11 Pcs on the network + 3 system printers and 1 scanner I like the idea/security of keeping we/email server and main ERP etc server as two machines.

Proposed new server to host ERP, exchange, data and printers.
    Server
    Brand , Intel Xeon E5-2609 2.4GHz (4-core), 4GB RAM
    Additional 28GB RAM (4GB x 7
    300GB 15K RPM HDD x 6 ( ssd options)
    Additional Power Supply
    Additional CPU

Software
    Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (Open License)
    (Hyper-V + Domain Controller + Exchange Server license)
    Microsoft Server 2012 Cal
    MS Exchange 2013 Standard ??????
    MS Exchange 2013 cals x 15 ??????

Backup - Full Server Image
    Shadow Protect Virtual Server Edition
    Shadow Protect (Annual Maintenance)
    NAS Box
    External HDD 2TB

Terminal Server (Optional) ?????
    With Server 2012 there is additional virtual server available which we can install and can be used as a Terminal Server which can be used for remote access.
    SSL Cert (2 year Certificate)
    Terminal Services Cal
    MS Office 2013 Open license
    (1 copy will be required for each remote user accessing MS office remotely)

I would have thought we could facilitate this single user easily with Logmein!!

In general, I would prefer to buy decent equipment etc that is well supported.

Would very much appreciate comments/suggestions/critique on the above. With the times that are in it, the key is to get to a decent standard with a proper future life to meet our actual needs, at the most efficient pricing.

Thanks

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I'm only getting round to doing this migration now.

The need for SQL Server has gone. I need Exchange onsite because of a dodgy broadband connection.

Is SBS 2011 still the way to go? If I want to go with the newer Windows Server 2012 R2 what are the options?

I was thinking of 1 Server box
    A virtual server running essentials
    A virtual server running some edition of Windows Server that will let me run Exchange.

Unfortunately,the wise guys at Microsoft (to read: those control-freak guys designing a new Cloud_OS) have decided to kill SBS product range completely.
    I have heard that few suppliers still have in stock OEMs copies of SBS but they may be forced to return them to Microsoft if not sold soon...

Option in-house:

Physical Boxes:
    Server 2012 R2
    Exchange 2010 / 2013

Virtual Boxes:
    anything

Hybrid Solution:
    anything

Depending on the business,budget,time and forecast,i may go full P2V conversion / and keep it going as long as possible.
    Otherwise,go for latest version of OSes and get new boxes.

Kind of tricky to give a professional clear answer ,too many options,too many unknowns !
    But,I'm sure you're going to have fun !

PS
    Just reading an article online.....and adapted to your post :)
    He was talking that in order your plan/migration/installation ... "to be successful you need to begin with the end in your mind!"

Advertisement