Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying Thermal Paste

• 14-07-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭

Have a macho hr-02 heatsink to install right now.
    A little sachet (2g) came with the fan containing chill factor thermal paste. I'm just wondering what is the most effective method for applying it the cpu/heatsink surfaces, because some guides on you tube suggest spreading it out with something like a credit card first, whil other guides recommend applying a 'single grain' sized blob of past and just placing the heastink on top.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Pea drop in the centre does the job, Pressure will spread it evenly and no bubbles. The paste doesn't have to cover all of the CPU's heatsink to maximize heat dissipation. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

pea drop is definitely the best way. Not getting full spread is better than an air bubble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

so pea drop and just sit the heatsink onto the cpu surface, no need to spread it about first?

There was some youtube video where a guy was spreading it about with a cc :D

Btw I get 2g, will a pea size drop use about half of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Btw I get 2g, will a pea size drop use about half of that?
    A pea-size drop will use a pea-sized amount. If your 2 grams looks to be about the size of two peas then it will use about half of that.

get a pea, cut it in half and scoop out the inner-greeny-goodness, then fill it with thermal paste, then remove the outer pea skin, then apply cpu cooler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

pea drop is definitely the best way. Not getting full spread is better than an air bubble!

Oh ****. I thought that it had to be spread out over the whole thing and that the spread method would be better at achieving 100% coverage!

Oh ****. I thought that it had to be spread out over the whole thing and that the spread method would be better at achieving 100% coverage!

It's not worth re-applying, but yeah, air bubbles = bad for dissipating heat

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4&feature=fvwrel

shows the two and how air bubbles happen with the spread method

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4&feature=fvwrel

shows the two and how air bubbles happen with the spread method

Damn I watched that video before my build without annotations so I thought the point was to spread it out to achieve 100%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Pea sized? I think some of you might be over-doing the thermal paste unless you're eating quite small peas. Arctic Silver used to recommended a grain and a half of rice, iirc.

Monotype wrote: »
    Pea sized? I think some of you might be over-doing the thermal paste unless you're eating quite small peas. Arctic Silver used to recommended a grain and a half of rice, iirc.

What kind of huge peas are you eating?!
    Pea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Monotype wrote: »
    Maybe they're big grains of rice. . . O.o

Advertisement