Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray booth

• 25-11-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking about building a small spray booth in the corner of my workshop. thinking of about 4 - 5 ft square. any body ever done this before or have any idea wat size fan i could use etc?? have compressor etc already and have done some spraying. wold only be for occasional use for spraying small cabinets etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 archtop

Hey, I know this post is an old one but did you ever get that spray booth made? I'm in a similar situation, looking to set up a small spray area for finishing small musical instruments. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dean bride

I done it build one to fit a car in to and I used car fans build I'm to the wall and a box on the other side of the wall with a pipe going out it was gold inside but it worked I used a double lexus car fan and a single fan... But they have to be hooked up to a slow setting other wise they will spin to fast and dirt will spit out of them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

dean bride wrote: »
    I done it build one to fit a car in to and I used car fans build I'm to the wall and a box on the other side of the wall with a pipe going out it was gold inside but it worked I used a double lexus car fan and a single fan... But they have to be hooked up to a slow setting other wise they will spin to fast and dirt will spit out of them

Looks like your answer is about 9 years and 7 years too late:D

Major thread ressurrection of the new year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 archtop

good idea about the car fans. This post is still relevant to me! No harm having a long, open thread about something obscure like this. Since my original post, I've learned that flame proof fans are generally described as ATEX rated, and are commonly available in the UK, but not no much in Ireland (as advertised). I'll be building a new booth in the next few months and the plan is to use a water wall as well as an intake and an extractor fan. I hope to post pics on completion; for anyone who might be interested, even in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

archtop wrote: »
    good idea about the car fans. This post is still relevant to me! No harm having a long, open thread about something obscure like this. Since my original post, I've learned that flame proof fans are generally described as ATEX rated, and are commonly available in the UK, but not no much in Ireland (as advertised). I'll be building a new booth in the next few months and the plan is to use a water wall as well as an intake and an extractor fan. I hope to post pics on completion; for anyone who might be interested, even in years to come!

Best of luck. I think there must be a halfway house between a fully professional set up and someone who would spray once a month - although the EPA might disagree.
    Have a look at www.rockler.com who will sell you a tent like structure for occasional use. As far as I can see extraction is vital to prevent a build up of volatile gasses but that same extraction attracts dust and crud into the spray area.It looks like a dedicated spray area is essential to control all this. Another reason to build a new workshop. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Not a great idea using a fan with an open motor sparks and all that i had to get a fan for spraying cost around £800 back in 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭legin500

One thing to be mindful with the water wall is the presence of legionella. This is a common problem in cooling towers (which use a similar principle to cool air). There are a good few companies in Ireland that will supply EX rated fans, they are expensive though. PM if you want names etc.

kadman wrote: »
    Looks like your answer is about 9 years and 7 years too late:D

Major thread ressurrection of the new year;)

How did u build yours

The car fans should pull everything out of the booth you wouldt need a extractor fan... Best thing to do is put them in to the wall and not over the car 😂 I made that mistake... The only thing with the car fans it gets cold but look you Stíl get good jobs and there clean but I wouldt recommend it if your painting different things in a rush everyday

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Interesting info here on spray booths and the dangers involved...

If you dont have the necessary safety setup, you are putting yourself, and anyone else in

the proximity at grave danger,

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Has anyone built something like this?

I've got a similar sized space as in the image to create a version of this spray area in my workshop, but I don't have a clue where to start. Most of what I've found online is American in terminology and me head is wrecked with all the 'suckling and blowing'.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Think what it is referring to would be a positive or negative pressure booth, positive I believe is pulling in fresh air (though a filter) with a fan to draw air through the booth and out the far side.

Negative, I believe is a sealed booth, with an extractor fan that pulls out the fumes and bad ju ju. Like your image above.

A neutral booth, what I call it at least, had a fan pulling in fresh air from the outside with an extractor on the opposite end of the booth pulling out the bad air. This is what I use in my homemade booth. Depends on what I'm doing also. Sometimes I just blow fresh air in and open the double doors to the outside and blow the fumes out and other times when assuming for better finishes I might just go negative pressure with the extractor fan.

Thanks SpitfireIV,

I've read online how some people have made walls of car radiator fans to use as blowers or extractors in their spray areas, do you think these would work or what sort of spec of fan do you think I should look for?

I've done out this floor plan with dimensions.

That information is actually quite disconcerting, I'm going to look much more closely at the health aspects associated with operating a spray area.

Advertisement