Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many kids do you want to have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I know it's something people think you just say when you're young but I've honestly always known I don't want kids and I only become more certain of that over time, I'm 26

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Gongoozler wrote: »
    That's got at least an undertone of patronising-ness.

You can very well know your own thoughts on this like that at that age. I've not wanted to have kids since around 18-20, and now, just before my 31st birthday, I still don't.

..i knew it...
    after i posted my reply i said to myself that someone is gonna get back saying how they are over 30 yadda yadda yadda. i'm wrong. yadda yadda.

i just knew it :pac: you couldnt reist too huh Gongoozler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭omega man

3 so far and would have liked more only for our 2nd was sick for a few years so everything was put on hold until recently enough.

Pre kids I never had any interest whatsoever in other people's kids, even family etc so was very pleasantly surprised that having your own was and still is something different altogether.

Each to their own though and anyone who reacts negatively to those who chose not to have kids (or can't) are closed minded people who only see the world according to how they live themselves. It's actually nice to have friends of both persuasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

2, and they're both upstairs asleep..
    I only read the op and hit reply straight away.. not going to bother reading the thread, as I'm sure it's turned into a Want/Have Kids versus Dont Want Kids fest..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

omega man wrote: »
    3 so far and would have liked more only for our 2nd was sick for a few years so everything was put on hold until recently enough.

Pre kids I never had any interest whatsoever in other people's kids, even family etc so was very pleasantly surprised that having your own was and still is something different altogether.

Each to their own though and anyone who reacts negatively to those who chose not to have kids (or can't) are closed minded people who only see the world according to how they live themselves. It's actually nice to have friends of both persuasions.

Very much the same as this, I would have liked 4. Had first child young, so was in no rush for another. 7 years later , had second. Things were up in the air with her being sick. So again, no hurry with having another, not for another 11 yrs. At this stage I'd not be able mentally for another. It's hard work dealing with a teenager and a toddler! But if things had gone differently, I'd have definitely had one more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I earnestly feel the polling options could be more concise!

And yes, a 'zero' option would be nice.

I want zero kids, so naturally I selected 25...as way to spoil my vote in protest.

anncoates wrote: »
    Nate.

If he's a boy.

It's a sign of the times alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

deadybai wrote: »
    Im a guy and I'd like 5
    My brother's wife wanted five too. Now that they have two, they don't want five. :pac:
    I'd say they might have one more all right though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Jayzus - you want 5 !!!

That's a lot of meat injections ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I'd like at least two but I could go as far as six. Not 26 though :p. Ouch!

• Advertisement

We plan four. Two done already. Two to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭DeadHand

We plan four. Two done already. Two to go.

Many hands make light work I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I want -1. Can I hand back the one I currently have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I really wanted kids. Never met the right guy, so that ship has sailed now. Very hard to come to terms with at the time.

I might get another cat.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Many hands make light work I suppose.

Are you suggesting I put them into child labour or something? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

100 or more

If i have enough money to raise all of them . haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Are you suggesting I put them into child labour or something? :confused:

Not at all, I'm suggesting the labour of having them could be divided between the two partners you claim to have.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2, most likely. We'll see though :)

DeadHand wrote: »
    Not at all, I'm suggesting the labour of having them could be divided between the two partners you claim to have.

It certainly helps. The extra set of grand parents has an influence too.

We have always wanted 4 since the start. It will be a little while before we get to number 3 - but so far so good with 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

3 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Zero I think. Only problem is finding a woman with the same viewpoint. I should get myself neutered just in case I ever pull again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Never wanted any. Have one now and can't imagine ever not having her. I might think about having another one some day if I found the right person but no more than that. Not too pushed either way though.

Blue Whale wrote: »
    Zero I think. Only problem is finding a woman with the same viewpoint. I should get myself neutered just in case I ever pull again.

I'd say there's a lot of lady posters here that said zero.
    You could be in luck😉

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

None.

Never wanted any, I just never saw the appeal.

And considering that I'm 40 now, chances of accidents are decreasing by the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I have one and another on the way. 2 is enough for me - no more after this. Mr Woshy is going to get fixed!

Tbh, it's being pregnant that's the worst part. If it wasn't so crap I probably wouldn't be so adamant about only wanting 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Blue Whale wrote: »

I think this is actually a really good idea. Not only for the obvious protection against accidents, but also because it signals to a new partner exactly where you're at and what you want. You won't have to worry about somebody coming along and figuring quietly to themselves "Oh, sure they'll change their mind" and then setting about changing it for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

FactCheck wrote: »
    I think this is actually a really good idea. Not only for the obvious protection against accidents, but also because it signals to a new partner exactly where you're at and what you want. You won't have to worry about somebody coming along and figuring quietly to themselves "Oh, sure they'll change their mind" and then setting about changing it for you!

True. At least its settled then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Any amount. Pretty sure I am infertile.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Where's the option for none? I have none and I ain't gonna' have any. Bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I have one and I love him , god I love the little fella. But I don't know if I want anymore, Mrs has started the baby talk now about the second one, company for him , age gap etc.

I actually felt like getting into the car and driving to Kerry until the road ran out. So safe to say I'm a little bit away from a second , thing's are just settling now with the first I don't want to be thrown back into waking up for bottles every 2 hours and all that right now.

Maybe in the future though, so I said 2 for good measure.

Advertisement