Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was your first paid job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Cashier in a credit union.
    took it part time (summer months) before college - but the manager/boss took advantage that I didn't fully know my rights - and didn't pay me for my last 3 weeks work, and I didn't even get 3 hours off one day to go to a doctors appointment I waited nearly 3 years for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Delivering papers around Cabra in the early 70's. Guy I worked for used to sell papers on the corner during the day (outside bank think it was AIB) and used an old pram to carry them on Saturdays with 3 or 4 of us young lads running from door to door with papers and collecting the weeks money. Got 50p for the day, felt like a small fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Picking strawberries on a farm when I was 15! Farmer used to come round and grab our legs under the strawberry bushes! Good times! I lasted 1 week and earned 18 Irish pounds with which I bought a Blur t-shirt. Got a job on the tills in Super Valu soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Selling stuff on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Picking cucumbers of all things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

Commis chef 1991 £1 per hour, double time for a Sunday , also £15 if you served the supper in the nite club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was working in a games shop for a while, I got paid in games, which I thought was amazing, till I copped onto the fact the owner was significantly ripping me off. Then it was marks and spencer during the boom, great time, didn't even need an interview, my mum just rang up the manager and got me the job, then I moved to Ireland, worked in HMV for a bit, then finally wound up in tesco which is where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Going around, from house to house, renting out videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Macavity. wrote: »
    Selling stuff on Ebay.

Jesus, now I feel like an archeological artefact :eek:

T'internet hadn't even been invented when I was trying to buy those jeans......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Factory hand with Irish Sugar in the 1980s.

£2 per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Picking strawberries on a farm when I was 15! Farmer used to come round and grab our legs under the strawberry bushes! Good times! I lasted 1 week and earned 18 Irish pounds with which I bought a Blur t-shirt. Got a job on the tills in Super Valu soon after.

Why do 90% of your posts sound like innuendo?:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

14 years old, worked on a chicken farm, 10000 chickens in two sheds. The first ten minutes of each day was taken up with you just getting used to the smell. Rest of the day getting scratched and pecked.
    After they were sent off for slaughter we had the delightful job of cleaning out these huge sheds that were just caked in hard chicken ****e.
    All for the kings ransom of 6 punts per day, good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Caddying in local golf club.

10 years of age and £5 for a round (approx 4 hours).
    It was huge money at the time.

Imagine kids waiting to ask strange men could they go off with them into the wilderness for a few hours these days?

Does it still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

12 years old, working 9-6 during MidTerm break and then Friday evenings and all day Saturday when school was on. De-waxing and hoovering out new cars and re-arranging and cleaning a parts department in my Dads garage. He left that business due to an injury and then I went to work in a petrol station for over 7 years....shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

crockholm wrote: »
    Why do 90% of your posts sound like innuendo?:D:p

That's your dirty mind. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I think I was 15, maybe 16. I was a waitress in Bewleys :) I wore the old school maid outfit complete with apron and silly hat thing. On my first day I broke all the teapots. I cried a lot and that was the day I also discovered how much feet could hurt. I only worked Friday evenings after school and all day Saturdays and I think I earned about £28, twenty of which I had to hand over to my mother. I remember the perks of collecting the freshly baked goods from the bakery just after dawn on the weekends, the smell was delicious and we always got a freebie for breakfast, a chocolate eclair or cream doughnut that we would have to gulp down before returning to work. Memories..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Mine was in a pharmacy in O'Devaney Gardens, beside the Phoenix Park. It was a really 'old fashioned' chemist, and smelt like deep heat and furniture polish. It was the late 1980s and I got £60 a week. A tiny bedsit at the time on the NCR was £25 , so I couldn't afford to move out.
    Loved getting paid on a Friday and going (underage) drinking with me friends. Ah, the happy simple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

hairyslug wrote: »
    Pushing trolleys in the underground car park in superquinn, getting paid £2.11 an hour,back in 1994

Doing trolleys in an underground car park doesn't seem too bad, my first job was a supermarket and nothing worse then having to haul in trolleys in the lashing rain!
    To be fair though, the oul trolley job wasn't the worst as you could take your time doing it arsing around the car park and you'd always pick up a few loose trolleys with €1 or €2 coins in them, people being too lazy to drop them back to the bay so most nights I used to come away with €5-10 in coins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Art teacher's assistant in an art centre that did school tours. I was 16 it was for the summer. Or before that I guess you could count babysitting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Picking strawberries at 12. Never ate any, but still made fcuk all, fairly miserable, but felt like a millionaire when I got paid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Altar boy !! , got 5 pounds for a wedding around 1982 , handy number for an hour on a Saturday to bang a gong a few times and look angelic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

First job was a kitchen porter in a hotel
    pharmaton wrote: »
    I think I was 15, maybe 16. I was a waitress in Bewleys :) I wore the old school maid outfit complete with apron and silly hat thing. On my first day I broke all the teapots. I cried a lot and that was the day I also discovered how much feet could hurt. I only worked Friday evenings after school and all day Saturdays and I think I earned about £28, twenty of which I had to hand over to my mother. I remember the perks of collecting the freshly baked goods from the bakery just after dawn on the weekends, the smell was delicious and we always got a freebie for breakfast, a chocolate eclair or cream doughnut that we would have to gulp down before returning to work. Memories..
    Second job was in Bewleys aswell in the kitchen, remember the sticky cherry buns yummmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Finished my last junior cert exam at 4pm on a Friday and started work at 5pm as a lounge boy in a local hotel. £1.50 per hour and my first shift was 12 hours long, at 5am I was barely hanging together and they said I could go home, my feet had gone beyond sore and I couldn't even feel them anymore.
    They told me to start at 3pm the next day and it was 5am again when I got finished. I was just a glutton for punishment and kept at it, over 20 years later and im still working in a hotel, just a different one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I pushed trolleys for £3 hour back in 2000 when I was 16. I got paid £60 a week in cash. I remember the first time I got paid, I was handed a small envelope with 3 Daniel O'Connell £20 pound notes in it. I remember feeling like a millionaire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

First paid job was babysitting for my neighbours when I was 14. Got €5 an hour. Started working in hair salon at 17. Started at €35 a week. Slave labour for awhile:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Fuel injection engineer/pump jockey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lab assistant for first years in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Can anybody enlighten me on what a Lounge Boy is/was? :confused: Is it a porter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Can anybody enlighten me on what a Lounge Boy is/was? :confused: Is it a porter?

They deliver drinks from the bar to customers' tables and collect empty glasses

edit: and usually help cleaning up at the end of the night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I am still in my first job 5 years later :) happy out too

Advertisement