Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I think my dad would love this thread, he was originally born in a cottage just behind The Shanty pub in Mulhuddart before moving up to Bridgits park when he was a young lad. If there are people on here that remember alot of this stuff you probably either knew my family or are my family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont suppose you or your dad have any old photos from that area you'd like to share?

Gaspode wrote: »
    Dont suppose you or your dad have any old photos from that area you'd like to share?
    I doubt it, he's not really that kinda person and I don't live with him anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Nolimits wrote: »
    I think my dad would love this thread, he was originally born in a cottage just behind The Shanty pub in Mulhuddart before moving up to Bridgits park when he was a young lad. If there are people on here that remember alot of this stuff you probably either knew my family or are my family.

Those cottages on the way up to the graveyard is it?

Those cottages on the way up to the graveyard is it?

They are on the way up to the graveyard but I dont think they are the ones your thinking of. There were two cottages just behind The Shanty/ Guilios facing the backs of The Shanty/Guilios. He was born in one of those. They were only knocked down a few years ago to make way for some flats.

• Advertisement

I know the ones that used to be there where the fishing tackle shop was. They new apartments are there now yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JesusJuice

Nolimits wrote: »
    They are on the way up to the graveyard but I dont think they are the ones your thinking of. There were two cottages just behind The Shanty/ Guilios facing the backs of The Shanty/Guilios. He was born in one of those. They were only knocked down a few years ago to make way for some flats.

One of those cottages was the Carr's place, am i wrong?

JesusJuice wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

it sure was, I am a friend of Alan Carr been in the house a few times. his uncle is the milkman Mr ayres or Ayresbo as we call him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sw15

Hi just to let you know that about a year ago a new heritage group for D15 was set up (South West Fingal Heritage) to try and gather photos, research and generally try to preserve some heritage before the housing estates and developments take over! If you're interested you can get details in Blanchardstown library.

(You mightnt know this but Fingal actually means land of the foreigner! Very appropriate given the new demographics ... which will be facinating for anyone looking at the census records in 50 years!).

• Advertisement

Might be a bit of a weird question for this thread but weren't Fingal supposed to become a county of their own a couple of years ago? Or was that just a weird dream I had???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It did for a while alright - there used to be a sign on the Navan Road at the Halfway House saying 'Welcome to County Fingal'
    They disappeared a few years ago, not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darach1

An aerial view of Blanchardstown, but unfortunately I cant find a date for it. Anyone care to try identify some of the landmarks?

aerial-view-of-blanchardstown.jpg
    This aerial photograph shows the area occupied by my grandfather's farm. The family house was at the double bridge on the Ashtown side of the Navan Road, and his public house was what is now the Bell, previously Davy & Phelan's. Is it possible to obtain a higher quality version of this photograph? I can post a photgraph of the pub when it was Corcoran's. when I figure out how to do this on the website.

JesusJuice wrote: »

I was with him today and thought of this thread, yeah one of them belonged to a family called Carr :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

An aerial view of Blanchardstown, but unfortunately I cant find a date for it. Anyone care to try identify some of the landmarks?

aerial-view-of-blanchardstown.jpg

I am finding it hard to get my barings on this pic! Is that Blanchardstown Church towards the top left?

It seems to be a different angle or is that because the roads are different! Is the road that starts from the bottom left the road coming from Castleknock? The turn left into Blanch village seems a bit more angular in them days?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Showing my age here but I think I can spot the old Crest Factory near the "main road" running through the right hand side of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

LadyW wrote: »
    Showing my age here but I think I can spot the old Crest Factory near the "main road" running through the right hand side of the picture.

You're spot on, the Crest factory at the bend in the Navan road I say the photo was taken in the 1930's, as the roads appear to be pre-tarmacadam.

Amazing to see the fields to the left of the second bridge which is where Roselawn is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

1930's? Wow, I had no idea the Crest factory was that old. Any idea what year it closed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sw15

Local author Jim Lacey (Candle in the Window) will be showing old photos of Dublin 15 at part of Heritage week in Blanchardstown Library on Wed 25 August 2010 at 7pm - so mark your diary! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

LadyW wrote: »
    1930's? Wow, I had no idea the Crest factory was that old. Any idea what year it closed down?

I'm no expert but judging but the type of stone work used in the building and the way the place is laid out I'd say the place could well go back to the 1830's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Enii wrote: »
    Did this have hidious knitted cardigans and white underpants in the window display?

Or am I remembering horrible window displays that never existed?

Yes thats the one -- and if you did venture into it -- it smelled old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

apzefezld5xit9pahf0q.jpg

Blue line is the canal
    Orange Circle is Castleknock Train Station
    Green Circle is the 12th Lock
    You can see the church in Blanch village in the red circle
    Pink X is more or less where the hospital/waterville is
    White bit is where the centre is now (more or less)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I was taking a look at the Blanchardstown Area Partnership site tonight and I came accross some old photos that I haven't seen before.

www.bap.ie

On the right hand side of the Homepage in orange halfway down, there is a Then and Now calender.

They seemed to have changed the site layout today. Just click on Bap News and the calender should come up.

Not sure where I got these, been in the pc a while.

Shows Dublin west in the 19th Century, many of the place names recognisable today.

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=7864

1848, hasn't changed much in the few years since the previous map.

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=7863

Love the spellings, Malhuddart and Courtduff etc wonder when they were changed or if it was a mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Great find.

Interesting to note that there is a chapel where the old presbytary is on the Porterstown rd. I read that this old house was where the very first St.Mochtas school was back in the Penal times.

Btw. the house still there. Its the beautiful old Georgian house just after the scouts den.

I could spend all day looking at that map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cool map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just above Westmanstown there is a place called "Pass if you can" ????

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think it's a shame that Upper Gunicks no longer exists. :)

Interesting that there was a second Huntstown at one time.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Just above Westmanstown there is a place called "Pass if you can" ????

Still there!

Check Google maps 53.385069,-6.458502

Advertisement