Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was your first paid job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Semele wrote: »
    I cleaned holiday cruisers every Saturday from the age of 14, for the princely sum of £1.70 an hour! They were rank mostly. I was warned on my first day to wear rubber gloves when cleaning the bathroom because they were rented to "foreigners, with AIDS and whatnot".

AIDS aside, the worst one I ever cleaned was a boat that had been rented to a group of 6 fishermen and their dog for a week. Between sh*t on the carpet and fish scales crusted onto every surface (including the ceiling) it was stomach turning. I associate that summer with Maddona's "Beautiful Stranger" ever since as it was the only thing on the radio!

sounds interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zanablue wrote: »
    When I was 13 I had a load of babysitting jobs and the money was used to buy clothes. My mother used to take her cut every week aswell.

What?! Cheeky mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I worked in the weaving department of a carpet factory for two summers when I was in school. The most laid back place, full of oul lads.

LenaClaire wrote: »
    I was a child model when I was 2-4. After that, started babysitting when I was 12.

The older they get, the cuter they aint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What?! Cheeky mare.

Paying keep is something every minor who earns money should do in my humble opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Worked in my local Super Valu at 15, was getting paid £3.08 an hour around 1999/2000. This was in the phase when the owner was hiring progressively younger staff (I had 12-13 year old coworkers), before he discovered that he could hire a group of Estonian girls and take back most of their wages by charging them for accomodation.

Picked up my first back injury due to dodgy manual handling when I was working there too...

cloud493 wrote: »
    Paying keep is something every minor who earns money should do in my humble opinion.

In my opinion, the little kids get should be left to themselves. I think the idea is if you can provide support as an adult, you should do so then - when your parents are heading to retirement. Though I did buy dinner for my parents with my first cheque (they didnt demand anything of me).

First job was kitchen porter of local hotel. Hard to remember what the wages were but I think somewhere around £6/ hour.

There are a lot of Strawberry pickers here. Unusually high representation of boards posters from Wexford or what?

What about the little feckers sitting in fold out chairs at the roadside? Shìte job that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Stocking the minerals in Quinnsworth, sweeping the floor and spot mopping. ..
    On Saturdays we had to clean shelves, and take turns collecting trolleys around housing estates.
    I was 16 at the time, in my late 30's now.
    Ironically my old boss is buried in a cemetery up the road in the Burren.
    A right character, like marmite you either liked him or didn't.
    I respected him, we were no angels.
    I worked there until I was 19 part time on school days and full time during the summer.
    Christmas time was the best, there was a great atmosphere, Christmas songs in the background, neighbours and friends coming in to do the Christmas shopping.
    Buying drink loads of it lol we used to have a laugh at them filling up the trolleys with slabs of beer, some with yellow pack larger other's with slabs of Bud and Heineken and the most popular wine was Blue Nun.
    I loved Christmas time as a kid and into my teens, im a parent now to a teenager Santa has come and gone.
    I loved the Christmas parties in Quinnsworth got well hammered and always got a snog at some stage, we were more innocent then a snog was a big thing.
    Getting served alcohol at 16 and 17 was common place during the early 90's.
    I was glad I worked since I was 16 I always had a job..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Scuba diving instructor in west clare, spent summers travelling aroud Ireland and abroad after college if the money was better id still do it full time! I loved that job and still do when I do a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Forgot about delivering leaflets. My friend's dad owned a company and we'd do it for him a lot. Must've still been in primary, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Working in the Sound Cellar. 50quid a week and free tickets to metal gigs - a young teenage heavy metal fan's dream job. Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

J Mysterio wrote: »
    There are a lot of Strawberry pickers here. Unusually high representation of boards posters from Wexford or what?

What about the little feckers sitting in fold out chairs at the roadside? Shìte job that.
    I was a strawberry picker but not in Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Summer work on my grandparents's farm. Silage, hay, topping thistles and other jobs £6 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

McDonalds on Grafton Street - 1991 for £2 an hour. I remember when the rate suddenly jumped to £2.65 - felt absolutely minted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Dunnes Stores working in the meat section. I hate working in supermarkets. Weird power struggles and politics going on between people. That Sunday double pay though!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Forecourt attendant when I was 16/17 in the early '80's. I got the princely sum of £1 an hour. I hated it as it was utterly boring and the guy manning the till was not only the spitting image of Monty Burns but gave him a run for his money in the "Evil" stakes as well. He didn't like me being in the office at all so would make me stand outside in all weathers as it "looked more professional" while he sat there with the heater on listening to the radio. If any of his cronies came in, I'd have to give their car the mother of all services while he insisted to them that I was "well paid enough, so don't be giving him a tip."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Checking my CV, it says that my first jobs was as a 'goods transport retrevial engineer'.

(I pushed trollies around the Superquinn car park.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

conorhal wrote: »
    Checking my CV, it says that my first jobs was as a 'goods transport retrevial engineer'.

That's a very clever description of a trolley collector.

Nice one :-)

• Advertisement

lol, taking the piss a bit with the CV there Conor.

conorhal wrote: »

Haha i've heard a similiar one for a cashier. It goes something along the lines of a consumer currency transaction coordinator. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Mars Bar wrote: »
    WTF is with all the strawberry pickers?

Summer work picking strawberries was plentiful in Ireland back then. I did it in Rush, Co. Dublin. As I said before, I earned 18 pounds in one week and did about 8 hours work a day. That was partly down to the fact that it was essentially exploitation and partly down to the fact that I spent most of the time making a pig of myself eating the strawberries straight from the bushes, in so far as you can make a pig of yourself eating fruit. I was like your man Agustus Gloop...only healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Super crazy prices Dundalk in 1986 - was paid £1.49 per hr. We used to do about 35-40 hrs per week and would only get paid for 24 - I was a part time employee. So hourly rate was even less than 1.49. It was hard work and you weren't treated too good. I wrote to the union which I was forced to join with my complaint and they didn't even bother their arses to answer.... But it opened up a whole new world to a 16 yr old boy in a very limited Dundalk,

McDonalds on Grafton Street - 1991 for £2 an hour. I remember when the rate suddenly jumped to £2.65 - felt absolutely minted!

Oh how times have changed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 x_Aoibhinn_x

I worked weekends in a video rental store when I was 13/14 for IR£2.50 an hour. That was bloody slave labour but at the time I thought it was great pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I mentioned above that my first job was stacking shelves in a supermarket at Christmas.
    But I also did babysitting (strange job for a boy); petrol pump attendant; paper delivery round; altar boy (surprisingly lucrative, thanks to the best man at a wedding often slipping you an envelope with folding money).
    This was better than going to the shops to buy groceries (family did not have a car). Our mother didn't tip. Cycling back with a few stone of potatoes was no fun.
    Before that at about the age of 10 we waited for the milkman to arrive in his electric van at about 7 am and "helped" him deliver the milk on our road. No charge.
    Where was child protection services when you needed them? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

a window repair person,paid me 1 pound per window to break about 5 windows in an area

then he would sit in his van down the street,with sheets of glass outside,it usully happened when the wife took the children to school,then they came back ,usully I just cracked it,it only lasted a few weeks as he got arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

braddun wrote: »
    a window repair person,paid me 1 pound per window to break about 5 windows in an area

then he would sit in his van down the street,with sheets of glass outside,it usully happened when the wife took the children to school,then they came back ,usully I just cracked it,it only lasted a few weeks as he got arrested
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Tesco bag packer 1997

Advertisement