Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

great to see this thread up for a bit of motivation after the marathon. Haven't been out running since as i have a tendon injury on the right foot so hopefully can get back into it next week, was aiming to do the waterford 1/2 but will just have to wait and see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Did my 4miler last night. Legs felt great and ended up doing the run as a pace run (9min miles) even though I probably shouldn't have! Will take it easy enough for the rest of the week though. After my motivation being so low recently (post-marathon blues still a factor), felt happy with myself for getting out and getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nules10 wrote: »
    I like that attitude :D look forward to following your progress Cambo

I suppose I should 'fess up. I was really hoping to do this 50k and that was giving me the enthusiasm to beat the post-marathon blues. However, events have conspired to prevent me from doing it. My wife recently moved jobs and the new job is going to have her travelling quite a lot over the next 6 months, which although was just a possiblilty previously, became a reality last week/this week.
    What it means for me (apart from having to do a lot more school uniform washing and lunch making) is that I just won't have the time to dedicate to the training required.
    It's strange that last week I was all raring to go, had the bones of a training plan together and was itching to start. Now I don't even feel arsed to go out and do a few miles of an evening. I suppose that will pass. SOme nice weather and a nice run around the maulin loop on Sunday should help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

I suppose I should 'fess up. I was really hoping to do this 50k and that was giving me the enthusiasm to beat the post-marathon blues. However, events have conspired to prevent me from doing it. My wife recently moved jobs and the new job is going to have her travelling quite a lot over the next 6 months, which although was just a possiblilty previously, became a reality last week/this week.
    What it means for me (apart from having to do a lot more school uniform washing and lunch making) is that I just won't have the time to dedicate to the training required.
    It's strange that last week I was all raring to go, had the bones of a training plan together and was itching to start. Now I don't even feel arsed to go out and do a few miles of an evening. I suppose that will pass. SOme nice weather and a nice run around the maulin loop on Sunday should help
    Aww thats a pity cambo... but on a positive note now you can work on your speed with the rest of us ;) Nice short fast distances ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Aww thats a pity cambo... but on a positive note now you can work on your speed with the rest of us ;) Nice short fast distances ;)

I guess I will. Must go and read the thread again to get the deets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Back running this week. 3 good sessions so far. Really enjoying the shorter runs. Feel like I am running better then ever doing 4 miles at a good pace and still have loads left in the tank.
    Bought a garmin today. Got the Forerunner 110 for 100 euro on wiggle.:)

Just wondering is there any races in mind for our group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Back running this week. 3 good sessions so far. Really enjoying the shorter runs. Feel like I am running better then ever doing 4 miles at a good pace and still have loads left in the tank.
    Bought a garmin today. Got the Forerunner 110 for 100 euro on wiggle.:)

Just wondering is there any races in mind for our group.

Think the idea is to aim for Raheny 5 on Jan 29th. As I'm jumping on your DCM bandwagon tho, I'm open to all suggestions :D

Anyone doing any of the Dec races?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shazkea wrote: »
    Will most likely be doing the Jingle Bells 5k, and the Clonliffe 5k 2 weeks later if that goes well.

Will most likely be doing the Jingle Bells 5k, and the Clonliffe 5k 2 weeks later if that goes well.

I was thinking of doing the Aware 5 mile as a warm-up for Raheny. I hate 5kms, I can just never get settled. Also waiting to see what Jingle Bells route is...if it's up Kyber, not a chance! Decisions!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I just want to get one out of the way, partly as a bit of a fitness test, and partly to blot out how crap the Donore one went back in May (the last race I actually completed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

shazkea wrote: »
    Think the idea is to aim for Raheny 5 on Jan 29th. As I'm jumping on your DCM bandwagon tho, I'm open to all suggestions :D

Good stuff will be nice to run a 5 mile again. Doing the Waterford half in a few weeks all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭meijin

I hope to do Jingle Bells 5k as well. My shortest one so far was 5 miles so it might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Just wanted to say thanks Ecoli for your reply. Really made me feel good about my running. I've felt that naturally my pace have gotten quicker so this suits me mentally as well as time wise. Will definitely follow programme as much as possible, maybe even rope in a baby sitter for a daytime run!

I have a torn hamstring so taking my time getting back into it. I went for my first 2m recovery run on Tuesday and although the hamstring was sore was able to run on it. My calf was cramping though, going to go out again today and see how it goes. Can't wait to get out for a good run, I miss my LSR's. Feel like I've put on about a stone since the marathon too-lots of eating and no running, not a good combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was - my time was 3 hrs 52 min and 19 sec !!! - doh :) I was getting excited again remembering marathon day that I must have been typing too fast :)

That's still a great negaitve splt, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi guys
    Well so far so good this week. I have managed to follow the program
    Tue – 2.8m, Wed - 4 m, Thur – 2.2m and planning 5m Sat/Sun

I really enjoyed the slow easy runs and thankfully there are no niggles or pains etc…makes me wonder if I could have pushed more in the marathon but no point really in going there….:rolleyes:

Weighted myself again this morning and 171.2lbs so maintaining the weight but have been more aware of my diet the last week and really trying not to eat unless hungry.. but the battle is always over the weekends!!!:eek:

Edit, just checked last weeks weight and its exactly the same at 171.2 so very happy with that!!!!

I've done 3x2.5 miles since Sunday. Stupidly enough, I did them quite fast and now I feel knacked again :(
    On the subject of weight, I have the opposite problem to you YoungAnne, in that I feel I lost too much weight whilst training for the marathon and now I'm eating a lot to get back up to what I feel is right (~12 stone, 6ft tall). I went down to about 11 st 8 lbs. Enjoying all teh food though :D

Enjoy the catching up on the grub...Cambo:D

I have just entered the Jingle Bells 5 k on 3rd December so that will be my first ever 5k race so will have a new PB to add to the list.:D
    Only problem is i have no idea how to race a 5 k, is it go fairly hard all the way, or gently ease into it and then lash with everything you've got for the last 2 k or so.... i always tend to go out easy afraid that i will not be able to finish but as 5 k is a shorter distance maybe i need to go faster from the start and pray to god that i can hold it????:eek:

Any advice??

Younganne wrote: »
    Enjoy the catching up on the grub...Cambo:D

I have just entered the Jingle Bells 5 k on 3rd December so that will be my first ever 5k race so will have a new PB to add to the list.:D
    Only problem is i have no idea how to race a 5 k, is it go fairly hard all the way, or gently ease into it and then lash with everything you've got for the last 2 k or so.... i always tend to go out easy afraid that i will not be able to finish but as 5 k is a shorter distance maybe i need to go faster from the start and pray to god that i can hold it????:eek:

Any advice??

That's usually my tactic because it's such a short race - I haven't done very many of them so other wiser individuals may advise otherwise. I can't say I enjoy 5kms but that's probably to do with my crap strategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Not sure whether to classify that as a swim or a run - 5.2 miles along a very wet and windy canal - magic :) Definately beats sitting at the desk. did the same on Wed & Thurs so a good week. Rest tomorrow and see what Sunday brings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's just like a marathon ;) you should be going at the same pace from start to finish. Except that pace is fast. Just like in a marathon, if you go too fast at the start you will pay for it in the second half. The fun is in finding out how fast is too fast...

(although some say you should plan to go a bit faster in the first k and fall away gradually from that. Even pace is easier to target)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    The fun is in finding out how fast is too fast...

Thats what i'm afraid of, but i guess it will have to happen some day....although i remember running crosscountry races at the age of 10 - 12 and after every single race, i'd get sick:eek:...i guess that was the day when i just ran as fast as i could from start to finish:D

i remember running crosscountry races at the age of 10 - 12 and after every single race, i'd get sick:eek:...i guess that was the day when i just ran as fast as i could from start to finish:D

Sounds like you already know how to run a 5k :D

Did they put up the Jingle Bells route yet (too lazy to look in Events thread :o).

I'll decide on 5 Mile or 5km after that. 5 mile route is very similar to BUPA/Great Run 10km

No, no route yet

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Thats what i'm afraid of, but i guess it will have to happen some day....although i remember running crosscountry races at the age of 10 - 12 and after every single race, i'd get sick:eek:...i guess that was the day when i just ran as fast as i could from start to finish:D

Ha,. That brought a smile to my face. I remember the sickness so well. I think I used get so caught up in the excitement of the thing too and then I'd tear off like a bat outta hell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Just signed up for the Jingle Bells run too! Going out for a run today, hoping the legs feel better on this one.

Wonder how many of us r going to give this one a go???

Cutex wrote: »
    Just signed up for the Jingle Bells run too! Going out for a run today, hoping the legs feel better on this one.

Wonder how many of us r going to give this one a go???

I just signed up too.

Did that marathon cool down race today. God I was wrecked after it. Definitely too soon after the marathon. Probably mentally more than anything. Ah well, it was lovely getting out in the fresh air anyway :)

I just signed up too.

Did that marathon cool down race today. God I was wrecked after it. Definitely too soon after the marathon. Probably mentally more than anything. Ah well, it was lovely getting out in the fresh air anyway :)

Fair play to you...i didn't get out today at all...but definitely will be out tomorrow.

Fair play to you...i didn't get out today at all...but definitely will be out tomorrow.

Its to be nice tomorrow too so enjoy :)

• Advertisement

Ye hoping to get out in the morning and then taking the kids to the beach for a walk!!

Lots of us doing Jingle Bells 5K. We'll have to arrange meet up so we can put faces to names!!!;)

Advertisement