Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching RTE Programmes Abroad

• 23-11-2010 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know how I can send my sister in Australia episodes of TV programmes that are broadcast on RTE or TV3? The RTE player on the website doesn't work abroad. Is there any way to download them or burn them to DVD from either the website or from the UPC box? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭garrycann78

she can watch the rte player abroad if she uses an irish proxy (irish ip address)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

RTÉ player DOES work abroad but rights restrictions means that we can only see certain programmes (Late Late Show, Saturday Night Show, News, Nationwide etc).

As for finding an Irish proxy that actually works, good luck :) Proxies are slow at the best of times but an Irish proxy that works is rare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stannyboy

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I take it there's no way that I can get them on DVD myself and send them over to her then?

That would be facilitating piracy, ( I know, I know!) and we can't allow that here.

There's quite a few shows I'd like to see myself but can't because the player isn't open to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

stannyboy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I take it there's no way that I can get them on DVD myself and send them over to her then?

You could get a regular DVD recorder and record them that way (the same way that the old VCR's used to work). I know Sky has a "Copy" function that is explicitly designed for that (you select the programs you want to copy to DVD; hit record on the player and set it off). It's not ideal, but will work.

I'm not sure of the legality of distributing programmes you record from TV though - I think it's only supposed to be for your own personal use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Possible alternative would be the Slingbox. Its really to allow you remote access to your TV channels at home from abroad by sending the channel over the internet. I don't have one & have only heard them mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you need a minimum of 512k upload. Eats cap too.
    Any decent PC with USB DTT stick can do the same thing, maybe better.

watty wrote: »
    you need a minimum of 512k upload. Eats cap too.
    Do you mean that a USB DTT stick can act as a slingbox :confused: Also, I'm right in saying that a USB DTT wouldn't allow you to watch RTÉ abroad...aren't I?*

*No sarcasm intended, just that I'm no expert whereas you definitely are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pkmember

stannyboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can send my sister in Australia episodes of TV programmes that are broadcast on RTE or TV3? The RTE player on the website doesn't work abroad. Is there any way to download them or burn them to DVD from either the website or from the UPC box? Cheers

Watch TV Abroad
    Hi - your sister simply needs to set up a private proxy connection to an Irish server. She get get a free 'step by step' guide at this site Watch TV Abroad

Thanks
    Paul

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Do you mean that a USB DTT stick can act as a slingbox :confused: Also, I'm right in saying that a USB DTT wouldn't allow you to watch RTÉ abroad...aren't I?*

*No sarcasm intended, just that I'm no expert whereas you definitely are!

You setup VLC or MS WME, or Unreal Server or what ever to re-encode the BDA tuner source to desired UPLOAD bandwidth of your PC. It uses the DTT stick as tuner/Digital source via BDA driver.

Then at remote location on Internet you connect to your private password protected personal stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

I have used Orb to watch my live tv and recorded tv while travelling. It is a novice friendly setup I think and It even works quite well on the iphone over 3g.

Just install orb on the pc with the dtt tuner, then log on to orb.com to access your media in a browser. The iphone app is not free but everything else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

you need a minimumof 512k upload. Eats cap too.

you don't i have 384k upload speed and the picture is great.

Your tolerance is more than mine. I've tested and found 512K the minimum I would endure. But as low as 64K (at lower frame rate, say 12.5 fps) and lower resolution is possible.

I've streamed live RTE over dialup 28K to London. Pretty dire I'm told but appreciated.

Most of these setups require having access in Ireland already, what about for those who live outside the country and want to watch RTÉ, isn't a proxy the only way?

Those setups feed RTE (or ANYTHING) to one person ANYWHERE.

Those setups feed RTE (or ANYTHING) to one person ANYWHERE.

Please forgive the questions...it's one of those areas of technology I've pretty much ignored, haven't bothered with Apple TV, Playstation TV, none of it :( Must learn more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

I have difficulty getting RTE Player now. When I log on to it, i just get a wheel spinning in middle all the time and the selected programme will not come up. I have no difficulty with TV 3 or TG4. I am living in Ireland. Anyone know whats wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Disable any ad blocks if you have them

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

lertsnim wrote: »
    Disable any ad blocks if you have them

Tried that, not sure if i did it correctly. But player still not working - all i get is circling wheel continually when i try to bring up a programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fbalfe

The Hola (hola.org/) extension for Firefox works a treat. Once installed, turn Hola on.
    Enter the rte player URL into Hola site box. Works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

surely this is against the rules.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

it is. So is dragging up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement