Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cafes/coffee houses/places to sit & chill for a while

• 03-01-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I feel hopelessly out of touch with Galway these days because for a long time now I've been helping to care for my grandmother, (who will be 101 next month). After finally hassling the relevant authorities, I've now got home help for a few hours most afternoons so I actually have some free time.

I just want to know a few places where I can sit and take it easy for a couple of hours with a cup of tea and a book, and not feel like the staff are going shoo me out the minute I finish eating.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Java's are very laid back.

I really miss Cafe du Journal on Quay Street, used to wile away the hours in there years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I usually go to "G" if I need some relax. You can listen to some live piano there sometimes as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I usually go to "G" if I need some relax. You can listen to some live piano there sometimes as well..

How much is a coffee there? €20 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ingalway

Ard Bia Cafe by the Spanish Arch is excellent, lovely atmosphere, great coffee/tea and the food is really good. Enjoy.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How much is a coffee there? €20 ?
    Latte with some brownie costs me €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most cafes would be too small for that, I think.

Lynch's on Shop St is large enough that you won't get chased out.

Maybe Providence on Abbeygate/Augustine Sts - it's got a front an back half, you're out of the staff's eyes in the back.

Not sure about the upstairs in the Born store - it'd be worth it for the view (on a nice day) though.

Maybe some pubs/hotels in the afternoon too: I did coffee in the Westwood (Newcastle) the other week, and I've been told that the Arduilaun (spelling? on Taylors Hill) is nice too.

A couple of hours might be pushing it in most places .. you may need to buy several cups of tea. Or be advertureous and try their coffee too ;)

Or if you just want a place to sit, try the museum: they have some chairs overlooking the Corrib/Claddagh, 'tis a nice spot when the sun is shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Hah, don't worry, JustMary, I wasn't planning on nursing a cup of tea for half the day anywhere in town. I just meant somewhere I'd be able to drink at my leisure for a bit, which is a novelty for me when it happens because it's usually when I'm sitting down to eat or drink something that my grandmother decides she needs something!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I look forward to trying them over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

House Hotel (foyer/front) is grand too for a chill coffee/tea. They have a €7 afternoon light menu (panini, burger/fish and chips even). They can be a bit slow to take your order but perfect for a lazy day with a friend or a paper :)

Front Door is grand in the afternoon too, if you aren't taking seats in a busy time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

neachtains is very good, nice warm quiet pub, with a fire, nice sats and old relaxed rustic feel...coffee and a book there is great...lovely music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Java's is a nice relaxing place to have a coffee. It's my regular place.

Lynch's have lovely coffee, but it's not quite as cosy. Easier to get a table at peak times than Java's though.

The Home Gallery (upstairs in Born) is quite nice. It's different. They have lovely cakes and brownies and scones that you serve yourself. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not very private. There's also a proper cafe area downstairs but I've never been there. They do lunches and stuff as well as the coffee and cakes.

Haven't been to any of the others mentioned, so can't comment on those.

Enjoy your free time, by the way. My mother looked after my grandmother for 4 years when she moved up to live with us. Having been involved in a lot of it myself...I know how necessary those little breaks are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

"Or if you just want a place to sit, try the museum: they have some chairs overlooking the Corrib/Claddagh, 'tis a nice spot when the sun is shining."

Sorry, dont know what happened, the quote didnt work...

Hi JustMary, where is the museum in Galway?

Kelda09 wrote: »
    Hi JustMary, where is the museum in Galway?
    By the Spanish Arch, check out the map:

http://www.galwaycitymuseum.ie/location/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

inisboffin wrote: »
    House Hotel (foyer/front) is grand too for a chill coffee/tea. They have a €7 afternoon light menu (panini, burger/fish and chips even). They can be a bit slow to take your order but perfect for a lazy day with a friend or a paper :)

Front Door is grand in the afternoon too, if you aren't taking seats in a busy time.

house hotel is a nice spot, as is the sushi place down the road from it. If you order a pot of tea they will give you a free top up, so you could be there for an hour or more at least just on a pot of tea-about 2.50 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Hah, don't worry, JustMary, I wasn't planning on nursing a cup of tea for half the day anywhere in town.

In your situation ... I would! ;) A coffee can last for 45-60 minutes ...

I've done quite a bit of travelling by myself, have got quite good at figuring out which places won't get stressed if you occupy a table with only one person, or for a bit longer than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

If you're not too fussed about the coffee and just want somewhere to sit and read, the library is a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

JustMary wrote: »

Maybe Providence on Abbeygate/Augustine Sts - it's got a front an back half, you're out of the staff's eyes in the back.

Oh no they do keep an eye on you! A friend and his brother were in there recently, ordered and ate their food and were chatting a while (20-25 mins) and decided to order a treat and more coffee, as one went to order, the other was asked by staff if they were ready to leave as they needed to clear the table for other customers.
    She asked how long they'd be with the coffees!

Not a dig Providence, I love the place,(well the food and tea at least) but maybe don't get too comfy!

I like places like the Front door or the Dail, nice fire, staff don't bother you too much and its big enough to not feel in the way at rush hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Java's are very laid back.

I really miss Cafe du Journal on Quay Street, used to wile away the hours in there years ago.

Whatever happened to that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

What's Goya's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    What's Goya's like?

Goyas is lovely and has nice cakes but unless it's changed a lot it's not somewhere you can sit for too long with just a coffee.

Antons on Father Griffin Road used to be lovely for just sitting around people watching and reading.It had a lovely atmosphere but I hear it's more busy these days .
    Cafe Du Journal was the best cafe in Galway. It's a real shame that it closed up shop.

Last time I was in Arabica in Salthil I was the only one there. I'd say they'd be happy enough to leave you sitting drinking a coffee and making the place look semi alive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

+1 about Providence. After 2 or three similar experiences where I was meeting people, sad to say they have lost my regular custom. I'll only go in there now if someone insists or the most convenient. Anton's is lovely but can be busy.
    If you're up around Westside, Bistro Bianchoni has really good coffee (pizza is divine) but most of all the staff are lovely. If it's packed then don't stay ages, but a lot of their biz is take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

mocha beans on cross street or arabica dominick street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Tiki Cafe in the Galway Shopping centre might be what you're looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Rayne wrote: »
    Oh no they do keep an eye on you! A friend and his brother were in there recently, ordered and ate their food and were chatting a while (20-25 mins) and decided to order a treat and more coffee, as one went to order, the other was asked by staff if they were ready to leave as they needed to clear the table for other customers.
    She asked how long they'd be with the coffees!

Not a dig Providence, I love the place,(well the food and tea at least) but maybe don't get too comfy!

I like places like the Front door or the Dail, nice fire, staff don't bother you too much and its big enough to not feel in the way at rush hours!

-well, as there is no place to sit and have a lunch for stuff - I could understand that... ( owner = nuts )

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

House hotel is nice.

I like the Meyrick (spelling?) on Eyre Square too, it's never busy when i've been there.

I'd also recomment the Living room 1.50 for a coffee & free apple, and nice staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

mike kelly wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that place?

Cafe Du Journal became Rodeo, an "Old West" themed restaurant, which has recently been changed to Jalapeno, a spanish/mexican-themed place. Bah, Cafe Du Journal was my favorite cafe. Scribblers was also great (now Kappa-Ya on Middle Street). You could order a spanish omelette and wine and just chill out on the couch downstairs for hours on end.

Riordans on Quay Street is a nice place - I've never felt rushed by the staff and they offer regular top-ups if they notice your coffee is running low. Can be a bit noisy at times however.

I would also recommend the little Japanese cafe (near the docks and the House Hotel) mentioned previously and Coco on Eyre Street for their friendly and laid-back staff.

The Living Room sadly no longer exists. It is now a fakey new/old pub called Sallys, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

The Living Room sadly no longer exists. It is now a fakey new/old pub called Sallys, I think.

It's Kelly's and its a lot more pleasant and cosy than the dingey Living Room ever was.... Definitely a great place to sit and relax with a coffee and the paper...

Kellys? Mm.. This place will always remind me too noisy music. Never been there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 popo000

Cafe Du Journal was the best cafe in Galway. It's a real shame that it closed up shop.

anyone mentioned that lovely place?

I was working in that place to be honest. Great craic:D
    here is some very unique picture of that place :

exsr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

popo000 wrote: »
    anyone mentioned that lovely place?

I was working in that place to be honest. Great craic:D
    here is some very unique picture of that place :

exsr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us